Thread poster: Ricardo Posada Ortiz
Ricardo Posada Ortiz
Ricardo Posada Ortiz
United States
Local time: 04:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 19, 2003

I found a translation mistake on the Simon and Scuster's Spanish second edition. I've looked on the internet but can't find where to report it. Any ideas?

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 09:34
German to English
+ ...
there are mistakes in almost every dictionary. Sep 19, 2003

I note them on the respective page in my dictionary and will doubtless contact the publisher one day - the address ought to be inside the flyleaf.

HTH

Alison

HRiley
HRiley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
sometimes they're in there on purpose Sep 19, 2003

At a lecture given by one of the lexicographers for the Collins Spanish dictionary, I learned that, amusingly (and perhaps irresponsibly) they would insert a made-up word or translation into the dictionary so that they would know when their content was being plagiarised.

I have no idea if it's common practice though... The word in question in the Collin's dictionary was "jandote", a totally fictitious word supposedly meaning "handout"...
See more
At a lecture given by one of the lexicographers for the Collins Spanish dictionary, I learned that, amusingly (and perhaps irresponsibly) they would insert a made-up word or translation into the dictionary so that they would know when their content was being plagiarised.

I have no idea if it's common practice though... The word in question in the Collin's dictionary was "jandote", a totally fictitious word supposedly meaning "handout"

I have no idea if it's still in the dictionary, but I'm convinced that it was in there about 10 years ago (I don't have that dictionary any more so can't even check).
Collapse

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
How amusing! Sep 19, 2003

It was very interesting to learn about this trick of including fictitious words, HRiley, Thank you!
Claudia

xima
xima  Identity Verified
English to Catalan
+ ...
Share your discovery, please Sep 19, 2003

Could you tell us where it is?
I would like to mark that entry in my copy just in case.
And I'm also asking out of curiosity, of course.
Thanks!
Xima

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:34
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes! Please, tell us! Sep 20, 2003

xima wrote:

Could you tell us where it is?
I would like to mark that entry in my copy just in case.
And I'm also asking out of curiosity, of course.
Thanks!
Xima

I don't have the time right now to read the whole dictionary!!!

Regards,
Andrea

Ricardo Posada Ortiz
Ricardo Posada Ortiz
United States
Local time: 04:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers. Sep 20, 2003

The expresion I'm talking about is: así como, page 957. It is translated as: as soon as, which is not correct. The translation for "as soon as" is: tan pronto como, as it is correctly translated in the same dictionary.
Así como would probably be something like: just as or the same as.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to report a dictionary mistake?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »