https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/136340-seeing_the_set_language_for_a_ms_word_document.html

Seeing the set language for a MS Word document
Thread poster: Sara Mullin
Sara Mullin
Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:37
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
May 30, 2009

Good morning everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a small problem I'm having in MS Word (2003). My 3 year old was playing around on the computer when I had a word document open and since then, I can't see to what language a document has been set.

For example, before, I could see "English (US)" on the bottom toolbar and that has now disappeared. If I go to "Tools: Set Language", I always see several options (the languages that I use most often) and none of
... See more
Good morning everyone,

I'm hoping that someone can help me with a small problem I'm having in MS Word (2003). My 3 year old was playing around on the computer when I had a word document open and since then, I can't see to what language a document has been set.

For example, before, I could see "English (US)" on the bottom toolbar and that has now disappeared. If I go to "Tools: Set Language", I always see several options (the languages that I use most often) and none of them are highlighted, so that's no help.

If anyone could tell how to please get this function back, I'd really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Sara
Collapse

Helen B (X)
Helen B (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Righ-click on the bottom toolbar May 30, 2009

I am not sure this will work with Word 2003 (I use Word 2007), but what happens if you right-click on the bottom toolbar? Does it display popup menu with options allowing you to tick 'language'?

Sara Mullin
France
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I still can't see it May 30, 2009

Hi Hélène,

When I right-click, I do get a list of all the different toolbars you can add but there's no option for language. I've actually already gone through and clicked on all the different options to see what each toolbar does, but I still can't find it. Plus, I clicked on "customize" because it brings up more toolbar options and I don't see it there either.

In any case, thank you for your response!

Sara

Helen B (X)
Helen B (X)  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Activating/deactivating the toolbar May 30, 2009

Have you tried getting rid of the bottom toolbar and activating it again?
(Pour afficher la barre d'état, cliquez dans le menu Outils sur Options, puis sur l'onglet
Affichage et, sous Afficher, activez la case à cocher Barre d'état.)

[Edited at 2009-05-31 06:16 GMT]

Sara Mullin
France
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yea! Thank you! May 30, 2009

I had tried resetting the toolbar to its original settings and that didn't work (the normal.dot settings)...

But your advice does! I activated the toolbar and now I can see the language and the page numbers again! Hooray!

Thanks again and have a great weekend!

Sara

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeing the set language for a MS Word document

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »