https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/128978-more_than_70_confirmation_of_receipt_emails_received_what_could_be_the_cause.html

More than 70 'confirmation of receipt' emails received - what could be the cause?
Thread poster: Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn
Channa Montijn  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 09:08
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mar 2, 2009

Dear all

I sent a query to a client and asked for confirmation of receipt (via outlook express).
Since that time I received over 70 'Read' confirmations (they are all the same... same time read etc) and about 20 messages with the same answer of the client.
I tried to reach the client to tell what is going on, but no luck so far (no reply to that new email).
What could be the cause of this problem?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-02 15:3
... See more
Dear all

I sent a query to a client and asked for confirmation of receipt (via outlook express).
Since that time I received over 70 'Read' confirmations (they are all the same... same time read etc) and about 20 messages with the same answer of the client.
I tried to reach the client to tell what is going on, but no luck so far (no reply to that new email).
What could be the cause of this problem?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-02 15:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-03-02 18:06 GMT]
Collapse

Ivana Zuppa-Baksa
Ivana Zuppa-Baksa
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe you have a virus Mar 2, 2009

Maybe you have a virus in your computer. The similar thing happened to me as I have forgotten my password for Linkedin. I received some 30 mails with same text.
After that I found out I had a virus in my computer.
Having cleaned it the problem was resolved.

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just from this client Mar 2, 2009

Thanks for your reply , but the confirmation emails are all from the same sender, emails send to and from other addresses (with confirmation) cause no problem at all...
Which is a bit odd... if I have virus on my pc, it should effect all emails, should not it?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hardly your fault Mar 2, 2009

Its the server of the client. Or maybe the cat sleeps on the keyboard.
If you cannot reach them by mail it proves something is wrong on their end.

Regards
Heinrich

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:08
Spanish
+ ...
It's normal Mar 2, 2009

Some servers do that, I don't know the reason. Probably when the messages are deleted or moved to a different folder, the 'receipt confirmation' is triggered for each email, even though they're not new. So all the confirmations are sent out at the same time.

Channa Montijn
Netherlands
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No confirmation emails anymore Mar 2, 2009

The constant flow of confirmation emails has stopped since an hour ago, however I still have not received a reply to my email stating the amount of confirmation emails received.
I think Heinrich is right: this is a problem caused by the server of the client (I am not so sure about the cat)
Thank you all for your input!

[Edited at 2009-03-02 18:07 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More than 70 'confirmation of receipt' emails received - what could be the cause?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »