Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Cooling mats for laptops - are they useful?
Thread poster: Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:21
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
A little bit off topic Jun 21, 2009

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

So it always makes me wonder if I'm missing anything.

Aside from my personal reasons for using a laptop at my office - a few weeks ago my laptop got to leave the house for the first time. My husband and I spontaneously decided to travel: We booked a flight to Indianapolis and started a classic road trip - we rented a car and drove through Indiana, Illinois and Iowa, without having any itinerary or route. We picked whatever small town with a funny name that I would find on the map and stayed at a different hotel each night. At night I would write translations in the hotel room. Insane? Indeed. Fun? Unbelievable!!! Writing while traveling is one unique experience and I never realized the motivating effect that a change of scenery would have on my work. Even the clients were fascinated and kept asking where the translation du jour was written. Coming home, my next assigned job was: Travel in the Midwest. Beautiful timing and it turned out accordingly.

Get your kicks on Route 66, so to speak.

That's how I learned to really appreciate my laptop and all of the sudden I understand colleagues who love working outside their same old, same old office. The adrenaline level is incredible.

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:21
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Laptop more comfortable Jun 22, 2009

My main reason to use a laptop is that I can take it with me when I travel, but even though that is the main reason, I would still prefer a laptop to a desktop as I find that it is more comfortable to type on a laptop keyboard rather than a standard keyboard.
Of course, I use a laptop with a 17 inch screen and a full keyboard layout these days, but even ten years ago when I used a 14.1 inch model, I found the keyboard more ergonomic. It might have to do with the fact that the keys need les
... See more
My main reason to use a laptop is that I can take it with me when I travel, but even though that is the main reason, I would still prefer a laptop to a desktop as I find that it is more comfortable to type on a laptop keyboard rather than a standard keyboard.
Of course, I use a laptop with a 17 inch screen and a full keyboard layout these days, but even ten years ago when I used a 14.1 inch model, I found the keyboard more ergonomic. It might have to do with the fact that the keys need less pressure to be pressed, a lighter touch. In the beginning, I definitely preferred an LCD screen to a normal monitor, but today most screens are LCD anyway.
As for cooling mats, it's not something that I've considered buying even though I'm working in a hot place, without A/C. I simply use Pepsi caps or something similar to lift up the back end so more air can flow underneath. Much cheaper.

Ulf
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cooling mats for laptops - are they useful?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »