https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/137399-anti_virus_software_recommendations.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Anti-virus software recommendations
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber
Annett Hieber  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:59
English to German
+ ...
Jun 12, 2009

Hi all,

What is in your opinion the currently best anti-virus software on the market? I am just looking for a really good one which also works in real-time and is not too expensive.

Any recommendations are appreciated!

Annett

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:59
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Norton Jun 12, 2009

The best one right now is the all-new Norton. It's nothing sort of what you were used to, with previous iterations of the program. Now it installs in less than a minute and it only eats up a tiny amount of memory. It's totally inobtrusive.

I used to have ESET NOD 4, yet now I prefer Norton 2009, and I am completely satisfied with the results and its behaviour. Give it a try.

[Edited at 2009-06-12 06:29 GMT]

mulderT
mulderT
Chinese to English
Kaspersky Jun 12, 2009

i think the best is Kaspersky

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
AVG Anti Virus free Jun 12, 2009

That's what I use on my Vista laptop, together with the Vista in-built firewall. All well since the start 8 months ago.

Nice to hear that Norton is ok now. At least it did not disturb me after de-installing the 3-month license.

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Few more Jun 12, 2009

Avira and Avast are also good and free for home use.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
ESET NOD32! Jun 12, 2009

We escaped the influence of Norton after using it for over a decade. It messed up our computers, swallowed resources on end and it was cumbersome to install, update, renew, ...and uninstall when we got fed up (sorry) with it.

We got NOD32 and must say that it is light to the computer but powerful, does not steal away resources and does not mess up with things it should not. And it costs a lot less than Norton. I strongly recommend it.

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Avira is my best bet Jun 12, 2009

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Avira and Avast are also good and free for home use.

I've been using Avira AntiVir Personal since 2001 and never got any virus related troubles. I set up a daily update and a daily complete scan (fast and reliable, doesn't make your system crash even if you're working in the meanwhile), it has dialer protection and phishing protection... it is simply perfect for a free version.

Moreover, if you wanna go Premium, a 1 year license will only be 19.95 EUR (including VAT!) and includes more useful features such as WebGuard.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
viewing from different angles Jun 12, 2009

I have COMODO (AV+firewall+HIPS) and SandBoxIE (isolated space).
Indeed, if you also don't work in Admin account then your chances are even higher

Cheers

P.S. Always backup vital info! If you fail to plan th
... See more
I have COMODO (AV+firewall+HIPS) and SandBoxIE (isolated space).
Indeed, if you also don't work in Admin account then your chances are even higher

Cheers

P.S. Always backup vital info! If you fail to plan then you plan to fail.
Collapse

Eric Le Carre
Eric Le Carre  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
BitDefender + Avast Jun 12, 2009

I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on my production machine. It is moderately priced and can be installed on 2/3 PC's. I had to disable the BitDefender antispam toolbar in Firefox and Thunderbird because it was too powerful.

On my spare laptop computer that is mainly used by my family, I installed the home edition of Avast (which is free). But, getting started with it was not easy because of the "disturbing" user interface.

In the May 2009 edition of a French
... See more
I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on my production machine. It is moderately priced and can be installed on 2/3 PC's. I had to disable the BitDefender antispam toolbar in Firefox and Thunderbird because it was too powerful.

On my spare laptop computer that is mainly used by my family, I installed the home edition of Avast (which is free). But, getting started with it was not easy because of the "disturbing" user interface.

In the May 2009 edition of a French consumer magazine, there was a rating of the commercial and free Internet security and antivirus programs. The results were as follows:

- Commercial Internet Security Suites:

1: G Data InternetSecurity 2009, 2: BitDefender Internet Security 2009, 3: Kasperky Internet Security 2009, 4: Avira Antivir Premium Security Suite 2009, 5: F-Secure Internet Security 2009

- Free Antivirus Programs:

1: Alwil Avast! Home Edition, 2: Avira AntiVir Personal & 3: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition.

Good luck in finding the right solution.
Collapse

Nevenchi
Nevenchi
English to Croatian
+ ...
avast Jun 12, 2009

I have been using Avast! for more than 2 years, and I've never had a single virus since, so that is what I would recommend

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
I also use Avast! Jun 12, 2009

And it does its job really well. I also use Spybot S&D for anti-spyware. But careful browsing should also be exercised.

Recently there was a thread here extolling the virtues of a site called last.fm or something, for listening to music. When I clicked the button to listen to a piece, I was warned of a "clickjacking" attempt (whatever that is - anyone?) and was recommended not to proceed. That one came courtesy of "NoScript", which bl
... See more
And it does its job really well. I also use Spybot S&D for anti-spyware. But careful browsing should also be exercised.

Recently there was a thread here extolling the virtues of a site called last.fm or something, for listening to music. When I clicked the button to listen to a piece, I was warned of a "clickjacking" attempt (whatever that is - anyone?) and was recommended not to proceed. That one came courtesy of "NoScript", which blocks malicious scripts, available as an add-on to Firefox.

I think basically someone had hikacked the site and placed 'hidden' scripts under legitimate applications, like pressing play to listen to a song. I never went back to that site after that.
Collapse

Blanka Salkova
Blanka Salkova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2007)
English to Czech
+ ...
- Jun 12, 2009

Avast -- and am very happy with it.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
It's really revamped, I'm telling you! Jun 12, 2009

The new Norton I mentioned above is very serious about memory consumtion and efficiency; it's the opposite of what it used to be.

It only consumes 1.696 MB of RAM on my system. Isn't it great? Even Eset NOD version 4.0 consumes more than that!

It's excellent, guys. I used to hate it as much as you, but the 2009 version is a whole new story.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:59
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Remark regarding Avast Jun 12, 2009

It has a free edition for home use but after reading the licence I have impression that if a computer is used for purpose of performing work - e.g. translating for money it may be appropriate to use the paid professional version:

"FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only. Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range of more suitable products providing higher data security, startin
... See more
It has a free edition for home use but after reading the licence I have impression that if a computer is used for purpose of performing work - e.g. translating for money it may be appropriate to use the paid professional version:

"FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only. Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range of more suitable products providing higher data security, starting with avast! Professional Edition."

How do you think?

Cheers
S
Collapse

Fathy Shehatto
Fathy Shehatto  Identity Verified
Egypt
English to Arabic
+ ...
Avast! Home Edition Jun 13, 2009

I also use Avast the Home Edition. Just go to the web site, register and you will get a valid License for 12/24 months (forgot).

It is very effective, light, self-updated always gives you warning messages when you go through an infected web page.
Best

[Edited at 2009-06-13 05:49 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-virus software recommendations

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »