https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/137399-anti_virus_software_recommendations-page2.html

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Anti-virus software recommendations
Thread poster: Annett Hieber
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
OT here: Bitdefender antispam toolbar Jun 13, 2009

Eric Le Carre wrote:

I'm using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 on my production machine. It is moderately priced and can be installed on 2/3 PC's. I had to disable the BitDefender antispam toolbar in Firefox and Thunderbird because it was too powerful.

How did you disable the antispam toolbar? (I am using Outlook Express). I am very disturbed by this toolbar; in the previous versions there was the possibility to decide whether to install or not some modules, which I did. Now you have to install the whole package. I don't need any antispam as my mail provider has a very good filter and I very rarely get spam. Now I only can disable the antispam function, but did not manage to get rid of this completely useless toolbar...

This said, I have used Bitdefender Internet Security too since many years. You can use one license on 3 computers. What a relief after I got rid of Norton (I am talking about approximately 2002/2003)! There is also a free Bitdefender version only of the Antivirus.

mhj (X)
mhj (X)
Azerbaijan
Local time: 03:23
English to Turkish
+ ...
Avira Jun 17, 2009

Alessandra Martelli wrote:

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Avira and Avast are also good and free for home use.

I've been using Avira AntiVir Personal since 2001 and never got any virus related troubles. I set up a daily update and a daily complete scan (fast and reliable, doesn't make your system crash even if you're working in the meanwhile), it has dialer protection and phishing protection... it is simply perfect for a free version.

Moreover, if you wanna go Premium, a 1 year license will only be 19.95 EUR (including VAT!) and includes more useful features such as WebGuard.

After using Symantec for long time, which was licensed, I tried some free anti-virus software and Avast was the first. But after Symantec it didn't seem to be easy-to-use for me. I am using Avira now and it is functioning quite well. Recommended!

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
I use Avast too Jun 18, 2009

I have been using it for nearly seven years now and not a single infection. I am very happy about it.

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
THE best AV software does not exist! Jun 18, 2009

Hi Annett,

there are tons of AV products which have one thing in common: 100% protection is not guaranteed. Human beings are the biggest risk factor. Do you want to protect your PC or a network? An antivirus programme alone is not enough, you also need a well-configured firewall (hardware and software).

If possible, dedicate some time to these products:

avast! Professional Edition 4.8
AVG Anti-Virus 8.0
AVIRA AntiVir Premium 8.2
BitDefende
... See more
Hi Annett,

there are tons of AV products which have one thing in common: 100% protection is not guaranteed. Human beings are the biggest risk factor. Do you want to protect your PC or a network? An antivirus programme alone is not enough, you also need a well-configured firewall (hardware and software).

If possible, dedicate some time to these products:

avast! Professional Edition 4.8
AVG Anti-Virus 8.0
AVIRA AntiVir Premium 8.2
BitDefender Antivirus 2009
eScan Anti-Virus 10
ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus 3.0
F-Secure Anti-Virus 2009
G DATA AntiVirus 2009
Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009
Kingsoft Antivirus 2009
McAfee VirusScan Plus 2009
Microsoft Live OneCare 2.5
Norman Antivirus & Anti-Spyware 7.10
Sophos Anti-Virus 7.6.4
Symantec Norton Anti-Virus 2009
TrustPort Antivirus 2.8

I would like to recommend this link:
http://www.av-comparatives.org/

[Edited at 2009-06-18 08:26 GMT]
Collapse

kringle
kringle  Identity Verified
Italian to English
thanks for the link Aniello Jun 18, 2009

I use AVG the free version and get on very well with it. The scan will also run in the background while you work and doesn't slow things up that much. Updates are easy peasy - all in all good results, and most importantly no viruses get through.

Back it up with Spyware Doctor, not free but very cheap (less than 40 euros) and efficient as well. Updates and scans work well. Also offers the option of a quick scan which is good as an everyday thing and then full scan at the weekend.
... See more
I use AVG the free version and get on very well with it. The scan will also run in the background while you work and doesn't slow things up that much. Updates are easy peasy - all in all good results, and most importantly no viruses get through.

Back it up with Spyware Doctor, not free but very cheap (less than 40 euros) and efficient as well. Updates and scans work well. Also offers the option of a quick scan which is good as an everyday thing and then full scan at the weekend.

Just had to reinstall everything due to hard disc crash (had it all backed up thank goodness) and no hassle to reinstall the above two.
Collapse

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
NOD32 +1 Jun 18, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

We escaped the influence of Norton after using it for over a decade. It messed up our computers, swallowed resources on end and it was cumbersome to install, update, renew, ...and uninstall when we got fed up (sorry) with it.

We got NOD32 and must say that it is light to the computer but powerful, does not steal away resources and does not mess up with things it should not. And it costs a lot less than Norton. I strongly recommend it.

I absolutely agree!
Best,
Dimitra

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Kaspersky Jun 18, 2009

Uldis

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Are we professionals? Jun 19, 2009

Stanislaw Czech wrote:

It has a free edition for home use but after reading the licence I have impression that if a computer is used for purpose of performing work - e.g. translating for money it may be appropriate to use the paid professional version:

"FREE OF CHARGE for non-commercial & home use only. Both of these conditions should be met! If you are not a home user or if you use your computer for business purposes, we offer a wide range of more suitable products providing higher data security, starting with avast! Professional Edition."

How do you think?

Cheers
S

I'm quite surprised to read on this forum that so many people are actually using free AV licenses, which are, for most of them (Avast, AVG, etc.) for non-commercial use only.
I thought the name ProZ has something to do with "professionnal" translators ...

[Modifié le 2009-06-19 14:41 GMT]

Baofeng Guo
Baofeng Guo  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Chinese to English
+ ...
I use McAfee Jul 3, 2009

I use McAfee SecurityCenter almost one and a half year, and my machine never got infected by virus. It's powerful.

Daniel Grau
Daniel Grau  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
OS X Leopard Jul 3, 2009

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anti-virus software recommendations

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »