Evi Wollinger
Evi Wollinger  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:31
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 27, 2003

I will be travelling to Germany in August. I need to work on my laptop while I am there. I am staying with my sister, who has an ISDN (64kb)connection.
I purchased a phone adapter as well as an electrical plug adapter for my sony laptop.
Does anybody know how ISDN works, does it just plug into the modem or will I need another sort of card or adapter? I am confused and nobody here is able to provide too much help. Thanks!

Geir Vikan
Geir Vikan  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2003)
German to Norwegian
+ ...
You need a special ISDN modem card Jul 27, 2003

Your phone modem will not work on german ISDN
- a good combination card for laptops:
http://www.eicon.com/worldwide/products/ISDN/dimobile.htm

This card will work in most countries in the world

Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
German to Croatian
+ ...
ISDN modem for 64.0 Kbps Jul 27, 2003

Speaking from personal experience, you need an ISDN modem to connect it to the ISDN terminal in order to be able to use 64.0 Kbps transfer rate.

However, an ISDN terminal usually has a couple of ports where analogous devices can be pluged in. The transfer rate in that case is the standard 56.0 Kbps.

I have one computer connected via ISDN modem and the other via standard dial-up modem to the one and the same ISDN terminal.

[Edited at 2003-07-28 10:24]

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:31
English to German
+ ...
You will also need a voltage adapter Jul 27, 2003

In Germany the voltage is 220 V 50 Hz.
An adapter (Transformator) can be bought in special electronic shops.

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have a voltage adapter and I think there must be a modem, would I still need a card? Jul 28, 2003

Harry_B wrote:

In Germany the voltage is 220 V 50 Hz.
An adapter (Transformator) can be bought in special electronic shops.

[Edited at 2003-07-28 02:06]

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have a transformer Jul 28, 2003

[Edited at 2003-07-28 02:05]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No modem to access ISDN Jul 28, 2003

Hi Evi,
ISDN works differently in that you cannot use an analogue modem to access this digital service. An ISDN card emulates a modem, but from a technical perspective, your OS treats it as a network adaptor.

One of the most widely-used adaptors in Germany is the "Fritz!" card by AVM - installation under Win2k or XP shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

HTH - Ralf

[Edited
... See more
Hi Evi,
ISDN works differently in that you cannot use an analogue modem to access this digital service. An ISDN card emulates a modem, but from a technical perspective, your OS treats it as a network adaptor.

One of the most widely-used adaptors in Germany is the "Fritz!" card by AVM - installation under Win2k or XP shouldn't be any problem whatsoever.

HTH - Ralf

[Edited at 2003-07-28 05:06]
Collapse

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:31
Italian to English
+ ...
Standard modem Jul 28, 2003

If you have a standard modem (v.90 or similar) either built into your laptop or as a PC card (the built in option is most likely if your laptop is no more than a couple of years old), then providing your relatives have an analogue output for their ISDN line (and as a previous posting suggested, this is a strong possibility) then yoiu will have 56k dial up access using your laptop as it is. You will have to have a dial up account with a German provider (this was discussed in a previous forum topi... See more
If you have a standard modem (v.90 or similar) either built into your laptop or as a PC card (the built in option is most likely if your laptop is no more than a couple of years old), then providing your relatives have an analogue output for their ISDN line (and as a previous posting suggested, this is a strong possibility) then yoiu will have 56k dial up access using your laptop as it is. You will have to have a dial up account with a German provider (this was discussed in a previous forum topic of yours).
I think it may be best to wait until you go to Germany to resolve the internet connection side of the argument. For a couple of reasons:-
1. Your existing setup may be sufficient to get you 56k dial up access (as discussed above).
2. You can ourchase an ISDN PC card in Germany which will come bundled with all the correct connectors, software etc. I don't think they're more expensive in Germany thanin other countries, and in any case if point 1 works, you won't need it. I had a quick look on an Italian IT retail site and such a moden in Italy costs Euro 120, I think you'll find a cheaper one in Germany.

HTH

Sandy
Collapse

Evi Wollinger
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 28, 2003

Thanks for all the information and advice. I think I will wait until I get there and see what kind of gadgets they have.
In either case I am sure going to miss my DSL!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

connecting laptop to ISDN

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »