Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:01
Czech to German
+ ...
Aug 31, 2003

Hi everybody,

this is just a small question but I could not find a solution in Word's Help: When translating from English to German I always have to change currencies from xx.xx to xx,xx one by one. As this is a bit annoying when having lots of such numbers I wonder if there is any possibility to have it changed automatically before starting. CTRL+H cannot be used in this case and changing the language only results in green or red underlining.

Thanks in advance for all
... See more
Hi everybody,

this is just a small question but I could not find a solution in Word's Help: When translating from English to German I always have to change currencies from xx.xx to xx,xx one by one. As this is a bit annoying when having lots of such numbers I wonder if there is any possibility to have it changed automatically before starting. CTRL+H cannot be used in this case and changing the language only results in green or red underlining.

Thanks in advance for all tips and hints!

Charlotte
Collapse

Christopher Schmidt
Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:01
German to English
+ ...
decimal separator Sep 1, 2003

I think you might need to change the country-specific settings in the control panel. There, you can select options such as currency, time, and decimal separators, e.g. "." and ",".

Regards
cs

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi everybody,

Charlotte

murat Karahan
murat Karahan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 19:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
a suggestion Sep 1, 2003

Dear Charlotte
Here's my suggestion. I believe all the periods in the word file would normally be followed with a space, except for those that are immediately followed with a manual line break (this is word term for enter actually). Here's my suggestion just give it a try. You're going the use the find/replace function.
1- write .^p (shift+3 then p - this is manual line break) in the find box.
2- write . ^p (you may not see it here, there's a space between them) in the replac
... See more
Dear Charlotte
Here's my suggestion. I believe all the periods in the word file would normally be followed with a space, except for those that are immediately followed with a manual line break (this is word term for enter actually). Here's my suggestion just give it a try. You're going the use the find/replace function.
1- write .^p (shift+3 then p - this is manual line break) in the find box.
2- write . ^p (you may not see it here, there's a space between them) in the replace box and click on replace all.
This way you made sure that all periods in the file are followed by a space, except for those that are in the currency parts.
3- this time write "." in the find box
4- write ". " in the replace box and click on replace all.
This way all periods are followed by two spaces and the periods in the currency by just one space.
Now things may become easier or completely insane. Use find and replace again. This time write ". " (two spaces) in the find box and an "*" asterix (or any character that doesn't appear in the file) into the replace box. This way you're turning all the full stops into "*" except for those in the currency parts, they are still ". " Now use find and replace again, write ". " in the find box and "," in the replace box. Now all the currency is like xx,xx. And finally turn all the asterix into ". " (you should know how to do it by now). This is all I can think of, it's like encoding but hope this helps.
But caution, if there are dates in the file like 01.09.2003 they will turn into 01,09,2003....

Charlotte Blank wrote:

Hi everybody,

Charlotte

[Edited at 2003-09-01 07:15]
Collapse

Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
English to Italian
Use the 'change' feature in Word Sep 1, 2003

Hi Charlotte
to change the occurrencies of "number.number" to "number,number" there is an option in 'change' feature in Word.
If you clic on 'Special' button in 'Advanced' section of 'Find and replace' window, you can choos the 'Any number' option (^#).

So, if in Find box you type ^#.^#
and
in Change with box you type ^#,^#

You'll be able to change all the occurrencies of "number.number" to "number,number".
I suggest to check every occurenc
... See more
Hi Charlotte
to change the occurrencies of "number.number" to "number,number" there is an option in 'change' feature in Word.
If you clic on 'Special' button in 'Advanced' section of 'Find and replace' window, you can choos the 'Any number' option (^#).

and

You'll be able to change all the occurrencies of "number.number" to "number,number".
I suggest to check every occurency, not to use the 'Change all'.

Ciao
Bruno
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Another suggestion Sep 1, 2003

This appears to work for Word 97:

Tools > Macro > Record New Macro

Call your macro cbcount and confirm with OK

Edit > Replace
Check "Use wildcards"
Replace
[0123456789]*.[0123456789][0123456789]
with
^&ettolrahc
Replace all

Replace
[0123456789][0123456789]ettolrahc
with
knalb^&

Uncheck "Use wildcards"
Replace
.knalb
with

Replace
etto
... See more
This appears to work for Word 97:

Tools > Macro > Record New Macro

Call your macro cbcount and confirm with OK

Edit > Replace
Check "Use wildcards"
Replace
[0123456789]*.[0123456789][0123456789]
with
^&ettolrahc
Replace all

Replace
[0123456789][0123456789]ettolrahc
with
knalb^&

Uncheck "Use wildcards"
Replace
.knalb
with

Replace
ettolrahc
with nothing

Close Find & Replace box

Tools > Macro > Stop Recording

Then, in future, simply
Tools > Macro > Macros > cbcount

I'm sure it can be done more neatly, though.

Marc
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
something simpler (perhaps?) Sep 1, 2003

The "replace all" function is useful, but dangerous. It tends to change things you didn't think about and... you get glitches in the text.

My way is this:
If the values are in tables, just mark the cells containing the values (not the whole table) and replace all "." with ","
Word will then ask you "finished replacing marked text, continue replacing elsewhere in document?" (or something similar). To this, you say "no".
When you get to the next table and repeat the
... See more
The "replace all" function is useful, but dangerous. It tends to change things you didn't think about and... you get glitches in the text.

My way is this:
If the values are in tables, just mark the cells containing the values (not the whole table) and replace all "." with ","
Word will then ask you "finished replacing marked text, continue replacing elsewhere in document?" (or something similar). To this, you say "no".
When you get to the next table and repeat the procedure, the . and , replacement should be "default" in the find and replace dialogue.

Values in the text proper I replace (alas) manually, unless they are grouped in a way which makes it possible to make a group replacement, but this is rare.

Like I said, I am wary of making global replacements, unless I'm dead sure they'll work without unexpected changes.

Also, to Murat: on my keyboard, the ^ sign is shift+6.

Besides, you can get all the special (line breaks, non-dividing spaces etc.) replacements by clicking on the "more" button in the find/replace dialogue and then clicking on the "special" button.
Collapse

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Can't be done Sep 1, 2003

Hi Bruno
I don't know if it's my Word but normally word wouldn't accept the any digit sign there. Just try it out, you'll see.
Murat

Bruno Piatti wrote:

Hi Charlotte

and

I suggest to check every occurency, not to use the 'Change all'.

Ciao
Bruno

Bruno Piatti
English to Italian
For murat Sep 1, 2003

I normally use this technique with my Italian version of Word.

You'll have to type literally:
^# (caret pound)

Anyway, there should be the option to say: "any number" in Find box...

Let me know

murat Karahan
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...
Bruno.. Sep 1, 2003

I've checked it out, actually I knew it before. You can type any number (or select from the more choices) but you can't do it in the replace box. I'm occasionally converting subtitle files loaded with numbers, therefore I know that it can't be done this way. I wish it would though, would make my life much easier.

Bruno Piatti wrote:

I normally use this technique with my Italian version of Word.

You'll have to type literally:
^# (caret pound)

Anyway, there should be the option to say: "any number" in Find box...

Let me know

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:01
English to German
+ ...
I agree with Murat Sep 1, 2003

I checked it out for German Word 97 and Word XP. I get an error message saying I could not use ^# in the replace field (although it is the correct placeholder to find any numbers).
What a pity

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Solution Sep 1, 2003

I have my suggestion too, though you can't replace ^#.^# by something else you can change the style !
So, in Find you put : ^#.^#
and in replace, leave the field empty click on format and choose something that is nowhere in the text, red characters for example.
It changes only the format and keeps the numbers and dots.
Then you find and replace only the red dots in red commas (still using format) and do the reverse colour change
Find : < empty> format : red
R
... See more
I have my suggestion too, though you can't replace ^#.^# by something else you can change the style !
So, in Find you put : ^#.^#
and in replace, leave the field empty click on format and choose something that is nowhere in the text, red characters for example.
It changes only the format and keeps the numbers and dots.
Then you find and replace only the red dots in red commas (still using format) and do the reverse colour change
Find : < empty> format : red
Replace : format : automatic
could use any other format option, font, bold, whatever.
Collapse

claude
claude
Thailand
English to French
Solution Sep 1, 2003

I just posted that one but seems that I lost it.
So this is the solution.
You can change the format of generic strings without replacing them.
In find : ^#.^#
Replace : but click on format and select a format which is nowhere in your document (a specific text colour, red, for ex)
replace all
Then all the dots between numbers are red.
So
Find : "." click on format, select red text
Replace : ","
replace all
Then, restoring the text
... See more
I just posted that one but seems that I lost it.
So this is the solution.
You can change the format of generic strings without replacing them.
In find : ^#.^#
Replace : but click on format and select a format which is nowhere in your document (a specific text colour, red, for ex)
replace all
Then all the dots between numbers are red.
So
Find : "." click on format, select red text
Replace : ","
replace all
Then, restoring the text colour anywhere
Find : format : text colour : red
Replace format : text colour : automatic
You can do that with a font or whatever, so there is always a safe way to do it.
Collapse

Alexandru Pojoga
Alexandru Pojoga
Romania
Japanese to English
+ ...
Agree - can't use wildcards in Replace Sep 1, 2003

I tried it once and it didn't work. It would *find* the wildcards but wouldn't *replace* with the same wildcards.

So just do ten replaces:

.0 to ,0
.1 to ,1
.2 to ,2
.9 to ,9

It's not that bad, I actually replaced once "A" through "Z" and it only took a minute.

Bruno Piatti
English to Italian
SSSSOOOOOOORRRRRRYYYYY Sep 1, 2003

I'm sorry, I'm back from my vacancies yesterday and my mind is still in Sardinia...
I do use this notation (^#.^#), but ONLY to FIND those occurrencies; then I change them manually.

Ciao
Bruno

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Use of Any digit etc. in Replace box Sep 1, 2003

I think that the reason why you cannot put Any digit, etc., in the Replace box is because you are not being specific and Word would have to chose between 10 digits. That is, Word would not know what it should replace it with!

I find Claude's method the one that works best.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to change xx.xx to xx,xx in Word?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »