Problems faced in producing PDF documents from certain Indian language fonts.
Thread poster: Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 00:02
English to Assamese
+ ...
Sep 14, 2003

Recently I had a horrid experience in trying to convert a word document in Bengali fonts to a PDF document. I had sent the word document to my client who attempted to convert it to PDF. The end result was disastrous. Some of the joint characters transformed into something else (Readable but not what I had intended). My poor client had to take the help of a third party to set things right. I am told that this a very common problem with Bengali and Assamese fonts produced by C-DAC (Centre for Deve... See more
Recently I had a horrid experience in trying to convert a word document in Bengali fonts to a PDF document. I had sent the word document to my client who attempted to convert it to PDF. The end result was disastrous. Some of the joint characters transformed into something else (Readable but not what I had intended). My poor client had to take the help of a third party to set things right. I am told that this a very common problem with Bengali and Assamese fonts produced by C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing). How can I bypass this problem.Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:32
English to German
+ ...
A case for General Tech Support Sep 14, 2003

Hi Syeda,
I guess this issue would be better placed in "General Tech Support" - I took the liberty of moving it there.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-09-14 19:54]

[Edited at 2003-09-14 19:54]

Aisha Rishi
Aisha Rishi
Pakistan
Local time: 23:32
English to Urdu
+ ...
try acrobat 4 for bengali fonts Sep 15, 2003

Syeda Tanbira Zaman wrote:

Recently I had a horrid experience in trying to convert a word document in Bengali fonts to a PDF document. I had sent the word document to my client who attempted to convert it to PDF. The end result was disastrous. Some of the joint characters transformed into something else (Readable but not what I had intended). My poor client had to take the help of a third party to set things right. I am told that this a very common problem with Bengali and Assamese fonts produced by C-DAC (Centre for Development of Advanced Computing). How can I bypass this problem.

I get the exact same problem while converting Bengali word file into PDF, in Acrobat 5 and 6, it gets stuck while converting it, whereas when I do in Acrobat 4 it works like a charm, that is why I have 2 different versions of Acrobat on 2 computers. This is how you should always make a PDF file (any language)

1. open word file and click print.
2. select distiller as printer.
3. in the settings, unclick, send font to the printer etc.
4. click save it as file.
5. give the file name abc.ps
6. file types (all)
7. open distiller and set the settings for the appropriate printing with the proper location to the fonts.
8. open the .ps file, it will be converted to PDF automatically.

If you follow this rule, you will never have font problem.

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 00:02
English to Assamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This solved the problem. Sep 17, 2003

Thanks azure. I have tried that. But the real pain in the neck were the "Joints" or combination of characters that you would generally find in the Indian language scripts. You write 'Flu ', it is converted to 'Slu ' in PDF. However, I got this real help from Mr. George Nathaniel. It solved my problem. I am producing it toto for the benefit of others.

1. Make sure that you have sent to your client the eactly
same C-DAC (ShriLipi?) font which you have used,
2. that the cl
... See more
Thanks azure. I have tried that. But the real pain in the neck were the "Joints" or combination of characters that you would generally find in the Indian language scripts. You write 'Flu ', it is converted to 'Slu ' in PDF. However, I got this real help from Mr. George Nathaniel. It solved my problem. I am producing it toto for the benefit of others.

1. Make sure that you have sent to your client the eactly
same C-DAC (ShriLipi?) font which you have used,
2. that the client has copied this font to c:\windows\fonts
and installed it,
3. that when the *.doc is opened in Word, the Assamese font
is intact,
4. that the client is using Acrobat Distiller for creating
a PDF file (not from the Icon Convert to PDF as disastrous
results are common here) and
5. that under 'Add Printers' (either through Control Panel
or My Computer) preferably 'Apple Color LW 12/660' and/or
'Linotronic 630' are added as additional printer(s) to make
print files (*.prn).
6. If the above conditions are fulfilled, open the *.doc in
Word and print it by selecting, for example, Apple Color LW
12/660. This will create yourdoc.prn in a specified folder.
Exit from Word.
7. Now start Acrobat Distiller and select the options
'Press' optimised or 'Print' optimised.
8. Then open the previously created *.prn file (by default
you may see only *.ps but select 'All files' to see the
*.prn file). AD should produce the desired *.pdf file.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems faced in producing PDF documents from certain Indian language fonts.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »