Thread poster: Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:36
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Largely agree Jul 15, 2009

Francesca Pesce wrote:

You get your dongle in the UK, either from a phone company together with the SIM, if it is convenient. Or else you just buy one in a shop.
Then when you are in France (but you can look it up on the Internet from home), you get a prepaid SIM card for internet connections and stick it in your dongle, replacing the British one. (it is easy and legal)
It certainly is more convenient, because their is no international roaming involved. They must have some kind of interesting offers for prepaid internet connections: for xx days, or for yy minutes, or for zz Mb.

Indeed, it is certainly becoming increasingly clear that roaming data is a very expensive habit, and that some kind of local (i.e. French) domestic package is the most sensible choice, regardless of the fact I was hoping not to spend holiday time visiting mobile phone emporia

If you had to do many local phone calls in France for 20 days, you wouldn't think of using your UK mobile: you would get a French prepaid SIM card for those 20 days. The same goes for your internet connection.

Quite so. This is partly what I was trying to ascertain. I am more familiar with mobile phones and roaming pricing and what service you actually get for your money. So yes, if I had to make "a lot" of calls in France, I would do as you describe. If I just had to make "a few" calls, I would roam (and have done so in the past).
I would do a rough cost-benefit calculation, including non-financial factors such as the fact that I am supposed to be on holiday (did I mention that ) so, for example, I would not waste a morning driving into the nearest town for a French phone/SIM card just to save 10 euros, but I probably would in order to save 100 euros.

When I asked for experiences, one aspect was looking for indications as to whether my roaming data usage would be considered "a lot" or just a little. Basically, the kind of info that Ines provided about how much data she used when roaming. I now further appreciate that most European countries charge by time, so people outside the UK probably don't know how much data they use.
Having finally managed to ascertain that my data usage when roaming could potentially be "a lot", I am finally now, today, in a position to work out roughly how much that is likely to cost (potentially well over £100 and possibly double that amount), and compare it to the cost of the French options, add in a "holiday disruption premium" and see what the result is!

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
More on SIMYO Jul 15, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I suppose in France is the same as in Spain or Germany, also. You need only a USB stick for your notebook. You can buy it there if you have not. Then just buy a prepaid SIM card in each country for Internet mobile.

They have the best price, no need to pay monthly.

I do appreciate you taking the time to explain and recommend this company.
Unfortunately, they only deliver by post and only to French addresses, and I am not in a position to provide that - at least, not one I can rely on 100%.

But you have helped nudge me towards a probable solution, so I am grateful.

Charlie Bavington
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hotel WiFi Jul 15, 2009

Last post from me tonight. Part of the issue for me has been how to deal with the fact I will be "on the road" for several days.
Today, I had the fantastic idea of making sure I stay in hotels with free wireless internet.
So, with any luck, I won't need to play with dongles, roaming or otherwise, for the first 2 nights (which is all I have booked so far).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop / dongle / roaming internet access

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »