how to convert a PDF file into a MS Word file
Thread poster: Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz
Maria Diaz
United States
Local time: 18:18
English to Spanish
Jul 7, 2003

My client may sometimes provide a pdf file (newsletters, brochures, etc) for translation, but needs the translation delivered in a Word file (in a two-column format, with both languages). How can I convert a pdf file to Word? Do I need special software? I've just started as a freelancer and don't have any programs yet.

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
how did he create the PDF? Jul 7, 2003

If the PDF was created by an application, let's say Word or Excel, simply Select All, Copy and Paste. If the PDF was created using a scanner for the text, you can't.

Gustavo Alonso
Gustavo Alonso
Uruguay
Local time: 22:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can you ask for the original file from which the PDF was created? Jul 8, 2003

Somebody has created the PDF file with some word processing or design tool, prior to conversion into PDF. So if your client has access to that original file it will be much better.
Otherwise, like they said, it depends on whether the text is locked or not. However it often happens that copying and pasting text and pictures from the PDF will not result in the same format in Word or other software.
Alternatively you can have some OCR software to scan the file as images and convert it
... See more
Somebody has created the PDF file with some word processing or design tool, prior to conversion into PDF. So if your client has access to that original file it will be much better.
Otherwise, like they said, it depends on whether the text is locked or not. However it often happens that copying and pasting text and pictures from the PDF will not result in the same format in Word or other software.
Alternatively you can have some OCR software to scan the file as images and convert it to Word, depending on the quality of the PDF and how complex the design is, you can get a very good (or bad) Word file you can work on.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
It takes magic ;-) Jul 8, 2003

Converting pdf files is time-consuming, and worse, nerve-wracking. So, I think it'd be fair to charge higher for such works. In fact, I remember a colleague in a forum posting on another site mentioned that whenever she told the client beforehand about such extra charges, the original word file of the document appeared as if out of magic. She insisted that in most cases the word file was available, but the clients didn't bother etc...

Joeri Van Liefferinge
Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Save as rtf Jul 8, 2003

Try saving the document as an rtf file (in Acrobat Reader). You will need to do some editing afterwards, though (replace hard returns with spaces).
If possible, ask your client to send you the original file used to create the pdf.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how to convert a PDF file into a MS Word file

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »