Mark Nathan
Mark Nathan  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:46
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...
Aug 15, 2003

I have a new computer that was purchased in France, and therefore has a French keyboard, and French Word installed. I am perfectly happy with this.
The question is can I install an English version of Office in addition to the French Word that is already on there and have a choice of opening or creating a new document in French or English Word (with the use of the spellchecker? Or should I have just one version of Word and select the language each time?
Any tips or other comments wou
... See more
I have a new computer that was purchased in France, and therefore has a French keyboard, and French Word installed. I am perfectly happy with this.
The question is can I install an English version of Office in addition to the French Word that is already on there and have a choice of opening or creating a new document in French or English Word (with the use of the spellchecker? Or should I have just one version of Word and select the language each time?
Any tips or other comments would be welcome.
Collapse

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:46
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Default language Aug 15, 2003

Hi!
I really don't know if you can install two Office version in your PC. But I recommend you to set a default language on your MS Word. If you are going to work into English, set English as default language:

TOOLS > LANGUAGE > DEFINE LANGUAGE > ENGLISH

(and click on the DEFAULT setting)

If you are going to work with French, change it again. It's quite easy.

Regards,

Clarisa

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Deuxième situation. Aug 15, 2003

J'ai eu un petit problème avec mon nouvel ordinateur... par mégarde, je n'ai pas precisé que je voulais Office en espagnol... paf, je l'ai en anglais, et y'a rien à faire, d'après moi. Il faudrait reformater tout le machin... donc, à chaque fois je précise dans quelle langue j'écris, mais c'est pas du tout un problème.
Bonne chance.

Jonathan G (X)
Jonathan G (X)
French to Hebrew
+ ...
you can also creat two "document templates", one in French and one in English Aug 15, 2003

Mark Nathan wrote:

you can also creat two "document templates", one in French and one in English. The default template you're probably using is called "Normal" you will find it in
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates
if you right clic it and select "Open" you can change what ever you like and the changes will affect every document you'll create using "double-clic" on the word icon (assuming ofcours you seved the changes you made). Note: when you're chaging the normal template you will see that the name of the document you're working on is "normal". if you just double clic the "normal" template instead of choosing "open", you will notice you are working on "document 1" and therefore the changes you make will not be saved for future work.
The solution to your problem is related: you can change one document's language and save it as a "word document template" on your desktop. every time you double-clic this icon, you'll have a "document 1" in the language you chose to save in the template. to save a document as a template select
FILE/ SAVE AS/
give a name and a location
in the low multiple selection box choose "word document template".
save.
good luck

Any tips or other comments would be welcome.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
I don't understand what the problem is Aug 16, 2003

OK, I'm not a techie. I have a new French-bought computer. When I installed Word (in French), I chose the languages I would need for the spell-check, so now Word automatically detects which language I am typing in - even for different paragraphs in the same document. So I never need to select a language. If I change language in the document, it takes a couple of lines of the second language before the red underlines disappear. It does not work for isolated words of another language in the t... See more
OK, I'm not a techie. I have a new French-bought computer. When I installed Word (in French), I chose the languages I would need for the spell-check, so now Word automatically detects which language I am typing in - even for different paragraphs in the same document. So I never need to select a language. If I change language in the document, it takes a couple of lines of the second language before the red underlines disappear. It does not work for isolated words of another language in the text.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Setting up a French computer for FR>EN translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »