What's an EPS file?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:28
German to English
Jul 23, 2003

Someone sent me an EPS file containing the ATA (American Translators Association) logo. I'm thinking about adding it to my profile page but don't know how to open it or paste it into the profile page. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kim

Christopher Schmidt
Christopher Schmidt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:28
German to English
+ ...
eps = encapsulated postscript Jul 23, 2003

It's an encapsulated PostScript file - I'm no expert, but I believe it's for vector graphics (at least that's one use for the format). You can open it with graphics programs such as Illustrator and Freehand as well as import it into PageMaker (and probably Frame).

cs

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
a very useful format Jul 23, 2003

You can simply copy and paste it into Word97 or XP and save that Word file in HTML format. This will produce a .gif file suitable for upload and display in the web.

To paste it into your profile page you need some webspace to upload it via ftp and store it. Then you can insert a link to that URL into your profile.

[Edited at 2003-07-23 15:34]

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
But the problem is Jul 23, 2003

the file was sent to me as several versions of the logo in a Zip.file, which I unzipped. When I click on one of the files I get a file conversion box with gibberish. I guess I would need a graphics program to open it, as sevenhertz suggests.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
I don't think you need a graphics program Jul 23, 2003

Kim Metzger wrote:
...When I click on one of the files I get a file conversion box with gibberish. I guess I would need a graphics program to open it, as sevenhertz suggests.
In my description I did not use any graphics program. Just try it (and don't doubleclick, just copy an extracted file with ctrl+c and paste with ctrl+v).

Anyway it is possible that some of my graphics programs covertly installed a Word plug-in. In this case you can download and install a free trial version of (for example) PaintShopPro and it should do.

In case you didn't doubleclick it would help if you could copy the "gibberish" and tell us.

[Edited at 2003-07-23 15:58]

Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Rocío Boada del Sol (X)
Local time: 09:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
One possible solution Jul 23, 2003

If you delete the extension of the unzipped file, when you open it, you will be asked to choose the appropriate program to open it, then you choose Word.
I hope this helps!

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:28
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
%!PS-Adobe-3.0 Jul 23, 2003

Harry_B wrote:
In case you didn't doubleclick it would help if you could copy the "gibberish" and tell us.
[Edited at 2003-07-23 15:58]

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 : that's how EPS files are supposed to begin

EPS files come in a variety of 'dialects'. If the EPS was generated on a Mac, some PC programs may have trouble opening the image. Other programs may have problems if the EPS file is saved without preview (i.e. no bitmap). The best way to handle an EPS file is to use a program like Illustrator or Freehand, assuming the logo is line art.

Just for the record, EPS is short for encapsulated postscript. It can contain vector data, bitmap data and fonts, even combined.

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks everyone Jul 23, 2003

Harry just sent me the magic formula and voila! it works.

Best wishes to all, Kim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What's an EPS file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »