Thread poster: Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 01:45
Portuguese to English
May 13, 2009

Hi,

This is 100% off topic - but has anyone with Windows Vista installed on their computer had problems playing DVDs at all?

Ever since I bought my new computer (I had XP on my old one) I've had issues when playing some DVDs - not all - just some. For example last night I rented "The Reader", but the computer refuses to recognise it. I've searched online computer/IT forums but not yet got very far!

Any suggestions on what I can do? Is it to do with the re
... See more
Hi,

This is 100% off topic - but has anyone with Windows Vista installed on their computer had problems playing DVDs at all?

Ever since I bought my new computer (I had XP on my old one) I've had issues when playing some DVDs - not all - just some. For example last night I rented "The Reader", but the computer refuses to recognise it. I've searched online computer/IT forums but not yet got very far!

Any suggestions on what I can do? Is it to do with the regions/dvd format? I'd like to add, as well, that none of them are pirated, they're all original DVDs.

Thank you in advance
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 03:45
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Which version do you have? May 13, 2009

I know that since I have the Business version, I can't play DVDs at all, and need to get/buy some codec or other for that purpose.

But my Windows Media Player plays more or less all the other video files that I open.

Doron

[Edited at 2009-05-13 15:05 GMT]

Word_Wise
Word_Wise  Identity Verified
English to Romanian
+ ...
Maybe the problem is in the Player you are using ?? May 13, 2009

On my vista I play dvd's with VLC media player. never had a problem.

[Edited at 2009-05-13 14:53 GMT]

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
The issue seems to be... May 13, 2009

..that the computer doesn't recognise certain DVDs... I've tried Power DVD, Windows Media Player, VL player... but for a lot of DVDS the computer doesn't even read the DVD/recognise there's a DVD in the drive!! The strange thing is sometimes it does read the DVDs.. I just wish I could work out which ones and why!!

I've got Windows Vista Home Preminum installed on laptop...

Dr. Andrew Frankland
Dr. Andrew Frankland  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You might not have the right codecs May 13, 2009

I seem to remember having a problem like this when I first installed Vista (Home Edition, 64-bit) so I simply downloaded some new codecs (search for "vista codec") for the Media Player and everything seemed to work OK after that.

Andy

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 13, 2009

Just checking that out now, Andy!

So far no luck.. have downloaded the vista codec but it's not made any difference

[Edited at 2009-05-13 18:18 GMT]

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not H-D DVDs by any chance? May 13, 2009

That's the only thing I can think of that would prevent them from playing: i.e. incompatible.

I also have Vista Home Premium, which plays originals and copies of originals, all on Windows Media Player. No problem. Music and video.

I also have this, although to be honest, I cannot for the life of me remember why exactly I ne
... See more
That's the only thing I can think of that would prevent them from playing: i.e. incompatible.

I also have Vista Home Premium, which plays originals and copies of originals, all on Windows Media Player. No problem. Music and video.

I also have this, although to be honest, I cannot for the life of me remember why exactly I needed to download it, but it works:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

It's a whole package of codecs, so the right one should be in there somewhere. When you play the film, you should see 2 small squares in the notification area - a blue one (for audio) and a red one (for video). I am staring at them right now, as I was watching an episode of Family Guy.

[As my employer, I entitle myself to a 20 minute break every now and then. ]
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just "normal" ones... May 14, 2009

Am trying out the site you suggested, John. Thanks very much!

Fingers crossed it'll work (have a rather nice deal at the local DVD place for renting an unlimited amount of films per month and it's rather a waste of time at the moment as most of them I can't see )

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 18:45
English to Spanish
Off-topic to the off-topic May 14, 2009

My TV set won't recognize illegal DVDs... How does it know that? There must be something inside saying "pirate, pirate!"

On the contrary, when I rent DVDs at BlockBuster for 10 dollars and next day return, then it behaves smoothly.

(Just for the records.)

Anyway, I don't watch much DVDs.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Download other application May 14, 2009

If the country code is wrong, some application will not play the dvd. But there are apps that do play all dvds. I had one such multi-region player installed in my old laptop when I had bought dvds from the US.

Regards
Heinrich

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:45
Japanese to English
Hardware problem? May 14, 2009

This is a bit of a shot in the dark, but have you considered the possibility of a hardware problem? On my work computer, ever since I got it, I've had trouble with the CD-DVD not recognizing disks. The problem seemed to get progressively more severe and it's now unusable. I guess I'll cannibalize my older PC for its drive.

JPW (X)
JPW (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Heinrich could be on to something here... May 14, 2009

...although, to be honest, if it's your local DVD store, it would be surprising indeed if they were stocking the 'wrong' region for DVDs.

Rod might also have hit on something too, but I can't understand why, Rod, you didn't bring it back if there was a fault with your computer?

As for Tadzio's comment, I think that is possible. But if the disc was simply copied from a computer, then it definitely ... See more
...although, to be honest, if it's your local DVD store, it would be surprising indeed if they were stocking the 'wrong' region for DVDs.

Rod might also have hit on something too, but I can't understand why, Rod, you didn't bring it back if there was a fault with your computer?

As for Tadzio's comment, I think that is possible. But if the disc was simply copied from a computer, then it definitely won't work in a normal DVD player. You need to re-code it using DVD Flick or one of those programs.

Another site which gives out (free) codecs is this one: http://www.codecguide.com/
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 02:45
German
+ ...
No codec issue, but... May 14, 2009

If you can play one DVD, you don't usually need to install any further codecs to play others. The codecs used on DVDs are standardized and if you have PowerDVD installed, you have all the necessary codecs already (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, AC3 and DTS. No need to install DivX, XViD, H.264 etc.)

I'm emphasizing this because there is a ton of "free codec" sites out there that only serve to spread viruses and trojans to computers worldwide. Even s
... See more
If you can play one DVD, you don't usually need to install any further codecs to play others. The codecs used on DVDs are standardized and if you have PowerDVD installed, you have all the necessary codecs already (MPEG-1, MPEG-2, AC3 and DTS. No need to install DivX, XViD, H.264 etc.)

I'm emphasizing this because there is a ton of "free codec" sites out there that only serve to spread viruses and trojans to computers worldwide. Even some (non-malicious) codecs install "helper applications" that will reduce your system performance. So don't just go and install a zillion codecs, especially not from sites you do not know and trust.

Now, there are two possible issues here that might prevent you from playing certain DVDs:
1) The disc's Regional Code (RC) - seeing that you're in Brazil, you need discs with Region Code 4. If you rent from the local store, the code should be OK although double-checking cannot hurt. There's a logo on each DVD sleeve and disc indicating the region number and when in doubt you can ask the store clerks.
2) The DVDs might contain copy protection measures to prevent them from being pirated through what is called "ripping" them using a DVD drive connected to the computer. Some manufacturers deliberately impede the abilities of DVD drives to access their discs, making those discs readable only in (most) standalone DVD players.

The wikipedia article at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_copy_protection says
Many protection schemes rely on breaking compliance with CD and DVD standards, leading to playback problems on some devices.

Aggravating, but true. You might have to use a standalone player to play back these discs, after all.

HTH,

Benjamin
Collapse

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:45
Japanese to English
Surplus to requirement really May 14, 2009

John Paul Weir wrote:

As I say, the issue crept up. For a long time I thought it was a software issue. I didn't use the hardware for much more than loading software from CDs, and that's mostly doable online now anyway. I bought the computer online too and didn't want to send it off again.

Lord, how these material factors tie down our spirits!

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
English to Croatian
+ ...
divX player is a solution May 14, 2009

I had similar problem (don't you just hate Vista) and after I downloaded divX player (it's free) I have no problem at all.

Well, I haven't tried those pirate DVD-s so...

HTH

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Playing DVDs on computer with Windows Vista

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »