https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/138004-cooling_mats_for_laptops_are_they_useful-page3.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Cooling mats for laptops - are they useful?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
A little bit off topic Jun 21, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

So it always makes me wonder if I'm missing anything.

Aside from my personal reasons for using a laptop at my office - a few weeks ago my laptop got to leave the house for the first time. My husband and I spontaneously decided to travel: We booked a flight to Indianapolis and started a classic road trip - we rented a car and drove through Indiana, Illinois and Iowa, without having any itinerary or route. We picked whatever small town with a funny name that I would find on the map and stayed at a different hotel each night. At night I would write translations in the hotel room. Insane? Indeed. Fun? Unbelievable!!! Writing while traveling is one unique experience and I never realized the motivating effect that a change of scenery would have on my work. Even the clients were fascinated and kept asking where the translation du jour was written. Coming home, my next assigned job was: Travel in the Midwest. Beautiful timing and it turned out accordingly.

Get your kicks on Route 66, so to speak.

That's how I learned to really appreciate my laptop and all of the sudden I understand colleagues who love working outside their same old, same old office. The adrenaline level is incredible.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 09:14
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Laptop more comfortable Jun 22, 2009

My main reason to use a laptop is that I can take it with me when I travel, but even though that is the main reason, I would still prefer a laptop to a desktop as I find that it is more comfortable to type on a laptop keyboard rather than a standard keyboard.
Of course, I use a laptop with a 17 inch screen and a full keyboard layout these days, but even ten years ago when I used a 14.1 inch model, I found the keyboard more ergonomic. It might have to do with the fact that the keys need les
... See more
My main reason to use a laptop is that I can take it with me when I travel, but even though that is the main reason, I would still prefer a laptop to a desktop as I find that it is more comfortable to type on a laptop keyboard rather than a standard keyboard.
Of course, I use a laptop with a 17 inch screen and a full keyboard layout these days, but even ten years ago when I used a 14.1 inch model, I found the keyboard more ergonomic. It might have to do with the fact that the keys need less pressure to be pressed, a lighter touch. In the beginning, I definitely preferred an LCD screen to a normal monitor, but today most screens are LCD anyway.
As for cooling mats, it's not something that I've considered buying even though I'm working in a hot place, without A/C. I simply use Pepsi caps or something similar to lift up the back end so more air can flow underneath. Much cheaper.

Ulf
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cooling mats for laptops - are they useful?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »