Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:38
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 13, 2009

Hello all;
Would you please help me in finding a way to split a word document into many parts to be distributed to the team members and then merging these parts again in one document.
I hope I made myself clear.
Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Tamer

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Create new documents... Apr 13, 2009

I would create X new documents by copying/pasting the content of the initial file and then create a "master" target document.

If this question is related to the one re .TTX files, you may use Trados Glue to "glue" several .TTX documents together after their translation. But be aware that, depending on its size, this master .TTX may not be processed with the "Save target..." option of TagEditor.

Laurent K.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
watch out for terminology ... Apr 13, 2009

Would you please help me in finding a way to split a word document into many parts to be distributed to the team members and then merging these parts again in one document.

Make sure that the team gets a list/vocabulary of items, stating the preferred/agreed upon translations. In the opposite case you may eventually have one file, still split along the terminology lines. Correcting that after the fact is no fu.

Regards and wish you all the best

Vito

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Macros or software Apr 13, 2009

But what I am looking for is to find away to split these files without the need for copy and paste. So, are there any macors or software for that?

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Create new documents Apr 13, 2009

Dear ScottishWildCat
Thank you for your reply. My question does not related to the re. ttx, but actually your reply gave me a new hint about using the glue. Would you please give more details?
Regards,
Tamer

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Trados Glue Apr 13, 2009

Tamer Mekhimar wrote:

Dear ScottishWildCat
Thank you for your reply. My question does not related to the re. ttx, but actually your reply gave me a new hint about using the glue. Would you please give more details?
Regards,
Tamer

See the related thread/post (this is one among others): http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/59380-huge_project_in_trados_tag_editor.html#452726

Basically, Glue is a Trados application which will merge two or more files into a master file. The maximal number of glued files is 1000 and the allowed formats are HTML, SGML, XML and XLIFF, Workbench RTF and of course TTX.

HTH

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-04-13 17:33 GMT]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:38
English to French
+ ...
Create a master document and then subdocuments Apr 14, 2009

With every version of Word from 2000 upward, there is a feature that lets you split a document into smaller parts that can then be handled as separate documents. The reason why I recommend this rather than the other solutions above is because many documents have a structure that contains sections, subsections, bookmarks (if there is an index or table of contents, for example), etc., and the copy and paste solution can have a serious effect on these. In other words, if you simply copy part of the... See more
With every version of Word from 2000 upward, there is a feature that lets you split a document into smaller parts that can then be handled as separate documents. The reason why I recommend this rather than the other solutions above is because many documents have a structure that contains sections, subsections, bookmarks (if there is an index or table of contents, for example), etc., and the copy and paste solution can have a serious effect on these. In other words, if you simply copy part of the document, paste that into a new document and translate that, when time comes to reassemble the document, it may not look at all like it did before you split it, and the layout and formatting may be very hard to recreate. This is not a problem when you use master documents and subdocuments.

What you need to do in Word is go to View > Outline. You will get a toolbar that proposes options to save the current document as a master document and also to select parts of the document and create subdocuments with them. Once you are done defining your subdocuments, you just need to save the file, and you wil notice that there will be a bunch of Word documents added in the directory where you were storing the master document. It is these subdocuments that you will need to translate. Once they are translated and cleaned, you can open your master document again, and you will have an entire translated document with the layout and formatting intact. Just make sure you don't rename any of the subdocuments (or if you do, make sure you revert to the original name Word gave them before reopening the master document).

In any case, make a backup of the original source document before performing the above actions, and do read the relevant Help articles in Word before attempting this.

All the best!
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Selection does not consist of heading levels Apr 14, 2009

Hello ViktoriaG;
Thank you for your help. I have followed your steps, but I got a message " The Selection does not consist of heading levels".
Please help.
Regards,
Tamer

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:38
English to French
+ ...
Selecting heading levels Apr 15, 2009

When you define the subdocuments within the master document, you need to make sure that each selection has the same heading level. This means that you can select sections 1.1, 1.2. and 1.3, but you can't select sections 1.1, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. All your selections have to be of the same heading level. This is a bit of a problem since you can't really cut the document exactly where you want to and you have to use the cut-off points imposed by Word. The workaround of this would be to save longer subd... See more
When you define the subdocuments within the master document, you need to make sure that each selection has the same heading level. This means that you can select sections 1.1, 1.2. and 1.3, but you can't select sections 1.1, 1.1.1 and 1.1.2. All your selections have to be of the same heading level. This is a bit of a problem since you can't really cut the document exactly where you want to and you have to use the cut-off points imposed by Word. The workaround of this would be to save longer subdocuments as master documents and further subdivide them into subdocuments.

I am not sure if you have read the Help file, but just in case, here are a few important things you need to know. You can't select text freely for subdocuments by highlighting it as you usually would. Instead, you need to click on the + signs in the left margin - these symbols identify heading levels. In other words, the only way to create subdocuments is to select heading levels.

To help you make the process easier, the Outlining toolbar displays the heading level selected. So, when you click on a + symbol in the document in outline view to select a section as a subdocument, the toolbar tells you whether that heading is level 1, 2, 3, etc. Do not combine heading levels.

It is also possible that the first few pages of a document can't be converted into a subdocument, since the first few pages often precede the table of contents and thus don't contain heading levels. It is best to copy these few pages into another document and translate them separately, then paste them back into the final translated document once the translated subdocuments are reunited with the master document.

In case your document is poorly formatted and doesn't contain heading levels, you can define heading levels in it, which will not make a sensible difference in the way the document displays.

[Edited at 2009-04-15 02:39 GMT]
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 15, 2009

Thanks ViktoriaG for you detailed explanation. I really appreciate your help.
Regards,
Tamer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Breaking down file within a team

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »