How to archive + selectively retrieve OE emails and folders?
Thread poster: Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:28
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Sep 16, 2003

I am looking for a way to archive and selectively retrieve OE emails and folders, so as to keep my email archive offline (on Cd or other drive) and keep my identities folder nice and light. At the same time, I'd like to have easy access to any archived message and folder, through search routines, without having to restore the backup.

Is any of you using such a system, and able to recommend it? I've seen there are several shareware OE backup applications, but I'm really looking for a
... See more
I am looking for a way to archive and selectively retrieve OE emails and folders, so as to keep my email archive offline (on Cd or other drive) and keep my identities folder nice and light. At the same time, I'd like to have easy access to any archived message and folder, through search routines, without having to restore the backup.

Is any of you using such a system, and able to recommend it? I've seen there are several shareware OE backup applications, but I'm really looking for an archive solution (as well as a backup/restore one).

Many thanks,
Roberta
Collapse

Massimo Rippa
Massimo Rippa  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Hope it helps.... Sep 16, 2003

Roberta Anderson wrote:

I am looking for a way to archive and selectively retrieve OE emails and folders, so as to keep my email archive offline (on Cd or other drive) and keep my identities folder nice and light.

Hi Roberta,
it's quite easy to backup and retrieve OE folders (I do it periodically), but, as far as I know, it's impossible to retrieve and/or search for a single mail message. Maybe somebody else could help you on this issue, I can only give you the usual procedure to backup and restore OE folders in Windows.
Backup: Your messages (assuming you are using OE 6) are stored in .dbx files. The locations of these .dbx files differs depending on the version of the OS and OE you are using. For the Italian version of Windows XP they are sored in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Impostazioni locali\Dati applicazioni\Identities\{Foldername}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
But you can search for *.dbx files and find the relevant files (usually, for translators they are FAAAAAT in size). Then simply copy the whole folder on CD.
To retrieve these files from CD: copy them from CD to your HD, then uncheck the Read Only attribute.
Open OE, select File>Import>Messages then choose the version of OE you are using and click Next.
Then, in the Import from OEx dialog select Import mail from an OEx store directory and click OK. In the Location of Messages dialog select Browse then specify the location you have copied the .dbx files (If you don't copy them from CD to your hard drive and unprotect them, the import will fail) and click OK. Then choose the folders you want to import in your mail client.
For me works like a charm. Hope it helps you too. Ciao

Ivan Eikås Skjøstad
Ivan Eikås Skjøstad  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
O instead Sep 17, 2003

Roberta Anderson wrote:

Is any of you using such a system, and able to recommend it? I've seen there are several shareware OE backup applications, but I'm really looking for an archive solution (as well as a backup/restore one).

Many thanks,
Roberta

I would consider using O, instead of OE. O uses pst-files, and they are stored in C : Documents and SettingsYOURNAMELocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook

If you copy the pst-file, you can store it on another hard drive, CD-ROM etc. Then it is easy to open an pst-file from O.

I have tried both programmes, and find O much much easier to use considering the backup issue. (Which is quite important for translators)

Good luck.

[Edited at 2003-09-17 10:56]

[Edited at 2003-09-17 10:57]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to archive + selectively retrieve OE emails and folders?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »