Counting target lines for Indesign (INX)?
Thread poster: Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann
Noe Tessmann  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:14
English to German
+ ...
Feb 25, 2009

Dear colleagues,

for not having to extract the text content from the PDF file I suggested that I can work directly on Indesign files. All the client has to do is to export an INX file which I can use in TagEditor. Everything seems to work fine, but now I want to count the target lines and I don't know how. Counting only source words would be a huge discount compared to my target line based rate.

I don't have Indesign on my machine. Is there a way to count characters of
... See more
Dear colleagues,

for not having to extract the text content from the PDF file I suggested that I can work directly on Indesign files. All the client has to do is to export an INX file which I can use in TagEditor. Everything seems to work fine, but now I want to count the target lines and I don't know how. Counting only source words would be a huge discount compared to my target line based rate.

I don't have Indesign on my machine. Is there a way to count characters of an INX file?

TIA

Noe

[Edited at 2009-02-25 12:00 GMT]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
this might work.. Feb 25, 2009

Hi! when you clean the .ttx files you should be getting target output of .ttx files, which can be remounted in InDesign. Now here is a tool I knew that used to convert the clean .ttx into pd and into word, when the counting in trados if I am not wrong. But it is a long way. BR Brandis

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
German to English
+ ...
Source line calculation from a Trados analysis Feb 25, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:
Everything seems to work fine, but now I want to count the target lines and I don't know how. Counting only source words would be a huge discount compared to my target line based rate.
... Is there a way to count characters of an INX file?

Very simple. Do a Trados Workbench analysis of the file. Then take the Trados character count, which does not include spaces, and add the word count. This will give the total number of keystrokes. Then divide by whatever keystroke count you use; I presume it's 55 like most of us.

Here's an example on one of my files:
Code:

Analyse Total (1 file):

Match Types Segments Words Percent Placeables
Context TM 0 0 0 0
Repetitions 0 0 0 0
100% 0 0 0 0
95% - 99% 1 1 0 0
85% - 94% 1 1 0 0
75% - 84% 0 0 0 0
50% - 74% 0 0 0 0
No Match 33 222 100 0
Total 35 224 100 0

Chars/Word 7.02
Chars Total 1,573

The counts in MS Word are 220 words, 1573 characters without spaces and 1767 characters with spaces. The calculated keystroke count from the Trados file is 1573 + 224 = 1797 - close enough. Someone tried to explain to me once that the Word keystroke count is even a bit low, but I didn't follow the argument.

If you want target lines, then of course you will do this analysis using Workbench on your cleaned INX file.

[Edited at 2009-02-25 20:15 GMT]

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Char the chars Feb 25, 2009

Thanks Kevin,

I always forget that Trados also counts the total keystrokes. One line is 60 characters for me (Belgium). Strange that the two word counts are not exactly the same. Trados doesn't count the numbers (also not in the total chars?) so it's better to count with Word when you have tables in your text.

Regards

Noe

Noe Tessmann
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 25, 2009

Brandis wrote:

Hi! when you clean the .ttx files you should be getting target output of .ttx files, which can be remounted in InDesign. Now here is a tool I knew that used to convert the clean .ttx into pd and into word, when the counting in trados if I am not wrong. But it is a long way. BR Brandis

Thanks Brandis for your hint. I think I'll the Kevin's method.

Regards

Noe

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:14
German to English
+ ...
Maybe with MemoQ Free too Feb 25, 2009

Noe Tessmann wrote:
One line is 60 characters for me (Belgium). Strange that the two word counts are not exactly the same.

60 characters is the Belgian standard? Interesting. I've seen that with a German publisher too.

For an INX file you don't have access to the characters for the numbers as part of the segments anyway, though if you edited these in TE outside the segments you should charge anyway.

Another possibility occurred to me. You could import the INX file into the free version of MemoQ and do the count there. The import function will include the numbers I think. In fact, when I was running some tests with it last night, I even saw an option for including text outside the segments in a TTX file, though I didn't try it out.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting target lines for Indesign (INX)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »