https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/134072-need_help_with_powerpoint_word_counting.html

Need help with PowerPoint word counting
Thread poster: Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:39
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 1, 2009

I completed a long PPT project last week. The client asked me to translate only the slides and not the speakers' notes.

Some of the slides have several windows, with a different word cont in each of them, which has made it even more difficult to get a total word count. Oh, I forgot to mention it: "Tools" does not offer a word count at all.

Do you know a way to get the total word count?

Many thanks in advance,

Monika

Milan Djukić
Milan Djukić  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 15:39
English to Serbian
+ ...
Word count - PPT file May 1, 2009

Open the file you worked on in PowerPoint. Choose File-Send to Microsoft Office Word. Choose appropriate option and then count the words in Word. Maybe not elegant solution, but will work.
Also, maybe you will get reply with more efficient and easier solution.
Regards,
Milan

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:39
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Export... May 1, 2009

... to RTF (TXT, DOC) and count.
OR
Open with TegEditor (Trados Workbench) and Analyze.
No other ways.

Frederic Lievre
Frederic Lievre
Ireland
Local time: 14:39
English to French
+ ...
Sadly enough May 1, 2009

The only to do that is to use a third party application like word...

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Statistics May 1, 2009

Hi Monica,

Open the document in Power Point. Properties > Statistics > Words.

Geneviève

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word 2007 May 1, 2009

Go to "View" on the toolbar. Click on the first option on the left under the toolbar: "Normal".

All the slides in the presentation will show up in miniature in a column on the lefthand side of the page under a tab called "slides".

Behind the slides tab, there's another tab called "outline". Click on that and just the text from all the slides will appear. I copied and pasted that into a Word document and got the word count like that. It took about 30 seconds or less.

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Milan May 1, 2009

Thanks for your suggestion, Milan. I tried this, but for some reasons, it would transfer the slides as pictures, and therefore, count them as 1 word. Maybe I did something wrong on the process.
However, thank you for your time and help.
Enjoy your weekend,
Monika

Milan Djukić wrote:

Open the file you worked on in PowerPoint. Choose File-Send to Microsoft Office Word. Choose appropriate option and then count the words in Word. Maybe not elegant solution, but will work.
Also, maybe you will get reply with more efficient and easier solution.
Regards,
Milan

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Sergei and Frederic May 1, 2009

He-he-he, I was hoping for a simpler solution, since the slides had lots of speakers' notes, which I was asked not to translate. Bottom line, I have to remove speakers' notes. (Usually, clients just give the word count when I get PPT files, so it has been easy so far.)
Thanks for your help and have a great weekend,
Monika

Sergei Leshchinsky wrote:

... to RTF (TXT, DOC) and count.
OR
Open with TegEditor (Trados Workbench) and Analyze.
No other ways.

Frederic Lievre wrote:

The only to do that is to use a third party application like word...

[Edited at 2009-05-01 23:13 GMT]

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, John May 1, 2009

John,
Thanks for your suggestion. It works really well for normal slides. However, I found out that if there are lots of little windows on a slide (with pictures and text written in them,) it does not count the words inside these windows. It works perfect otherwise. Thank you again for your time and suggestion.
Have a great weekend,
Monika

John Cutler wrote:

Go to "View" on the toolbar. Click on the first option on the left under the toolbar: "Normal".

All the slides in the presentation will show up in miniature in a column on the lefthand side of the page under a tab called "slides".

Behind the slides tab, there's another tab called "outline". Click on that and just the text from all the slides will appear. I copied and pasted that into a Word document and got the word count like that. It took about 30 seconds or less.

Monika Coulson
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks, Geneviève May 1, 2009

Thank you very much for your help. I ended up using this method, since it was easier for me to see and remove all the speakers' notes (I was asked not to translate them.)

As I told Sergei and Frederic in my previous posting I was really hoping for a simpler solution , since the slides had l
... See more
Thank you very much for your help. I ended up using this method, since it was easier for me to see and remove all the speakers' notes (I was asked not to translate them.)

As I told Sergei and Frederic in my previous posting I was really hoping for a simpler solution , since the slides had lots of speakers' notes, and it was a very long material. Anyway, I had to remove all speakers' notes. (Usually, clients just give me the word count when I get PPT files, so it has been easy so far.)
Thanks for your help and have a great weekend,
Monika

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

Hi Monica,

Open the document in Power Point. Properties > Statistics > Words.

Geneviève
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:39
Spanish
+ ...
TO3000 / Anycount can do it May 2, 2009

Translation Office 3000 can do it. You can download the demo and use it to count the slides. In TO3000, under Settings>Personal>Anycount, in the ppt/pps tab there is a option to select what items in a Power Point presentation you want to add to the word count--I think notes are disabled by default. You don't need to remove anything from the ppt file. Anycount has also a free trial.

Yo
... See more
Translation Office 3000 can do it. You can download the demo and use it to count the slides. In TO3000, under Settings>Personal>Anycount, in the ppt/pps tab there is a option to select what items in a Power Point presentation you want to add to the word count--I think notes are disabled by default. You don't need to remove anything from the ppt file. Anycount has also a free trial.

You can download both from here:

http://www.translation3000.com/

I forgot: In TO3000, create a project, then a job, then click on the Anycount button and select your file. If you enter your per word rate, it will calculate the total too.

[Edited at 2009-05-02 07:14 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with PowerPoint word counting

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »