Thread poster: Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
Dec 14, 2008

I work under windows XP on an HP computer.

I set it up to English, but sometimes share it with a guest who cannot read English. I cannot seem to find an answer in HP help to set up one side (guest) in French and the other (Admin.) in English.

Thank you for your help
Ode

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-12-14 22:41 GMT]

Miroslav Jeftic
Miroslav Jeftic  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:17
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Not possible Dec 14, 2008

If your question is about the Windows interface language, then such thing is impossible (regardless of the account type). To change the language of Windows, you would need a new Windows installation in the different language.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
MUI Dec 14, 2008

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

If your question is about the Windows interface language, then such thing is impossible (regardless of the account type). To change the language of Windows, you would need a new Windows installation in the different language.

Not exactly.
If you have XP Professional English (and only Professional English), you can install the Multiuser Interface pack (MUI).
The problem is the MUI packs can't be purchased normally of the shelf, they're are available only in licence programs like MOLP (MS Open Licence program) or as OEM if purchased explicitely as MUI (as almost nobody knows the principle, almost nobody asks for it).
As every English XP Pro OEM gives you the right to install the MUI packs, you should only ask the CD set when purchased, otherwise it's extremely hard to get.

PS.
If you have Vista Ultimate, the additional language packs may be downloaded and installed on every language version (e.g, I use my VU Polish as English or French).

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-12-14 19:01 GMT]

Miroslav Jeftic
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Well, Dec 14, 2008

I doubt that she would want to enroll into an OLP. Either solution would mean investing additional money, but if that is not a problem then it would be possible of course.
Windows Vista Ultimate would be the best option I think, but again, somewhat pricey.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
OEM Dec 14, 2008

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

I doubt that she would want to enroll into an OLP.

Me too
Although sometimes it's interesting, even for a freelancer.
5 (diffferent) licences is enough to enter it and you can dowgrade every licence.
Priceless I you must install an older version of some software.

Either solution would mean investing additional money, but if that is not a problem then it would be possible of course.

Probably the best scenario is to buy another Win XP PRo EN OEM MUI (still available although it's getting more difficult) and use the CD set provided.
As I said, she's entitled to install MUI on XP Pro OEM.
And she'll have another Win XP Pro licence
See the comment below

Windows Vista Ultimate would be the best option I think, but again, somewhat pricey.

In fact, Vista is an option only if your Lady Domina likes to impose this torture.

Cheers
GG

Odette Grille (X)
Odette Grille (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
MUI and investment Dec 14, 2008

Grzegorz, Miroslav,

Thank you for this quick answer.

Apart from Lady Domina, I understand the principle.

As far as investment is concerned, This is all tax deductible it seems to me.
I'll have to check prices, but that's another story.

Have a pleasant very end of weekend

Ode

Miroslav Jeftic
Member (2009)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Hm. Dec 15, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

In fact, Vista is an option only if your Lady Domina likes to impose this torture.

I'm using Vista for nearly a year now, and didn't have any problem. I don't see a reason why should somebody prefer the XP, unless either the hardware or software is old/exotic.

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Vista crap... Dec 24, 2008

Miroslav Jeftic wrote:

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

I'm using Vista for nearly a year now, and didn't have any problem.

I have both, Vista and XP.
My Vista notebook is theorically approx. 2 times faster and has 2 times more RAM than my preferred XP workstation... and it's often slower...
The Vista network performance and stability are just a joke (I store all my files over
a network).
It's a well known annoyance "supposed to have been fixed in SP1".
Etc.

I don't see a reason why should somebody prefer the XP, unless either the hardware or software is old/exotic.

In most corporations XP is still shipped by default with incredible brand new machines although the software is very standard...
E.g., I work as consultant for Autodesk, you must ask explicitely to get Vista.

Sometimes I work as admin and/or IT consultant for translation offices.
I think approx. 70% of issues are due to Vista and/or Office 2007.
XP is just mature and well tested.
Vista and Office 2007 are still an experiment.
E.g. the Trados-W2007 combo poor performance is still a pain in the arse.
The newest Multiterm is incompatible with the standard Vista setup.
Etc.

PS.
Today, I meet a friend who works in a big translation office, she said they use often virtual XP on Vista 'cause Vista is unusable for a lot of tasks.
It's not the first time I receive this kind of lolnews

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Guest and Administrator sharing computer in different languages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »