https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/141619-automatic_table_of_contents_on_word.html

Automatic table of contents on Word
Thread poster: Maria Folque
Maria Folque
Maria Folque  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:21
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 3, 2009

Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm translating a 27 page Word document where the table of contents was made automatically.

That is, each title has beem entered automatically in the table of contents as it was written.

When I translate the table of contents looses the page number of each title and "Erro marcador não definido" : ( Error marker non defined ).appears instead of the page number.

Does anyone know what exactly I have to do so that I can keep the document in order ?

I'm working on Word 2003 .

Thank you in advance for your help.
Maria
Collapse

Piotr Sawiec
Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
English to Polish
+ ...
Polish version Aug 3, 2009

Hi, I am using a Polish version so I can give you only some approximate hints. Remove of the old table of contents or don't translate it. Translate the whole document and probably in some places you will have titles of chapters formatted as headings (1, 2 etc.). They will be used to create a new table of contents. If you removed the table of contents go to menu/Insert and (I'm not sure about the title) References/table of contents. It will create the table of contents automatically using the ch... See more
Hi, I am using a Polish version so I can give you only some approximate hints. Remove of the old table of contents or don't translate it. Translate the whole document and probably in some places you will have titles of chapters formatted as headings (1, 2 etc.). They will be used to create a new table of contents. If you removed the table of contents go to menu/Insert and (I'm not sure about the title) References/table of contents. It will create the table of contents automatically using the chapters titles formatted as headings.
If you didn't remove the table of contents right-click it and select modify - modify the contents rather than page numbers, it should do the trick.

Cheers

Piotr
Collapse

QUOI
QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
leave TOC to the last Aug 4, 2009

[delete]... someone has answered your question in another thread.

[Edited at 2009-08-04 10:27 GMT]

Maria Folque
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Piotr for your good explanation/help. Aug 4, 2009

Dear Piotr,

This is to thank you for your good explanation/help.

Now everything is running well.

Greetings

Maria

Maria Folque
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you words@large Aug 4, 2009

Dear words@large,

I'm thanking you for answering.

Could you please send your answer again, using this thread, please ?

Greetings
Maria

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:21
English to French
+ ...
Other thread Aug 4, 2009

Here is the answer on the other thread: answer from efreitag

[Edited at 2009-08-04 10:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-08-04 10:43 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Automatic table of contents on Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »