Using Mac with VirtualPC - is it worth it?
Thread poster: Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Jun 27, 2003

Hi, I've noticed recently that the Mac community in Proz may be small but we don't give up to Windows! Well, not yet.
That's why I wanted to ask - I am in the need of a new computer. My 4 year old iMac is starting to lag behind when I use VirtualPC, and use of Trados with Virtual PC is just out of the question!
I don't want to buy a PC laptop just because I need to use a couple of CAT tools that might very well work within Virtual PC. But I'm not sure the new Macs are really fast eno
... See more
Hi, I've noticed recently that the Mac community in Proz may be small but we don't give up to Windows! Well, not yet.
That's why I wanted to ask - I am in the need of a new computer. My 4 year old iMac is starting to lag behind when I use VirtualPC, and use of Trados with Virtual PC is just out of the question!
I don't want to buy a PC laptop just because I need to use a couple of CAT tools that might very well work within Virtual PC. But I'm not sure the new Macs are really fast enough to be compared with a PC in this matter.

Anybody has any experience about this? Mac users with brand new G4 processors: do you work with Virtual PC, and the most important, does it work for you?

Thank you, and long live the Mac!!

Ruben
Collapse

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
German to English
+ ...
Virtual PC Jun 27, 2003

Can you be more precise about the applications you would be running on Virtual PC? Is Trados essential, for example? If Wordfast is an acceptable alternative, you can run that natively.

You might also ask the Lantra Mac User's Group on Yahoo! for advice:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LantraMUG

Marc (Long Live Linux...
See more
Can you be more precise about the applications you would be running on Virtual PC? Is Trados essential, for example? If Wordfast is an acceptable alternative, you can run that natively.

Marc (Long Live Linux)
Collapse

kbamert
kbamert  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:00
French to German
+ ...
Powerbook G3 (1998) with virtual PC is extremely slow Jun 27, 2003

Hello

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

My 4 year old iMac is starting to lag behind when I use VirtualPC, and use of Trados with Virtual PC is just out of the question!

Anybody has any experience about this? Mac users with brand new G4 processors: do you work with Virtual PC, and the most important, does it work for you?

Ruben

G4 I have no experience...

Regards,

Kurt

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I have some difficulties with VPC Jun 27, 2003

I could not manage to get my USB printer and CD-Rom writer to work on the IBook (MacOs9) next room.

So, as I do not have a floppy, I do not have any output for work made with virtual PC. Hence it is useless. Any suggestions?

Luca

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, I meant Trados. Jun 29, 2003

Thank you, Marc. Yes, I meant specifically Trados, that's what my client requests from me. I have not tried Wordfast, though.

Regards,
Ruben

MarcPrior wrote:

Marc (Long Live Linux)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Mac with VirtualPC - is it worth it?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »