All pages on Proz.com generate 403 in Internet Explorer/Sleipnir, but not in FireFox/Opera
Thread poster: XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)
XX789 (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:23
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 2, 2009

I've been having this issue for months, but now it's becoming really annoying.

No matter which page I try to access from IE or Sleipnir, I get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Firefox and Opera work fine.

[Edited at 2009-06-02 19:03 GMT]

Andreas Nieckele
Andreas Nieckele  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:23
English to Portuguese
IE configuration? Jun 2, 2009

This is weird. Most likely it has something to do with IE's connection settings. If it was indeed a permission problem, it would happen on any browser. Do you use a proxy?

[fanboyism]
But if you have Firefox and Opera, why would you even launch IE?
[/fanboyism]

[Edited at 2009-06-02 19:29 GMT]

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No proxy Jun 2, 2009

No, I don't use a proxy.

IE is bloatware indeed, but I really like Sleipnir. Opera comes second: it doesn't render Japanese very well.

Firefox 3.5 has become bloatware too by the way. I've seldomly seen such a slow browser.

Christiane Lalonde
Christiane Lalonde  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:23
English to French
Google Chrome Jun 2, 2009

I suggest you try Google Chrome. It works perfectly.

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:23
English to Japanese
+ ...
Another shot... Jun 3, 2009

It may be some spyware or malicious software misbehaving, and it may have sneaked into these browsers' configuration. Have you tried to clear both cache and cookie completely? If not yet, it may be worth trying. Also, I recommend running spybot (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html ) to search and kill spyware. You will be surprised!

Rie

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Actually Jun 3, 2009

...I'm pretty sure that's not it, as Proz.com is the only site giving this error. And believe me, I've seen quite some sites. Also, this system is a fortress.

It must be a configuration problem at Proz' side, that triggers something in Internet Explorer (I see Sleipnir uses the IE engine too).

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Chrome Jun 3, 2009

I must say that I'm impressed by Google Chrome's speed. It is as fast as lightning, even faster than Opera. I absolutely hate the design though - minimalism was never for me Gimme bells and whistles!

[Edited at 2009-06-03 05:55 GMT]

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Back from the future? Jun 3, 2009

Loek van Kooten wrote:
Firefox 3.5 has become bloatware too by the way. I've seldom seen such a slow browser.

Hi Loek,
Where did you get version 3.5? My FF just updated itself to 3.0.10 and tells me that no more updates are available.
On another note, I am interested to see that the respondents to your IE issue basically say that they "can't reproduce the bug here". Where have I heard that punch line before?

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Confused Jun 3, 2009

Sorry, I meant 3.0, not 3.5.

As for that other company.... trust me, I'm slapping them like I've never slapped them before.

Matt Petrowski
Matt Petrowski
United States
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Invalid user-agent string Jun 3, 2009

Dear all,

On every connection to our web servers, the user-agent string is validated so that we can quickly and efficiently block any scripts/crawlers/etc. that are known to be malicious. Our filters, however, are not perfect, and sometimes malicious user-agents slip through, and sometimes there are false-positives. In this case it was the latter. I have removed the offending filter, so you should no longer have an
... See more
Dear all,

On every connection to our web servers, the user-agent string is validated so that we can quickly and efficiently block any scripts/crawlers/etc. that are known to be malicious. Our filters, however, are not perfect, and sometimes malicious user-agents slip through, and sometimes there are false-positives. In this case it was the latter. I have removed the offending filter, so you should no longer have any issues with 403 errors while accessing the site.

Best regards,
Matt Petrowski
ProZ.com systems administrator
Collapse

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Fantastic Jun 3, 2009

Yes, now it's working. Thanks a lot!

XX789 (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
On that note Jun 3, 2009

...I just downloaded the new beta of Opera 10, which was launched today, and I am very impressed. This is the best I've seen so far. Exit Sleipnir, welcome Opera 10.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:23
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
jump from 2009 to 2012... Sep 30, 2012

...and I am having this exact same problem in Internet Explorer. I don't actually use IE, but Multifultor uses it and therefore can't access Proz.com.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
2013-05-12 May 12, 2013

I am now on Windows 8, using Internet Explorer 10, and I cannot access any Proz sites at all.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
solved it! May 12, 2013

OK, the problem was that I recently installed Avant Browser. For some reason that changes your user agent string in IE. You can check which browser websites think you are using by going to: http://www.whatismybrowser.com/

You need to change your user agent string back to something that Proz.com's servers like, such as Firefox or Chrome.

Sweet Jesus was that a pain in the ass. I f
... See more
OK, the problem was that I recently installed Avant Browser. For some reason that changes your user agent string in IE. You can check which browser websites think you are using by going to: http://www.whatismybrowser.com/

You need to change your user agent string back to something that Proz.com's servers like, such as Firefox or Chrome.

Sweet Jesus was that a pain in the ass. I finally managed to track down the remains of Avant in my registry. I ended up deleting mention of Avant here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER - Software - Microsoft - Windows - CurrentVersion - Internet Settings - 5.0 - User Agent - Post Platform

Basically, just use RegScanner (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html) to search through your entire registry for any mention of 'Avant'. Delete it and you are good to go!

Michael

[Edited at 2013-05-12 20:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-12 20:42 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-05-12 20:43 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

All pages on Proz.com generate 403 in Internet Explorer/Sleipnir, but not in FireFox/Opera

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »