Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:22
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
May 14, 2009

I installed Windows Seven on my one computer and it is interesting to see which programs will or will not install on it. Have any of you tried Windows Seven and checked which CAT tools and other programs that we use, work on it?

Both OmegaT 2.0.2 and Wordfast Pro 2.0.2 work on it. I was unable to install MS Office 2000 and MS Office XP on it, but MS Office 2003 did install successfully. Interestingly, my spell-checker that was designed for Word 97 on Windows 95 runs fine on Windo
... See more
I installed Windows Seven on my one computer and it is interesting to see which programs will or will not install on it. Have any of you tried Windows Seven and checked which CAT tools and other programs that we use, work on it?

Both OmegaT 2.0.2 and Wordfast Pro 2.0.2 work on it. I was unable to install MS Office 2000 and MS Office XP on it, but MS Office 2003 did install successfully. Interestingly, my spell-checker that was designed for Word 97 on Windows 95 runs fine on Windows Seven with Word 2003. Weird. All my dictionaries have also installed without a hitch... even a 16-bit version of Logos Library. My Windows 95 task killer also works on Windows Seven.

Personally I think Windows Seven is a usability disaster although it looks slightly better than Vista. What do you think?
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:22
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nothing interesting May 15, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
Interestingly, my spell-checker that was designed for Word 97 on Windows 95 runs fine on Windows Seven with Word 2003. Weird.

Weird is that Microsoft keeps on selling outdated and only slightly refurbished products at megabucks, and its clients buy them!

Personally I think Windows Seven is a usability disaster although it looks slightly better than Vista.

Personally I think, Windows is a usability disaster. After a day in office with Windows, what a joy is booting to Linux! Home, sweet home

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Trados May 15, 2009

Hi Samuel

I am also running the release candidate of Windows 7.
The only CAT tool I use is Trados. Both the 2007 version and the 2009 release candidate install and work flawlessly.

I had some problems installing Multiterm 2009 on the 64 bit version, but that was still with the Beta version. I haven't tried with RC1.

I for one think Window 7 is going to be a success. I think people are going to like the MAC style task bar. At least I do...
See more
Hi Samuel

I am also running the release candidate of Windows 7.
The only CAT tool I use is Trados. Both the 2007 version and the 2009 release candidate install and work flawlessly.

I had some problems installing Multiterm 2009 on the 64 bit version, but that was still with the Beta version. I haven't tried with RC1.

I for one think Window 7 is going to be a success. I think people are going to like the MAC style task bar. At least I do
Collapse

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Windows XP Mode May 15, 2009

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Microsoft has added several new features to Windows Virtual PC to make it easy to use and to help you run many older Windows XP applications in Windows 7.

Geneviève

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My impressions of Windows 7 May 15, 2009

Lutz Molderings (MSc, BSc) wrote:
I for one think Window 7 is going to be a success. I think people are going to like the MAC style task bar. At least I do

I think one can only judge a new OS when you've used it for a while, and when you've been able to customise it. For example, just two minutes ago I discovered that I can set the taskbar to show the names of folders (and not just the icon, which is the default behaviour). Even on my Windows XP machine you'd be forgiven for thinking it's Windows 95, because I customise everything exactly to my liking.

However, Win7 got rid of the Quick Launch pane, which I used quite frequently. Instead, you can pin program shortcuts directly to the taskbar, but it means you can't keep the pinned icons separate from the open windows' icons... and this is more pronounced if your taskbar is more than one line thick (mine is 3).

My biggest gripe so far is with Windows Explorer, which behaves in a way that I find confusing (when opening or closing folders, for example). And the Control Panel is also quite a mess, now that they've decided to link the options in a mesh as opposed to the hierarchical organisation of options used in Win95 to WinXP, so it is more difficult to learn by discovering (but no doubt Microsoft thinks it is now easier).

The "Show Desktop" trigger at the far right of the taskbar is also nice (hover the mouse over it and you can see the Desktop "through" all your windows). Pity it doesn't work in the Windows Classic theme.

What also bugs me is that it is SLOW to display or scroll through a folder if there are lots of different icons to load. Kinda reminds me of the older Linux distros.

[Edited at 2009-05-15 15:36 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your CAT and Windows Seven

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »