Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:20
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Sep 23, 2003

Hi all,

I am translating a text from English into Ukrainian using Word 2000 + Trados 5.5. When I type the Ukrainian translation into the target text box, it shows OK, but when I press Alt+ to proceed to the next segment, the sentence I've just translated appears above in gibberish, just like cyrillic web pages in wrong encoding.
What can I do? I've looked through all options / preferences tabs, etc., but I can't find the way to sort it out.
If anyone has a notion on this
... See more
Hi all,

I am translating a text from English into Ukrainian using Word 2000 + Trados 5.5. When I type the Ukrainian translation into the target text box, it shows OK, but when I press Alt+ to proceed to the next segment, the sentence I've just translated appears above in gibberish, just like cyrillic web pages in wrong encoding.
What can I do? I've looked through all options / preferences tabs, etc., but I can't find the way to sort it out.
If anyone has a notion on this matter, please help.

Thank you in advance,
Oleg
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:20
English to Polish
+ ...
Try tw_users newsgroup on yahoo Sep 23, 2003

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TW_users/

I aplied a solution described there long time ago and was able to forget it: everything works fine since then.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Refer to Trados online knowledge basis Sep 23, 2003

http://support.trados.com/

There are at least two solutions described for this behaviour.
But: changing the CP encoding for the OS is NOT as good as Trados pretends it to be. After that I got problems with other characters (eg german) not displaying correctly.

This behaviour is usually caused by wrong formatting in Word. If the text has a style "Standard" and it is set to lets s
... See more
http://support.trados.com/

There are at least two solutions described for this behaviour.
But: changing the CP encoding for the OS is NOT as good as Trados pretends it to be. After that I got problems with other characters (eg german) not displaying correctly.

This behaviour is usually caused by wrong formatting in Word. If the text has a style "Standard" and it is set to lets say Arial 12, language English, and then manually reformatted to lets say "Times New Roman", language Greek, then Trados tries to restore the previous formatting.
What you should do is to set the languages proper in your file, first by changing the styles accordingly and then by selecting the whole text and selecting your language once again. It should help.

The characters are stored OK in the translation memory, so if you get such a mess, it is enough to correct it manually in the document.

Trados in Stuttgart is aware of this behaviour since at leats 2 years and they are saying, that with each new version of Trados it should not occur anymore, but it does...

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Oleg Prots
Oleg Prots  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:20
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much! Sep 23, 2003

Everything seems to be all right now.

Dziekuje bardzo, Panowie!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with text encoding in Word2000

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »