Internet set up for second hand computer: security software prevents access to search
Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:13
English to French
+ ...
Jan 16, 2009

Hi everybody,

I am hoping someone will have the solution here, or will give me an internet site address where I might find it.

I bought a second hand computer but some set-up prevents me from going on the internet. I get a message error with some countdown.
I can access google and mail, but some security software or set-up prevents access to search. I have deleted all I could (like parental security, etc.) but I don't know where to look to solve this problem.
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am hoping someone will have the solution here, or will give me an internet site address where I might find it.

I bought a second hand computer but some set-up prevents me from going on the internet. I get a message error with some countdown.
I can access google and mail, but some security software or set-up prevents access to search. I have deleted all I could (like parental security, etc.) but I don't know where to look to solve this problem.

Any help will be welcome, if only an idea as to where I might find technical help for this problem.
This is noty an illegal scheme. I bought the computer from a big company which changes often its equipment and had it (supposedly) reset by a technician who obviously did not complete the task.

(This is under windows XP)

Thanks
Ode

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-01-19 13:53 GMT]
Collapse

Li Rui
Li Rui  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 23:13
Member (2008)
Chinese to English
+ ...
reinstall the system Jan 16, 2009

It is better you check the updates on the manufacture of the notebook download some drivers & updates according to your model.
The last way is reinstall your system, but you also need the drivers.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
English to Hungarian
+ ...
a guess Jan 16, 2009

It could be some really bad antivirus/firewall software or setup.
Swithch off whatever firewall and antivirus it has and see if that helps. Once you have done the test switch them back on immediately and start looking up settings.
You could replace whatever antivirus it has with Avast. It's free and highly praised by experts.

Edit: I don't think it's a driver issue. Some internet services (email) are working so the hardware is fine. It's probably just some software or se
... See more
Swithch off whatever firewall and antivirus it has and see if that helps. Once you have done the test switch them back on immediately and start looking up settings.
You could replace whatever antivirus it has with Avast. It's free and highly praised by experts.

Edit: I don't think it's a driver issue. Some internet services (email) are working so the hardware is fine. It's probably just some software or setup issue blocking other services.

[Edited at 2009-01-16 17:47 GMT]
Collapse

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:13
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Av scan Jan 16, 2009

Sounds to me that second hand comp is virus-infested. You should scan it with an up to date antivirus/antimalware software.
Of course, you can always wipe everything and do a clean install, but it will need time and proper drivers as well.

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
strange Jan 16, 2009

Hi Ode,

How come you can access google but cant use your search? Or perhaps by search you mean something different here?

Have I missed something? Please detail the error you get.

Andrei

RieM
RieM  Identity Verified
United States
English to Japanese
+ ...
just a hunch Jan 16, 2009

Hi Odette,

I suspect that the browser is configured to prevent you from going to where you would like to go on the internet, OR, to point to a Proxy server. Both are a common practice within a coporate environment. (I used to work for MIS).

The easiest way to find out is to install a new browser to see if you can get through. If not, then, I'm wrong.

To check for the Proxy setting, (for IE), go to Internet Options > Connection > Lan Settings. If you see a c
... See more
Hi Odette,

I suspect that the browser is configured to prevent you from going to where you would like to go on the internet, OR, to point to a Proxy server. Both are a common practice within a coporate environment. (I used to work for MIS).

The easiest way to find out is to install a new browser to see if you can get through. If not, then, I'm wrong.

To check for the Proxy setting, (for IE), go to Internet Options > Connection > Lan Settings. If you see a checkmark under the " Proxy Server", uncheck it and check the Auto detection.

Also it is a good idea to poke around the Security and Contents Tabs and reset to the default.

Good Luck
Rie!
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Access Jan 16, 2009

Andrei Yefimov wrote:

Hi Ode,

How come you can access google but cant use your search? Or perhaps by search you mean something different here?

Have I missed something? Please detail the error you get.

Andrei

Hi Andrei,

Imagine that, hey !
Yes I was puzzled the same way you are when I reached google but none of the sites I tried to reach through google search. I get two different error messages 691, but that is for user ID and password which I have. They are just not recognized by the tower and I suspect this is because it used to be a corporate computer and some security settings are still active.
But I have searched and unchecked all I could.
For example, under tools, the option to work outside connection keeps checking itself back on, even when I uncheck it.
Thank you for your message. I believe calling HP assistance will be the best option.
Have a good day
Ode

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Drivers and updates Jan 16, 2009

Bigponddream wrote:

It is better you check the updates on the manufacture of the notebook download some drivers & updates according to your model.
The last way is reinstall your system,Thanks but you also need the drivers.

Thank you. I have thought of that, but I cannot even manage to initialize.
But boy am I learning a lot !

ThaNKS for your help
Ode

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reset Jan 16, 2009

Rie Matsuda wrote:

Hi Odette,

To check for the Proxy setting, (for IE), go to Internet Options > Connection > Lan Settings. If you see a checkmark under the " Proxy Server", uncheck it and check the Auto detection.

Also it is a good idea to poke around the Security and Contents Tabs and reset to the default.

Good Luck
Rie!

Hi Rie,

Thank you for your help. I went through the steps you suggest, but many of the poking around and unchecking I did is canceled by some set up that I have yet to discover.
I believe the advice to contact the company directly remains my best option.

It was nice of you to tAKE the time to answer and I'll retry a few of your suggestions before I call HP.

Have a good day
Ode

Andrei Yefimov
Andrei Yefimov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 18:13
English to Russian
+ ...
for starters, some suggestions Jan 16, 2009

1. Maybe try to use a newly-installed web-browser like Opera. From what you say I assume you are using IE so it can be associated with the set-ups you are concerned about. Not sure but installing a new browser may remedy the problem.

2. Check how many accounts you have for your OS. Perhaps you need to log in as Admin.

3. You may have deleted all security set-ups but still have some registry entries corresponding to these set-ups. You need to delete them too.

... See more
1. Maybe try to use a newly-installed web-browser like Opera. From what you say I assume you are using IE so it can be associated with the set-ups you are concerned about. Not sure but installing a new browser may remedy the problem.

2. Check how many accounts you have for your OS. Perhaps you need to log in as Admin.

3. You may have deleted all security set-ups but still have some registry entries corresponding to these set-ups. You need to delete them too.

4. Ensure you have deleted all Internet access management software and its corresponding registry entries.

5. Check that all Internet settings match those of your Internet Service Provider. (you should check your IP, Subnet mask, Gateway, DNS server). You can do this by going to My computer>Control Panel>Network Connections>TCP/IP properties

Yet you best bet is to contact the company you have bought this PC from.

Hope it will not take you long and you will resolve your problem.

Best,

Andrei

[Edited at 2009-01-16 22:42 GMT]
Collapse

Odette Grille (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Security Jan 19, 2009

FarkasAndras wrote:

Swithch off whatever firewall and antivirus it has and see if that helps. .

[Edited at 2009-01-16 17:47 GMT]

Hello again Andras,

I tried what you suggest but got a security message blocking my access to the net and telling me I should let security set the parameters for me.
The message also mentioned I had the choice to go on to the net with security offset as I had by clicking on start button, but that did not work.

However, I am not sorry I tried as I discover I thought about many possibilities that you and others suggest (so I don't feel so stupid) and I certainly learned a lot about the entrails of a computer !

Thanks again
Have a trouble free New Year !
Ode

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Internet set up for second hand computer: security software prevents access to search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »