Thread poster: Lorraine Bathurst
Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:39
Polish to English
+ ...
My solution Jul 28, 2009

When the image is editable in Word (such as Excel tables, diagrams, etc.), I simply open it and translate.
When I can't open the image for edition, I add a two-column table below the image: left column = source text; right column = target text. Every cell in the left column is one caption from the image. Putting the target text in cells makes the job easier for DTP: they can simply highlight and draw the translation cell-by-cell into the original layout. Please note that the original text
... See more
When the image is editable in Word (such as Excel tables, diagrams, etc.), I simply open it and translate.
When I can't open the image for edition, I add a two-column table below the image: left column = source text; right column = target text. Every cell in the left column is one caption from the image. Putting the target text in cells makes the job easier for DTP: they can simply highlight and draw the translation cell-by-cell into the original layout. Please note that the original text remains in the translation, so this is the method to charge extra for the extra work.
Collapse

Rob Edwards
Rob Edwards  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:39
Member (2008)
German to English
Translating uneditable images Jul 28, 2009

Hi,

I often have to do small amount of translation into figures. To do this I often use a couple of freeware programs, both of which are available for the Windows platform.

GIMP [GNU Image Manipulation Program] can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

GIMP offers more functionality, but is not quite as simple
... See more
Hi,

I often have to do small amount of translation into figures. To do this I often use a couple of freeware programs, both of which are available for the Windows platform.

GIMP [GNU Image Manipulation Program] can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

GIMP offers more functionality, but is not quite as simple to use as Paint.Net which can be downloaded from the following link: http://www.getpaint.net/download.html

The quality of the result is more than satisfactory when using either of these programs.

Hope this helps.
Rob
Collapse

Joethor
Joethor
China
Chinese to English
some suggestion Sep 28, 2009

right click on the imagine you want to translate. then left-click the "editor imagine" on the menue. You will find that all the texts on the imagine can be edited. however, those units of the imagines are not in their suitable location if you edited them. so you have to justify them with patience.

I can also introduce a software for you, the Microsofte Office Visio, a power tool to deal with the editing of imagines. I had used it to translate a file with a lot of imagines, and I thi
... See more
right click on the imagine you want to translate. then left-click the "editor imagine" on the menue. You will find that all the texts on the imagine can be edited. however, those units of the imagines are not in their suitable location if you edited them. so you have to justify them with patience.

I can also introduce a software for you, the Microsofte Office Visio, a power tool to deal with the editing of imagines. I had used it to translate a file with a lot of imagines, and I think it helped me a lot.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating the accompanying text on images

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »