Thread poster: aivars
aivars
aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 8, 2003

I'm looking for a fast way to count the words in 117 Word files. I may do this brute force,i.e. opening every single file and using the Word count feature in Word, but it will be too tiring. Do you know whether Trados has a feature that allows counting many files at a time? The one I found, "Analyze" in Workbench somehow counts fewer words than the wordcount feature in Word. (I don't understand why this is happening). Thanks for your comments.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:21
German to English
+ ...
Using Outlook! Jul 8, 2003

If you use Outlook, you can go to 'other shortcuts' then go to the directory where all your files are. Then right click on the column headings and select 'Field chooser'. Select 'All file fields', then select Words and drag it to the top of the column. The number of words for each file is then displayed.

Not sure I explained this very well, but hopefully you can see what I mean!

What this method doesn't do is output the results or add them up, but you can't have everyth
... See more
If you use Outlook, you can go to 'other shortcuts' then go to the directory where all your files are. Then right click on the column headings and select 'Field chooser'. Select 'All file fields', then select Words and drag it to the top of the column. The number of words for each file is then displayed.

What this method doesn't do is output the results or add them up, but you can't have everything!

The alternative is to go for PractiCount, which would also do the job very well.
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
statistics Jul 8, 2003

Hi,

If you need Word wordcount you need to do it with Word... Practicount and Word don't give the same results.

You can do as Mary suggests or else right click on each document, click on properties and then Statistics. The number of words, lines etc. appears there.

HTH

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 23:21
German to English
+ ...
Word counts wrong Jul 8, 2003

Hello,

Word often counts wrong numer of words, because hidden chars an text frames, .. are count incorroct. All version of word counts different numbers of words.

Hans

Pablo Villadangos
Pablo Villadangos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the tip!! Jul 8, 2003

Thank you very much, Mary for this useful hint. I didn't know it, but it saves you a lot of time!! Great, i'll keep at hand it for the future.

As for the word count differences, Trados only counts the words it considers "translatable", and for example, numbers are not. So, usually, the Trados word count is a bit lower than Word's count. If you accepts Trados as an instrument, you have to take this into account to calculate your fees.

Kind regards

Mary Richards wrote:

What this method doesn't do is output the results or add them up, but you can't have everything!

The alternative is to go for PractiCount, which would also do the job very well.

aivars
aivars  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mary your tip rocks! Jul 8, 2003

Thanks Mary for your excellent option.

As for Word, my versions is supposed to count just words, and not untranslatables.

Now think of this scenario:
You charge your customer by his Trados count (lower + the discounts for repetitions and such). You pay your translators by their Word count (higher + without deducting repetitions, some don't even have Trados) You get paid in 4 months, but you pay your translators by the month...Only a bank can make it.

David Daduč
David Daduč
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+Tools Jul 8, 2003

aivars wrote:

I'm looking for a fast way to count the words in 117 Word files. I may do this brute force,i.e. opening every single file and using the Word count feature in Word

There is a freeware tool from Yves Champollion, the developer of Wordfast. It's called +Tools (see www.champollion.net)

You can do many things with +Tools but one of them is exactly this brute force word count - it will open one document after another and display a report at the end (individual results and the total).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordcount differences between Word and Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »