Off topic: Mobile internet card options - suggestions needed
Thread poster: andrealuthe
andrealuthe
andrealuthe
Austria
Local time: 00:39
German to English
Apr 8, 2009

I'm headed to Italy to work on and off for a few months and i'm currently registered in Austria. I won't be registering in Italy as I'm freelance and staying with friends.

To work I obviously need internet connection so was thinking it might be best to buy a mobile internet card thingy that slots into my laptop so I can work virtually anywhere. It needs to be contract free.

Now i'm not made of money (I'm a translator !!) so it needs to be reasonably priced.

... See more
I'm headed to Italy to work on and off for a few months and i'm currently registered in Austria. I won't be registering in Italy as I'm freelance and staying with friends.

To work I obviously need internet connection so was thinking it might be best to buy a mobile internet card thingy that slots into my laptop so I can work virtually anywhere. It needs to be contract free.

Now i'm not made of money (I'm a translator !!) so it needs to be reasonably priced.

I found this Italian mobile phone provider website, I already have a pay as you go sim card for my phone with them

Could someone have a look at this site http://www.tim.it/consumer/o65726/tariff.do and tell me what my options are please, I have no Italian whatsoever

Good job I'm headed to the area of Südtirol where they all speak German eh))

Thanks folks

Andrea

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-08 18:03 GMT]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-04-08 18:06 GMT]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
issues to ponder Apr 8, 2009

andrealuthe wrote:

My experience in this regard: several issues to ponder
a) mail access: this - at least for me - is criticality one. It goes both ways, i.e. getting the mail and delivering it. It can be quite a problem, trying to deliver a megabyte or two via a link, that is slow.

b) general read-only internet access.

While you can do b) in any of the internet caffees, it takes more, when it comes to a). I would ask around for a dependable wlan spot close to your friends' place and - if necessary - pay for the right to use it, especially so, if it uses passwords (WPA or similar). Then you have both the needed bandwith, as well as the assurance, your mail or communication will not get compromised.

regards

Vito

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
TIM datacard Apr 8, 2009

Hi Andrea,

While I usually work from home with a broadband connection, I also have a TIM datacard that I activate when I am on the move in Italy.

The other day, I purchased a month's internet access via Maxxi Alice Facile Recharge:

http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do

for €20, which works for me.

As Vito says, a lot depend
... See more
Hi Andrea,

While I usually work from home with a broadband connection, I also have a TIM datacard that I activate when I am on the move in Italy.

The other day, I purchased a month's internet access via Maxxi Alice Facile Recharge:

http://www.tim.it/consumer/o671/tariffa.do

for €20, which works for me.

As Vito says, a lot depends on whether or not you can get a signal. Most of the time, I use the service from a pretty remote village 800 metres above sea level in Carnia. If people in the part of Alto Adige you are going to can get a mobile phone signal from TIM, you should be OK.

Have a great time in Italy!

Giles
Collapse

andrealuthe
andrealuthe
Austria
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
TIM data card, what do I ask for etc ? Apr 8, 2009

Hi Giles,

Now that's just what I was looking for In Merano I can get a TIM signal everywhere so that sounds ideal.

Questions :

There is a TIM shop in Merano, if go in there what exactly do I tell them I need ?

Also your €20, what does that buy you exactly, in times of time, download limit or whatever. I've never used one of these gadgets so I'm clueless here.

Can
... See more
Hi Giles,

Now that's just what I was looking for In Merano I can get a TIM signal everywhere so that sounds ideal.

Questions :

There is a TIM shop in Merano, if go in there what exactly do I tell them I need ?

Also your €20, what does that buy you exactly, in times of time, download limit or whatever. I've never used one of these gadgets so I'm clueless here.

Can I buy one without contract like pay as you go ?

Thanks for your help

Andrea
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mobile internet card options - suggestions needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »