Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:15
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sep 1, 2003

I have to make an offer for a translation of an Internet site. What I get are html files and php files. After opening the index in Explorer I can clik on the links, but the opened pages are blank. When I open a php file in Dreamweaver, it is empty to. However, I can very well analyse all html files with Trados and I get then some results. Shall I simply forget those php´s? Trados seems not to have an option to analyse php files.

MTIA for any help.

Kind regards
Je
... See more
I have to make an offer for a translation of an Internet site. What I get are html files and php files. After opening the index in Explorer I can clik on the links, but the opened pages are blank. When I open a php file in Dreamweaver, it is empty to. However, I can very well analyse all html files with Trados and I get then some results. Shall I simply forget those php´s? Trados seems not to have an option to analyse php files.

MTIA for any help.

Kind regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Gaelle Chevalier
Gaelle Chevalier
Canada
Local time: 12:15
English to French
+ ...
in Dreamweaver.. Sep 1, 2003

...you should see the whole code when clicking on "View html source".
If they don't ask you to translate anything in the PHP files I would not worry about it. However, there might be some sentences within the PHP code that need to be translated, for example sentences that are supposed to be displayed on the web page after a certain action is done.
If you still cannot see the code in Dreamweaver, you can open the PHP files using Notepad or some other basic text processor. Or you can g
... See more
...you should see the whole code when clicking on "View html source".
If they don't ask you to translate anything in the PHP files I would not worry about it. However, there might be some sentences within the PHP code that need to be translated, for example sentences that are supposed to be displayed on the web page after a certain action is done.
If you still cannot see the code in Dreamweaver, you can open the PHP files using Notepad or some other basic text processor. Or you can got to Word> File>Open>Select text document (instead of Word) and browse to find the PHP file. Word however sometimes does not always give you the best results.

If you are still stuck you can email me

Good luck!
Collapse

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:15
English to German
+ ...
You could open them in a text editor or Word Sep 1, 2003

Then you can search for single and double quotes to find the translatable strings. If you are lucky they are so few that you won't even need to extract them.
You could also import PHP files into Déjà Vu X.
Good luck,
Harry

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:15
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perhaps this might help you... Sep 2, 2003

I've found a site, with tutorials and explations about PHP, Hipertext Preprocessor . It seems to be a tagged language similar to HTML. In this case, perhaps you might be able to edit it as a text file, using Tag Editor.

I've copied and pasted some information from that site:

What is PHP?
PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. If you are new to PHP and want to get some idea of how it works, try the introductory tutorial. After that, check out the online manual, and the example archive sites and some of the other resources available in the links section.

Regards,
Clarisa Moraña

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
My experience Sep 2, 2003

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I have to make an offer for a translation of an Internet site.
Jerzy

The best way is to ask your customer to provide you with the content (appearing on php-generated pages) in the form of a two-column table (Word/Excel)with the source text in the first column. Their webmaster can take care that the translated strings come into their proper places.

Anthony Green
Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
PHP uses a database Sep 2, 2003

Vesna is quite right, as PHP contains numeric references to strings of text, and cannot be translated on its own.
So in layman's terms the code will be "similar" to HTML for the formatting and will then say to the browser "Get me sentence number one from the database ansd write it here".
If you have access to the database (or to an export in Word/Excel), you'll be able to translate the source text.

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
I have to make an offer for a translation of an Internet site.
Jerzy

The best way is to ask your customer to provide you with the content (appearing on php-generated pages) in the form of a two-column table (Word/Excel)with the source text in the first column. Their webmaster can take care that the translated strings come into their proper places.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you very much Sep 2, 2003

In the meantime I contacted the client and am awaiting some more details about those PHPs from him.
The set of files I get contains a small database too, so perhaps it is the one used by the PHPs, which would make the whole thing easy to offer and then to translate afterwards.

Many thanks for all advices.

Kind regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What shall I do about PHP files?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »