Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Sep 10, 2003

I'm wondering if you guys can help me with a mysterious problem I'm having.

Tonight I received a couple of different jobs from the same client - both MS Word files. I could open one as normal and do all the usual stuff with it. The other I could also open - but couldn't edit it! The text is there, but it's like it's hidden behind an invisible screen or something. I cannot place the cursor anywhere on it. Moreover, most of the options in the Word drop-down menus are dimmed. It is alm
... See more

Tonight I received a couple of different jobs from the same client - both MS Word files. I could open one as normal and do all the usual stuff with it. The other I could also open - but couldn't edit it! The text is there, but it's like it's hidden behind an invisible screen or something. I cannot place the cursor anywhere on it. Moreover, most of the options in the Word drop-down menus are dimmed. It is almost as if Word does not recognise that there is a text there!

I've tried to work out what the problem might be. I thought maybe the file might be read-only, but that's not the case. I also tried using different views, but nothing I tried made any difference. Maybe there is some setting that is causing it to be like this, but I cannot begin to imagine what that might be.

Or is the file simply corrupted in some way? TIA for any ideas you can come up with to help me solve this.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)
Collapse

Michele Johnson
Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:56
German to English
+ ...
Can you select all with Ctrl-A? Sep 10, 2003

Not sure if this will help much, but could you try selecting all (Ctrl-A, since the cursor doesn't seem to be working), copying, and pasting into an entirely new file? Or saving the file under another file name, and then trying to open it?

MJ

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Maybe the file is protected Sep 10, 2003

You can check if the option is enabled in Tools > Protect document.

If this is the case, you may need a password to unprotect it - ask your client (It's not uncommon for clients and agencies to forget to unprotect documents and memories).

HTH

Rowan Morrell wrote:

Tonight I received a couple of different jobs from the same client - both MS Word files. I could open one as normal and do all the usual stuff with it. The other I could also open - but couldn't edit it! The text is there, but it's like it's hidden behind an invisible screen or something. I cannot place the cursor anywhere on it. Moreover, most of the options in the Word drop-down menus are dimmed. It is almost as if Word does not recognise that there is a text there!

I've tried to work out what the problem might be. I thought maybe the file might be read-only, but that's not the case. I also tried using different views, but nothing I tried made any difference. Maybe there is some setting that is causing it to be like this, but I cannot begin to imagine what that might be.

Or is the file simply corrupted in some way? TIA for any ideas you can come up with to help me solve this.

Best Regards

ROWAN MORRELL
(WriteWord Translations)

Rowan Morrell
Rowan Morrell  Identity Verified
New Zealand
Local time: 08:56
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Document Protected Sep 10, 2003

Muja wrote:

You can check if the option is enabled in Tools > Protect document.

If this is the case, you may need a password to unprotect it - ask your client (It's not uncommon for clients and agencies to forget to unprotect documents and memories).

HTH

Hi Muja.

Yes, that's it! The document is protected! Now it's just a matter of getting the password from the client, or receiving an unprotected version.

Thank you so much for your assistance. Much appreciated. But thanks also to the others who offered comment, on the forum and privately.

Best Regards

ROWAN M.

Bob Kerns (X)
Bob Kerns (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Try saving the file with a different name Sep 10, 2003

I've experienced this problem several times and it often takes a long time to get the password from the customer since the author may be on a business trip or in an endless meeting.

What often (but not always) works is to save the file with a different name and then open and edit the new file.

Good luck !!

Valentina Pecchiar
Valentina Pecchiar  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Cheers! Sep 10, 2003

Rowan Morrell wrote:

Hi Muja.

Yes, that's it! The document is protected!
ank you so much for your assistance.

[/quote]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 14:56
Dutch to English
+ ...
Glad you found the solution Sep 10, 2003

but the same thing happens to me all the time, even when the document is not protected. Through trial and error I've found the following solution:
don't open the file directly from the explorer but open Word first and then open the file.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Two different kinds of protection Sep 10, 2003

Hi Tina,
but the same thing happens to me all the time, even when the document is not protected. Through trial and error I've found the following solution:
don't open the file directly from the explorer but open Word first and then open the file.

If I'm not mistaken, you're referring to write-protection, which would force you to store the document under a different name. The protection Rowan was up against protects the document contents, regardless of write-protection.

Best regards, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Open, But Not Edit, A Word File

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »