Problems with PDF Download, add-on for Firefox (and IE)
Thread poster: Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:13
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
May 30, 2009

Recently, I had troubles with this add-on (latest version). Each time I try to use it, Firefox (v. 3.0.10) crashes. I have downgraded the add-on to version 2.1, but the problem persists. Everybody else in the same situation?

Thank you in advance!

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
I assume May 31, 2009

you are trying to open an online pdf document with the browser. If so, I suggest you to right-click on the link related to the document and save it on the desktop. Viewing pdfs with the browser can be frustrating sometimes. HTH
Gianni

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:13
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dopy question May 31, 2009

Ciao Gianni,

I have variously had the same problem, both with Opera and Firefox.

So: Right click on the link...

Then save it as what???

Baffled
Chris

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Chris May 31, 2009

If the link you click on opens the pdf reader, that means that you can also right-click that link and save the pdf file wherever you want.

Example:

1) open the following page http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/
2) Search the link Adobe Supplement to ISO 32000, Base Version 1.7, Extension Level 3 (PDF, 1 MB)

By hovering with the mouse on this link, in the b
... See more
If the link you click on opens the pdf reader, that means that you can also right-click that link and save the pdf file wherever you want.

Example:

1) open the following page http://www.adobe.com/devnet/pdf/
2) Search the link Adobe Supplement to ISO 32000, Base Version 1.7, Extension Level 3 (PDF, 1 MB)

By hovering with the mouse on this link, in the bottom left of Firefox you can check that this is actually is a file with a pdf extension.

3) Right-click on the link and choose "Save destination as" (or something similar, I have Frirefox in italian, it might be different in English)
4) A "Save As" window opens up. Check the type of the file being saved is a Adobe Acrobat Document.
5) Choose the destination where you want to save the file and click Save

That's it
Hope this helps
Gianni
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I believe we are talking here about two different things May 31, 2009

I have used this add-on happily since at least two or three years and its purpose is exactly to avoid browser crashes, but also to let you choose whether you want to download a PDF or not or prefer view it as HTML, which I do most of the times. Only if it seems interesting, I open and then eventually download the PDF.

https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/636

... See more
I have used this add-on happily since at least two or three years and its purpose is exactly to avoid browser crashes, but also to let you choose whether you want to download a PDF or not or prefer view it as HTML, which I do most of the times. Only if it seems interesting, I open and then eventually download the PDF.

https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/636

Maybe there are linguistic problems here. I don't work with English and my school knowledge dates back many, many years, therefore I try to explain as well as I am able to what I want to say but perhaps not always am successful. So please be patient with me.

I was talking about what I thought a generally known (and in my eyes very cute) add-on for Firefox and lately also for IE.

[Bearbeitet am 2009-05-31 18:25 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 21:13
Spanish
+ ...
Add-ons are unreliable May 31, 2009

Hi Christel,

Firefox's add-ons are (usually) constantly updated because Firefox is constantly updated. Some of those updates can create new problems, because of the actual add-ons or because of Firefox. Also, add-ons have to be compatible with the rest of your installed add-ons, is one of the updates is not compatible, you can have a lot of problems with the browser.

So, if you have downgraded to the old and problem-free add-on, you might still have problems with the ad
... See more
Hi Christel,

Firefox's add-ons are (usually) constantly updated because Firefox is constantly updated. Some of those updates can create new problems, because of the actual add-ons or because of Firefox. Also, add-ons have to be compatible with the rest of your installed add-ons, is one of the updates is not compatible, you can have a lot of problems with the browser.

So, if you have downgraded to the old and problem-free add-on, you might still have problems with the add-on. Try uninstalling the add-on completely, restart Firefox and install the old add-on again. Restart Firefox and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can roll-back Firefox to the previous release that worked fine with that add-on. Here's a list of old versions: FF's public releases.

If that doesn't work either, you could try to uninstall and clean-install Firefox again (make sure you delete the old directory). Some add-ons cannot be uninstalled at all but a clean Firefox installation fixes all problems.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I use Pdf-Xchange Viewer instead May 31, 2009

I guess your preference is due to Acrobat Reader beeing heavy and slow. My alternative solution has been installing the above free software in place of AR - and it works very well. It also freed me of the intricacies of Adobe's policies on permissions and signatures needed to annotate or work with a PDF. I strongly suggest considering it at http://www.docu-track.com/

Ciao,
Luca

[Edit
... See more
I guess your preference is due to Acrobat Reader beeing heavy and slow. My alternative solution has been installing the above free software in place of AR - and it works very well. It also freed me of the intricacies of Adobe's policies on permissions and signatures needed to annotate or work with a PDF. I strongly suggest considering it at http://www.docu-track.com/

Ciao,
Luca

[Edited at 2009-05-31 23:10 GMT]
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Claudia! Jun 7, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:

Hi Christel,

So, if you have downgraded to the old and problem-free add-on, you might still have problems with the add-on. Try uninstalling the add-on completely, restart Firefox and install the old add-on again. Restart Firefox and see if it works. If it doesn't, you can roll-back Firefox to the previous release that worked fine with that add-on. Here's a list of old versions: FF's public releases.

If that doesn't work either, you could try to uninstall and clean-install Firefox again (make sure you delete the old directory). Some add-ons cannot be uninstalled at all but a clean Firefox installation fixes all problems.

Good luck,

Claudia

As I wrote, I had already uninstalled the add-on and installed the previous version instead. The next step would have been to go back to a previous version of FF but I didn't find the link. So with your information, I meant to roll back Firefox but have been too busy. In the meantime, I had already linked PDF Download to Foxit reader instead of Acrobat (and have made Foxit my default PDF viewer), which didn't work either, though. As Luca says, Acrobat is so heavy (although in my case, non excessively slow as I have since ever deactived all its plug-ins, but anyway...), and it is more often subject to security bugs.

But now, after some days, and without having done anything else (and the add-on still isn't updated to the newest version), it works fine again!

Why? Computer mysteries.....

Anyway, thank you all for your contributions!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with PDF Download, add-on for Firefox (and IE)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »