Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Virus alert! (msblast.exe): 'Remote Procedure Call terminated unexpectedly' / TFTP
Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
Joanne Parker
Joanne Parker  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:21
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Which patch version? Aug 15, 2003

I am running MS XP Home in English - can anyone confirm which version I need: 32 or 64 bit? What's the difference?

Thanks,

Joanne

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:21
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Patch version Aug 15, 2003

Joanne Parker wrote:

I am running MS XP Home in English - can anyone confirm which version I need: 32 or 64 bit? What's the difference?

Thanks,

Joanne

Should be 32 bit, at least it is for XP Pro. I suspect 64 bits are for some kind of server version.

Uldis

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Probably 32 bit Aug 15, 2003

Joanne Parker wrote:

Thanks,

Joanne

From what I've seen on other forums, not many people have the 64 bit version yet so it's probably the 32 bit one.

User (X)
User (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
unsafe files Aug 15, 2003

go to tools/option and click on the security tab: then unclick the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened etc etc". Remember that this allows you to open all email attachments (which is quite useful sometimes...) but leaves you vulnerable to possible viruses. The only way of being safe is keeping your antivirus up to date (and I mean really up to date, like twice a day) and not to open suspicious attachments at least before scanning them for viruses - all antivirus software allows you t... See more
go to tools/option and click on the security tab: then unclick the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened etc etc". Remember that this allows you to open all email attachments (which is quite useful sometimes...) but leaves you vulnerable to possible viruses. The only way of being safe is keeping your antivirus up to date (and I mean really up to date, like twice a day) and not to open suspicious attachments at least before scanning them for viruses - all antivirus software allows you to scan a single file on demand.
btw this problem has got nothing to do with the virus.
HOpe this helps....

Daniel Jeory wrote:

OK, I've rid my computer of the virus (as far as I can tell), but now I've just found out I can't open any pdf attachments in Outlook Express.

When I double click on the message, it tells me 'OE has removed access to the following unsafe items...'.

Is it possible this is a result of the virus? Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this mystery?!

Thanks!
Collapse

Aida González del Álamo
Aida González del Álamo
Spain
Local time: 23:21
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
thanks a lot for your advice Aug 15, 2003

I was desperate, not knowing what was going wrong and with my dealine on my back...my server had no clue, and I was sure that I had messed it all up by cliccing somewhere, then I read the forum and found the solution, I finished my translation, and I am happy and online again. Thanks!!

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:21
German to English
+ ...
Removing the Blasterworm Aug 15, 2003

Per Riise wrote:

When I double click on the message, it tells me \'OE has removed access to the following unsafe items...\'.

I\'m no computer wizard, but it might be because your firewall doesn\'t \"let\" pdf-files through.

The microsoft SP1 security patch will change the security settings for Outlook to the highest possible securtiy level. That excludes pdf and zip files.

Here are instructions to remove that Blasterworm (very easy):

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/4520-6600_16-5063775.html

These instructions are as simple as it gets.
I thought that may help some of us, just in case.

Good luck everybody,

Ursula

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 15, 2003

Ilaria Meliconi wrote:

go to tools/option and click on the security tab: then unclick the "do not allow attachments to be saved or opened etc etc". Remember that this allows you to open all email attachments (which is quite useful sometimes...) but leaves you vulnerable to possible viruses. The only way of being safe is keeping your antivirus up to date (and I mean really up to date, like twice a day) and not to open suspicious attachments at least before scanning them for viruses - all antivirus software allows you to scan a single file on demand.
btw this problem has got nothing to do with the virus.
HOpe this helps....

Daniel Jeory wrote:

OK, I've rid my computer of the virus (as far as I can tell), but now I've just found out I can't open any pdf attachments in Outlook Express.

When I double click on the message, it tells me 'OE has removed access to the following unsafe items...'.

Is it possible this is a result of the virus? Does anyone have any ideas how I can solve this mystery?!

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice, Ilaria. Fortunately I stopped banging my head against a brick wall a few days ago having after reading Zhoudan's post...

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
How to make sure you have the time to download the patch before your system closes Aug 16, 2003

My server gave m the clue to this one - it's simple.

Simply put the date on your system back a week or so.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 00:21
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
FYI-Microsoft extinguishes Windowsupdate.com website Aug 16, 2003

Some new info:
"According to media reports Microsoft has confirmed that it has decided to kill off its Windowsupdate.com web address. The website was due to suffer a denial of service attack on 16 August by computers infected by the W32/Blaster-A worm.
Sean Sundwall, a spokesman for Microsoft said: "One strategy for cushioning the blow was to extinguish Windowsupdate.com. We have no plans to ever restore that to be an active site."
According to Microsoft, consumers can update
... See more
Some new info:
"According to media reports Microsoft has confirmed that it has decided to kill off its Windowsupdate.com web address. The website was due to suffer a denial of service attack on 16 August by computers infected by the W32/Blaster-A worm.
Sean Sundwall, a spokesman for Microsoft said: "One strategy for cushioning the blow was to extinguish Windowsupdate.com. We have no plans to ever restore that to be an active site."
According to Microsoft, consumers can update their computers by visting the web address http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com or the main Microsoft website page at http://www.microsoft.com where information is available on downloading patches as well as advice on setting up firewall protection."

Uldis
Collapse

Alison Webb
Alison Webb  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Thank you Aug 18, 2003

Just to say how grateful I was to the people who posted messages and links to help deal with msblast. What with that and US power cuts, it's beeen quite a week!

Chris Phillips
Chris Phillips  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
This has to do with your update Aug 20, 2003

Daniel Jeory wrote:

This has happened because you have probably just downloaded all the updates from Microsoft and when it updates OE it changes the settings. To sort this, in Outlook Express go to:

Tools>Options>Security and make sure you UNCHECK
Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus.

Close OE and reopen, (you might have to restart your computer, I can't remember now) and press send receive

Chris

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus alert! (msblast.exe): 'Remote Procedure Call terminated unexpectedly' / TFTP

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »