Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:10
English to French
+ ...
Aug 20, 2003

Hello Mac users,

I am having problems when I send word docs. Recipients cannot open them. I save as rtf, no better. Never had the problem before and I have not changed anything recently.
Any idea ?

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Word is tricky Aug 20, 2003

Hi Aude!
Yes I got Mac OS X.2 too, and Word v.X, and I have occasionally experienced the problem you describe. I must say, office v.X is the best office suite I have seen, but Word keeps on doing strange things (I have never seen it work fine actually, even less on PCs).

I should say that my problem arises specifically when I create a word document in my mac, not when I edit already existing PC documents. Also, I get problems with people using Lotus Notes, looks like the codin
... See more
Hi Aude!
Yes I got Mac OS X.2 too, and Word v.X, and I have occasionally experienced the problem you describe. I must say, office v.X is the best office suite I have seen, but Word keeps on doing strange things (I have never seen it work fine actually, even less on PCs).

I should say that my problem arises specifically when I create a word document in my mac, not when I edit already existing PC documents. Also, I get problems with people using Lotus Notes, looks like the coding/encoding of the word document when passing through Notes corrupts it.
I have always solved this sending the doc to an alternate email address (a hotmail address works fine for me). Though, this might not be your problem - it's just an idea. It's also a good idea to work with existing word documents/templates, built on a PC. You should check that too.

But of course best option should be everybody suddenly switching to a good, stable, reliable word processor....

Rb
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:10
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
possible virus Aug 22, 2003

Thank you Ruben,

I sent my docs to my hotmail address and to my surprise they were in xl binary (I saved them either as word doc. or word rtf) and my own computer diod not know what program to use to open them...
I'm going to see my technician at 10 (Montreal time).
I read the thread about the sobig virus and discovered that I might be infected as I did get some mail with the wrong sender (Mail from proz identified as someone else). Thought nothing about it at the time.
... See more
Thank you Ruben,

I sent my docs to my hotmail address and to my surprise they were in xl binary (I saved them either as word doc. or word rtf) and my own computer diod not know what program to use to open them...
I read the thread about the sobig virus and discovered that I might be infected as I did get some mail with the wrong sender (Mail from proz identified as someone else). Thought nothing about it at the time...
I'll keep you informed.
Have a good day
Collapse

Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Local time: 23:10
French to English
+ ...
I have the same problem. Aug 26, 2003

odette Grille-Burgo wrote:

Thank you Ruben,

I read the thread about the sobig virus and discovered that I might be infected as I did get some mail with the wrong sender (Mail from proz identified as someone else). Thought nothing about it at the time...
I'll keep you informed.
Have a good day

Catherine Norton
Catherine Norton
Local time: 23:10
French to English
+ ...
I have the same problem. Aug 26, 2003

[quote]odette Grille-Burgo wrote:
I should have looked through all the subject titles before I posted my own question, but I'll give you what I have:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88150&SessionID=anonymous

This is an article that postulates on the reason for the problem and suggests a solution. Unfortunately, I could not (1) get my computer to follow the instructions, and (2) understand what I was doing wrong. Maybe you'll have better luck. If so, PLEASE let me know! Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word doc. Mac OSX.2 cannot be opened

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »