Thread poster: Sergiy Cherednichenko
Sergiy Cherednichenko
Sergiy Cherednichenko
Ukraine
Local time: 13:19
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

Recently I used my flash-disk ("USB-stick") at my former job and after that I've faced problems opening it. When I insert the into the USB slot the Autorun doesn't start. When I try to open it through "My computer > Disk F" a window appears on the screen advising that the "Disk F is not formatted. Fomat it? Yes/No?"

The system administrator told me that there's a virus infecting flash-disks with a file which hinders setting up the interface between the disk and the PC. The disk is r
... See more
Recently I used my flash-disk ("USB-stick") at my former job and after that I've faced problems opening it. When I insert the into the USB slot the Autorun doesn't start. When I try to open it through "My computer > Disk F" a window appears on the screen advising that the "Disk F is not formatted. Fomat it? Yes/No?"

The system administrator told me that there's a virus infecting flash-disks with a file which hinders setting up the interface between the disk and the PC. The disk is recognized as a hardware but the data on it cannot be read. There may be some recovery software but for now the only way to treat the disk is reformatting it.

Maybe someone has already faced the same problem and has successfully resolved it in a way less radical than formatting? Thanks a lot for any help!
Collapse

Giuseppe C.
Giuseppe C.  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:19
English to Italian
Try this application first Dec 3, 2008

Sergiy Cherednichenko wrote:

The system administrator told me that there's a virus infecting flash-disks with a file which hinders setting up the interface between the disk and the PC. The disk is recognized as a hardware but the data on it cannot be read. There may be some recovery software but for now the only way to treat the disk is reformatting it.

Maybe someone has already faced the same problem and has successfully resolved it in a way less radical than formatting? Thanks a lot for any help!

Hello Sergiy,

I would suggest to try and see the situation using this simple and easy to use freeware application that should override all formatting issues and let you look into the removable drive raw contents, although I have never used it on USB flash drives :

Disk Investigator

http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

Use the "Directories" view mode.

If you can see its contents and the problem is only due to a virus or something like that or a formatting issue, you should be able to recover all recoverable files, the ones in black color (See Help on the software). After recovering all recoverable contents, you may format your flash drive and see whether the problem has been solved or not. Otherwise there may be another problem in your OS (maybe a virus as well) or in your removable falsh drive hardware.

Hope it helps,

Giuseppe

[Edited at 2008-12-03 07:10 GMT]

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 17:19
English to Indonesian
+ ...
on other computer Dec 3, 2008

have you tried it on other computer? if you can open it on other computer, then the problem is not your ufd.

flash disk recovery Feb 1, 2010

Hello! If it`s a full format the flash disc recovery http://www.panterasoft.com/file-recovery/flash-disk-recovery.html program below should recover them.

Sergiy Cherednichenko
Sergiy Cherednichenko
Ukraine
Local time: 13:19
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Better later than never ))) Nov 10, 2010

It's somewhat late to say thanks but... yeah, better later than never. Thanks for all your help advising me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Flash-disk recovery tools

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »