Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Virus alert! (msblast.exe): 'Remote Procedure Call terminated unexpectedly' / TFTP
Thread poster: Daniel Jeory
Gayle Wallimann
Gayle Wallimann  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
Member (2004)
French to English
+ ...
Does this affect Windows 98? Aug 12, 2003

Hello everyone,
I looked at the link for the patch and saw that it does not seem to concern Windows 98. Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
RPC-downrun Aug 12, 2003

Thanks again Ian,
The patch is apparently functioning. It was not possible to remove the Msblast application, but the prefetchig sequence can be removed. Till 14:00 Hrs back all my computers were running down. since I installed the patch one comp is functioning without letting me down. Thanks again. Watchout those who are still facing the trouble, the patch must be of the same language version as of the OS- i.e, If windowsXP-English version, you should take the english version of the patc
... See more
Thanks again Ian,
The patch is apparently functioning. It was not possible to remove the Msblast application, but the prefetchig sequence can be removed. Till 14:00 Hrs back all my computers were running down. since I installed the patch one comp is functioning without letting me down. Thanks again. Watchout those who are still facing the trouble, the patch must be of the same language version as of the OS- i.e, If windowsXP-English version, you should take the english version of the patch and so on so forth.
bob
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:23
SITE FOUNDER
Symantec says only Windows 2000 and Windows XP Aug 12, 2003

Gayle Wallimann wrote:

Hello everyone,
I looked at the link for the patch and saw that it does not seem to concern Windows 98. Can anyone confirm that?
Thanks!

Symantec does not list Windows 98 among the systems that can be affected. I would think you are OK.

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
I got it too yesterday evening Aug 12, 2003

and try the all afternoon to understand what was going on.

I found the same solution as Oddie, download the patch.

It is ok now, but fewwwwww...

Lien

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
yes, that and others things Aug 12, 2003

Laura Gentili wrote:

I have enabled the Firewall, installed the patch, removed the worm (thank you all!) but now my OE removes zipped files attached to my e-mail messages as "not secure".

that's why some people doesn't have a firewall.

Lien

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
uncheck "not saving or opening unsafe file" in OE Aug 12, 2003

Laura Gentili wrote:

I have enabled the Firewall, installed the patch, removed the worm (thank you all!) but now my OE removes zipped files attached to my e-mail messages as "not secure".

From your OE menu, select "tool">options>security, and then uncheck the statement about refusing to open or save unsafe files. I do not know the exact wording in your version, because mine is a Chinese version.
Then you will be able to save .zip files or .pdf files, or whatever.

Romina Minucci
Romina Minucci
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
help!! Aug 13, 2003

erano due o tre giorni che tutto il pc sembrava sballato e stamani il norton mi ha avvisato del virus finora discusso. tramite il tool a cui mi ha indirizzato ho "debellato" il virus, ma non riesco ancora a far funzionare bene il computer (ex: non mi fa scaricare la posta per + di una volta, non apro link, non posso fare copia/incolla, non disattivo internet dal desktop se non spengo direttamente il computer....).

seguendo le vostre indicazioni sto cercando di istallare il patch ma
... See more
erano due o tre giorni che tutto il pc sembrava sballato e stamani il norton mi ha avvisato del virus finora discusso. tramite il tool a cui mi ha indirizzato ho "debellato" il virus, ma non riesco ancora a far funzionare bene il computer (ex: non mi fa scaricare la posta per + di una volta, non apro link, non posso fare copia/incolla, non disattivo internet dal desktop se non spengo direttamente il computer....).

seguendo le vostre indicazioni sto cercando di istallare il patch ma ogni volta mi dice che per istallarlo correttamente devo aver istallato il "service pack 2"

non me ne intendo per niente, sto solo cercando di cavarne le gambe!!

ps: a volte mi appare anche una finestra con scritto "svchost ha provocato un errore e verrà chiuso, riavviare il programma"

io credo di avere ancora il virus in circolo.

OPS!! i'VE WRITTEN IN ITALIAN!!! I'M SORRY BUT AT THE MOMENT I'M REALLY WORRIED!!
Collapse

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Local time: 19:23
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
how to get rid of it Aug 13, 2003

Romina 74 wrote:

seguendo le vostre indicazioni sto cercando di istallare il patch ma ogni volta mi dice che per istallarlo correttamente devo aver istallato il "service pack 2"

non me ne intendo per niente, sto solo cercando di cavarne le gambe!!

ps: a volte mi appare anche una finestra con scritto "svchost ha provocato un errore e verrà chiuso, riavviare il programma"

io credo di avere ancora il virus in circolo.

OPS!! i'VE WRITTEN IN ITALIAN!!! I'M SORRY BUT AT THE MOMENT I'M REALLY WORRIED!!

Romina, I think I got the gist of your message, but it's a while since I studied italiano!

There's a few steps you have to do in the right order to get rid of this thing:

1st, enable the Internet Connection Firewall: start> control panel > network and internet connections > right click on the icon of your dial-up software, go to properties, select the advanced tab and enable the firewall.

THEN go get the patch from the microsoft page (links above). The virus stops you doing this, which is why you have to enable the firewall.

THEN use the FixBlast tool from the symantec website (links above).

THEN you should be OK!

I think that's everything.

Good luck!

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
And read the following articles if you'e like to learn even more Aug 13, 2003

Henry wrote:

More info on the Blaster virus:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.html

Note to all Windows users: whether you have gotten this virus or not, it is very important that you run a Microsoft program to patch the vulnerability this virus exploits. It is likely that future viruses will exploit this vulnerability, which does not involve email attachments.

The patch installation program is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp[/quote]

TOP LOVSAN-A ARTICLES

Peruse these exclusive articles and more on SearchSecurity.com:

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/featuredTopic/0,290042,sid14_gci917276,00.html

AS LOVSAN SPREADS, PATCHING ACCELERATES
Patching the RPC-DCOM vulnerability has become a priority for many enterprises as Lovsan-A makes the rounds.

http://www.searchSecurity.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci918890,00.html

EXPERTS: PATCH WINDOWS NOW, WHILE YOU CAN
The network worm that targets the RPC vulnerability in Windows is also going after Microsoft's patch download page. That means users need to download the patch now or else risk paying Lovsan-A's price.

http://www.searchsecurity.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci918755,00.html

RPC WORM FINALLY STRIKES
A worm has emerged that takes advantage of the Windows RPC vulnerability.

http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci918727,00.html

PATCHING RPC FLAW A BREEZE COMPARED TO SQL PATCH
A Windows patch repairing a critical flaw in Remote Procedure Call installs easily, experts said. This is in stark contrast to the complicated fix issued by Microsoft for the SQL Server hole that unleashed the Slammer worm in January.

http://www.searchSecurity.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci917520,00.html

CERT WARNS RPC BEING EXPLOITED IN WILD
Attackers are increasing their scans of the Internet for Windows systems vulnerable to an exploit of a flaw in Remote Procedure Call and have begun exploiting the worm in the wild. CERT said attackers are injecting exploit code on some systems to gain system-level access. Experts warn a worm may not be far behind.

http://www.searchSecurity.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid14_gci917452,00.html

Colin Brayton
Colin Brayton  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:23
Arabic to English
+ ...
MS Security Patch Aug 13, 2003

I resolved this problem by installing the Microsoft security patch for the RPC method (which has been known about for over a month: why didn't my antivirus software or my regular Windows updates fix it automatically? Hmmph.)

The patch for Windows NT, 2000, and XP can be found at this Microsoft page (the download is, of course, at the bottom of the page).

Edward L. Crosby III
Edward L. Crosby III  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:23
German to English
+ ...
More info. Aug 14, 2003

According to the Microsoft security alert, the msblast worm ONLY affects systems running Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP.

For the technically inclined, the details on how the worm is structured works and how it works -- as well as a step-by-step removal procedure, can be found at the following F-PROT Web site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, then click on the "msblast" links (A, B and C) under "Current threats" -- there are now 3 apparently variants of the worm.
... See more
According to the Microsoft security alert, the msblast worm ONLY affects systems running Windows 2000, Windows NT and Windows XP.

For the technically inclined, the details on how the worm is structured works and how it works -- as well as a step-by-step removal procedure, can be found at the following F-PROT Web site. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, then click on the "msblast" links (A, B and C) under "Current threats" -- there are now 3 apparently variants of the worm.

http://www.f-prot.com/virusinfo/descriptions/bugbear_b.html
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Gotta be quick off the mark though! Aug 14, 2003

By the time I connect up to download the patch and then get rid of the thing, my machine disconnects. Have downloaded it onto my "old" Windows 98 machine and will copy it onto my laptop XP machine.

What a pain these things are !

Nikki

Nancy Arrowsmith
Nancy Arrowsmith
Local time: 12:23
German to English
+ ...
Downloads Aug 14, 2003

Keep downloading those Microsoft files - I think there have been four new ones since yesterday. They are supposedly addressing some of the secondary effects of the virus.

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:23
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it safe to keep downloading MS updates? Aug 15, 2003

Nancy Arrowsmith wrote:

Keep downloading those Microsoft files - I think there have been four new ones since yesterday. They are supposedly addressing some of the secondary effects of the virus.

Any inputs would be appreciated.

Astrid C
Astrid C  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 21:23
English to Romanian
+ ...
Simple Virus Removal Aug 15, 2003

I had this virus yesterday on my computer, and I removed it by following the instructions in the forum at: http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5062532.html
Just scroll down until you see the messages in the forum and pick the topic "HERE ARE STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS!" message by "joe mama" it also works if you don't have antivirus software installed!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Virus alert! (msblast.exe): 'Remote Procedure Call terminated unexpectedly' / TFTP

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »