Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:37
English to French
+ ...
Aug 17, 2003

even afeter I set the language to French. Grrr.
I am sure someone can help

Mac OSX word

By the way, the dictionaries are pretty bad

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:37
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My English sometimes changes to Spanish Aug 17, 2003

In my Word 2000 - which runs under Windows 98 - I have had a similar problem occasionally with the spellchecker changing to Spanish. I change the language back to English, reset English as default, but it can still happen again a few minutes later.
This hasn't happened for a week or two now, but if I solved it, I have no idea how!

[Edited at 2003-08-17 16:05]

Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:37
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
My US English sometimes changes to French, sometimes even to UK English Aug 17, 2003

Jack and I seem to have a similar problem. I run Word 2000 on Windows 98 too, and my language setting changes every once in a while, and I can't figure out why. I have set English US as my default language, and sometimes I don't have any trouble for a long stretch. Any suggestions?
Sometimes it even switches to languages that I have never used.

Daniel Garance
Daniel Garance
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
It could be the "auto-detect language" feature Aug 17, 2003

There is a small box in the status bar that shows the language Word believes your text is in.
Double-clicking in this box brings up the "Language" dialog box where you can choose the language you want or disable the autodetect feature. You can also choose Tools > Language > Language to bring up that dialog.

Hope that helps,

Daniel

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
My spell checker's favorite language: Greek :-( Aug 17, 2003

Interesting to see that this seems to be a common problem, or a least not an isolated one. My spell checker randomly defaults to Greek (and crashes Word at its earliest convenience thereafter).

[Edited at 2003-08-17 21:45]

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Setting languages in Word Aug 17, 2003

There are two levels at which languages can be set in Word. I.e. globally (Normal.dot template) and through styles.

If you receive a document with well-defined styles, the language will also have been set (probably to the source document language). When defining a style, you can set it up in such a way that it automatically updates all the instances in the document (i.e when the style has been defined for a segment), it updates your template (sometimes this will be Normal.dot), both
... See more
There are two levels at which languages can be set in Word. I.e. globally (Normal.dot template) and through styles.

If you receive a document with well-defined styles, the language will also have been set (probably to the source document language). When defining a style, you can set it up in such a way that it automatically updates all the instances in the document (i.e when the style has been defined for a segment), it updates your template (sometimes this will be Normal.dot), both these options or neither of these options.

I have a feeling that the style definition has been set to update the template in the cases previously mentioned. I might, of course, be completely wrong and it could be a glitch.
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good try Aug 17, 2003

Marijke Singer wrote:

If you receive a document with well-defined styles, the language will also have been set (probably to the source document language). When defining a style, you can set it up in such a way that it automatically updates all the instances in the document (i.e when the style has been defined for a segment), it updates your template (sometimes this will be Normal.dot), both these options or neither of these options.

I have a feeling that the style definition has been set to update the template in the cases previously mentioned. I might, of course, be completely wrong and it could be a glitch.

Thank you for trying, but I still do not understand how the problem can be solved. For example Normal.dot does not mean anything to me. You might want to start at beginner's level...
Thank you all the same.
Aude

René VINCHON (X)
René VINCHON (X)  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
- Aug 18, 2003

[Edited at 2003-08-22 15:03]

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 18, 2003

Rene Vinchon wrote:

odette Grille-Burgo wrote:

Marijke Singer wrote:

Thank you for trying, but I still do not understand how the problem can be solved. For example Normal.dot does not mean anything to me. You might want to start at beginner's level...
Thank you all the same.
Aude

Odette,

If you read closely Daniel message above, I think you can understand it.

To take a pratical example (perhaps the names will not be exactly the one used in Word, I have a french version of Word 2000, but it will sure give you the clue):
Open in Word a text in which you have the problem.
Select your whole text (Edition - Select All) (or Keyboard Control+A)
Go to Tools, Language, Language

In the dialog window, uncheck the second box (Auto-detect the language).

Your problem should be solved - for that document. If you want to solve it for all documents on your Word, you have to make that a "default". But It could cause problems for some documents. So I think it's better to do that for each document you have a problem with. And of course when you create "models" of documents.
If you don't understand write me a mail in french and I will explain in french.

HTH

I'll look for that box. I have never seen it before. Thank you for the tip. I did not select.

I did, however, try the default. Sometimes works, but not always.

[Edited at 2003-08-18 00:15]

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In the dialog window, uncheck the second box (Auto-detect the language). Aug 18, 2003

Rene Vinchon wrote:

odette Grille-Burgo wrote:

Marijke Singer wrote:

Thank you all the same.
Aude

Odette,

If you read closely Daniel message above, I think you can understand it.

To take a pratical example (perhaps the names will not be exactly the one used in Word, I have a french version of Word 2000, but it will sure give you the clue):
Open in Word a text in which you have the problem.
Select your whole text (Edition - Select All) (or Keyboard Control+A)
Go to Tools, Language, Language

In the dialog window, uncheck the second box (Auto-detect the language).

Your problem should be solved - for that document. If you want to solve it for all documents on your Word, you have to make that a "default". But It could cause problems for some documents. So I think it's better to do that for each document you have a problem with. And of course when you create "models" of documents.
If you don't understand write me a mail in french and I will explain in french.

HTH

I have no such box. Just default ,cancel or OK.

It is word on Mac OSX, but should make no difference or does it ?

[Edited at 2003-08-18 00:15]

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:37
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
off topic: quoting previous postings Aug 18, 2003

Hi Odette,
please quote only the essential part of previous messages.
I will describe here the quoting tags for your benefit and also because it may be helpful to some other participants.

- STARTING A QUOTE
A quote is identified by the word "quote" (without inverted commas and enclosed in square brackets [ ], I dont' want to write it here or it will be considered the start of a quoted )

... See more
Hi Odette,
please quote only the essential part of previous messages.
I will describe here the quoting tags for your benefit and also because it may be helpful to some other participants.

- STARTING A QUOTE
A quote is identified by the word "quote" (without inverted commas and enclosed in square brackets [ ], I dont' want to write it here or it will be considered the start of a quoted )

- CLOSING A QUOTE
At the end of the quoted text, the closing symbol is "/quote" (as before, without inverted commas but with square brackets).

A pair of quoting tags may be inserted manually to refer to different parts of one or more previous postings.

Quoting tags can also be nested (as in your example above) but this is rarely helpful to improve the legibility.

That's all.

You also may want to write your new text outside of the quoting tags.
Quoting correctly helps a lot the legibility of the threads and of your contributions.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2003-08-18 08:47]
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotes Aug 18, 2003

Thank you Gianfranco,

I was ready ta ask exactly that. How to quote only the essential line(s). I hope I understood, but I did not dare try this time. These machines make me feel really stupid at times...

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It works Aug 20, 2003

if I select the text, it woks. Thank you. Hopefully, it will remain set.

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Select all Aug 22, 2003

[quote]Gayle Wallimann wrote:

Jack and I seem to have a similar problem. I run Word 2000 on Windows 98 too, and my language setting changes every once in a while, and I can't figure out why. I have set English US as my default language, and sometimes I don't have any trouble for a long stretch. Any suggestions?
Sometimes it even switches to languages that I have never used. [/ my language setting changes every once in a whilequote] Hello Gayle, I tried Rene's suggestion, below and it worked for me (select all before setting language)
I hope it works for you.
Have a good day
O

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My dictionary reverts to English

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »