Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:01
English to German
+ ...
Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange problem. After some time (about 20 minutes) my browser gets stuck while charging a web page (always a different one). I can still close the tab and enter a new URL, etc., but there seems to be no internet connection. Sometimes I start with Firefox, after Firefox gets stuck IE still works for a while but after some time it also hangs. The only browser that is still working when all the others gave up is the browser window from Real Player. It sound
... See more
Hello,

I am experiencing a strange problem. After some time (about 20 minutes) my browser gets stuck while charging a web page (always a different one). I can still close the tab and enter a new URL, etc., but there seems to be no internet connection. Sometimes I start with Firefox, after Firefox gets stuck IE still works for a while but after some time it also hangs. The only browser that is still working when all the others gave up is the browser window from Real Player. It sounds like a malware but I cannot find anything.

Meanwhile other online applications like Outlook work fine, they can down and upload everything.

It happens with all different browsers, I tried Firefox, Google Chrome and Internet Explorer.

Killing the process in the task manager doesn't help, Firefox even cannot be terminated.

Deactivating the firewall doesn't help.

I made a virus check in Safe mode, no result.

I ran Spybot, no result.

The only thing I can do is to restart Vista and wait until the browser gets stuck again.

TIA for any hint what to do. I cannot work without browsing the internet.

Kind regards

Noe

[Edited at 2009-08-13 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:01
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Some questions Aug 13, 2009

Hi,
1) The phenomenon occurs in websites which uses Flash, or is it completely random?
2) Have you tried to launch FireFox in safe mode (the browser's safe mode, not the OS), and check if it still hangs?
3) What other programs are running at the background? Did you install any new hardware of software lately?

Additional things to do, in order to isolate the source of the problem:
1) Please run a check with Hij
... See more
Hi,
1) The phenomenon occurs in websites which uses Flash, or is it completely random?
2) Have you tried to launch FireFox in safe mode (the browser's safe mode, not the OS), and check if it still hangs?
3) What other programs are running at the background? Did you install any new hardware of software lately?

1) Please run a check with Hijackthis (http://www.hijackthis.de/) - download from the direct download link at the top right cornet of the screen. Once you finish the scan copy and paste the results in the window at the same page, and you will get the analysis report - if you are not sure what to delete and what not, please ask.
2) Run a scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (the free version).
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Randomly Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

thanks for you answer.

It happens randomly. It just arrived on this website: http://www.ca.mdy.be/DE/semamdy.asp?Sprache=FR_DE&Suchwort=Passeport%20provisoire

2) Have you tried to launch FireFox in safe mode
... See more
Hello,

thanks for you answer.

It happens randomly. It just arrived on this website: http://www.ca.mdy.be/DE/semamdy.asp?Sprache=FR_DE&Suchwort=Passeport%20provisoire

Yes it tried the Firefox safe mode and also the new version 3.6a1. Always the same.

I just migrated from XP to a new Vista PC. Lately I did an update of the Atheros Ehernet driver. Should I try to undo that?

1) Please run a check with Hijackthis (http://www.hijackthis.de/) - download from the direct download link at the top right cornet of the screen. Once you finish the scan copy and paste the results in the window at the same page, and you will get the analysis report - if you are not sure what to delete and what not, please ask.

I'll do that.

2) Run a scan with http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php (the free version).

Also this one.

Thanks again and have a nice summer time

Noe
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Continued Aug 13, 2009

Also, which firewall (is it Zonealarm by any chance?) and anti-virus are you using?
Is your computer connected to a router, or directly to a modem?
When you said that you have migrated, do you mean that you got a new computer with Vista, or have you done some sort of software upgrade from XP?
How much RAM have you got? and lastly (and it doesn't really matter, but I prefer to have as much information as possible), are you using a laptop or a desktop?

The update tha
... See more
Also, which firewall (is it Zonealarm by any chance?) and anti-virus are you using?
Is your computer connected to a router, or directly to a modem?
When you said that you have migrated, do you mean that you got a new computer with Vista, or have you done some sort of software upgrade from XP?
How much RAM have you got? and lastly (and it doesn't really matter, but I prefer to have as much information as possible), are you using a laptop or a desktop?

The update that you have mentioned might be the cause, but since the problem is not yet isolated I cannot say more. As of now you are describing typical symptoms of some kind of malware infection. Once you complete the scans we might know a little more.
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Same problem Aug 13, 2009

Hi Noe and Shai,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with a recently bought Vista laptop (4GB RAM). Sometimes Firefox (version 3.0.13) works without any problems, sometimes it suddenly stops working (IE also does not connect any longer then) and I need to restart the whole system. In some cases I even have to do a hard reset because the Restart function in the Start menu doesn't react any longer.

I noticed that some websites ask me to download and install a Flash
... See more
Hi Noe and Shai,

I am experiencing exactly the same problem with a recently bought Vista laptop (4GB RAM). Sometimes Firefox (version 3.0.13) works without any problems, sometimes it suddenly stops working (IE also does not connect any longer then) and I need to restart the whole system. In some cases I even have to do a hard reset because the Restart function in the Start menu doesn't react any longer.

I noticed that some websites ask me to download and install a Flash player or update of one. When I click said link, the download simply refuses to start. Maybe it is indeed a Flash problem that causes the browser crashes. On the other hand the crashes do not seem to occur after these Flash update messages, but seem to be occuring randomly.

I am currently scanning my computer with AVG. Maybe that will shed some light.

Stefanie
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To be continued Aug 13, 2009

Hello Shai,

thanks for continuation. As I didn't find the driver to downgrade so I upgraded the Atheros AR 8131 to version 1.0.0.23. Waiting if something will change.

I have a new Laptop with Vista. I moved my settings with EasyTransfer one week ago. In the beginning I didn't have the problem.

I have ZoneAlarm and Avast installed (all for free).

I have 4 GB of RAM. It's an Asus U
... See more
Hello Shai,

thanks for continuation. As I didn't find the driver to downgrade so I upgraded the Atheros AR 8131 to version 1.0.0.23. Waiting if something will change.

I have a new Laptop with Vista. I moved my settings with EasyTransfer one week ago. In the beginning I didn't have the problem.

I have 4 GB of RAM. It's an Asus U80V, the new model, just came out.

I have to finish one translation (just restarted Vista) then I'll do the Malware check.

All the best

Noe
Collapse

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
general issue Aug 13, 2009

Hi Stefanie,

welcome to the club. It's hard to find answers on the web for such a general issue. Thanks for the Flash hint.

Best regards

Noe

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Uninstall Zonealarm Aug 13, 2009

Zonealarm has a known issue with Vista that, among others, cause the network (and browsers as a result) to hang or freeze. There were (and are) supposed to be some workarounds, and solutions in updated versions, but unfortunatley it never seemed to solve the problem on those computers affected by this problem - at least not in the several that I tried to fix.
However, before casting the blame on Zonealarm, please uninstall it - note: don't just disable it - perform a complete uninstall (an
... See more
Zonealarm has a known issue with Vista that, among others, cause the network (and browsers as a result) to hang or freeze. There were (and are) supposed to be some workarounds, and solutions in updated versions, but unfortunatley it never seemed to solve the problem on those computers affected by this problem - at least not in the several that I tried to fix.
However, before casting the blame on Zonealarm, please uninstall it - note: don't just disable it - perform a complete uninstall (and in the meantime switch to the windows Firewall - recommended for testing purposes, use other 3rd party firewall such as Comodo which is also free, and if you behind a router with NAT even disable the firewall completely) and try to work for a couple of day to see if the problem reoccurs.

Stefanie, are you using Zonealarm as well?
I would recommend you to scan you computer as well (links are in my above post) just to make sure that it is not malware related.
Also I will need to know if your computer is connected to the internet through a router, or directly to a modem.

Hopefully we would be able to isolate the problem.

[Edited at 2009-08-13 16:51 GMT]
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
AVG warnings and Zonealarm Aug 13, 2009

Hi again,

My AVG scan just finished and it detected a number of warnings related to advertisement cookies. I isolated those cookies now or deleted them, so maybe that's the solution.

Yes, I also work with Zonealarm. If the problem comes up again, I'll deinstall it and try Comodo.

Thank you for your help so far.

Stefanie

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Quite possibly Zonealarm related Aug 13, 2009

Now my gut feeling shifted towards the notion that this is indeed a zonealarm related issue.
Uninstall it at least for a while and check if the problem persists.

During the normal daily activity of the computer a lot of junk is created. This junk consists of temporary files (including cookies), logs, etc. I would recommend cleaning the computer once a week (or more frequently) with such programs as CCleaner (which I recommend -
... See more
Now my gut feeling shifted towards the notion that this is indeed a zonealarm related issue.
Uninstall it at least for a while and check if the problem persists.

During the normal daily activity of the computer a lot of junk is created. This junk consists of temporary files (including cookies), logs, etc. I would recommend cleaning the computer once a week (or more frequently) with such programs as CCleaner (which I recommend - http://www.ccleaner.com/ - portable version is available, and if you decide to install please deselect the yahoo toolbar during the installation, unless you want to install it).
Then run the tool, go over the different applications and settings, check and uncheck according to your preferences (for example keeping a certain cookie file such as the Proz one, etc), and your computer will be well maintained in this aspect.

As for those cookies related warning that AVG logged, I wouldn't worry about them, there is almost next to none chance that they are the cause for any problem. They are not dangerous, just might be annoying in the long run. Using CCleaner or other such tool get rids of the cookies.
Collapse

David Singer
David Singer
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Swedish to English
My Firefox freezes more and more too... Aug 13, 2009

My laptop is one year old (Vista). About a month ago I noticed Firefox started to freeze (7 times a day, before never). I've performed all the usual functions and still in the same place. Loads of RAM, every check you can think of, no idea what to do.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Firefox in safe mode Aug 13, 2009

Hi David,
Have you tried loading FF in its safe mode?
Have you tried to clean all temporary internet files (cache)?
What version of FF are you using?
Did you notice those freezes on specific websites?

Edit: one more thing that I forgot. Did you install any new software, update, or hardware recently?

[Edited at 2009-08-13 18:29 GMT]

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Used to happen to me Aug 13, 2009

Hello,

I would advise you to delete your firefox profile and then create a new one !

see: http://www.recipester.org/Recipe:Delete_firefox_profile_28162758

for the details.

Then you should install flashplayer plugin for firefox just to be on the safe side.

You
... See more
Hello,

for the details.

Then you should install flashplayer plugin for firefox just to be on the safe side.

You can get it here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

Or you can download add-ons for firefox from: https://addons.mozilla.org/fr/firefox/browse/type:7

Let me know if that works.

Cheers,

Moh
Collapse

Mohamed Mehenoun
Mohamed Mehenoun  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
word of advise Aug 13, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:

Hello Shai,

I have 4 GB of RAM. It's an Asus U80V, the new model, just came out.

I have to finish one translation (just restarted Vista) then I'll do the Malware check.

All the best

Noe

I wouldn't have ZoneAlarm and Avast running on the machine at the same time

see:

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Home-Edition/9241-2239_4-10634953-1.html?v=1

Even though your computer won't go as far as crash some problems are bound to happen as they aren't from the same provider...

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All browsers Aug 14, 2009

Mohamed Mehenoun wrote:

Hello,

for the details.

Cheers,

Moh

Hi Mohamed,

thanks for your advise, but it happens more or less with any browser. So I cannot say it's a real Firefox issue. If my last measures won't be successful gonna erase my Firefox profile.

Best regards

Noe

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Browser gets stuck need to restart Windows Vista

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »