Klaus Lauble
Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:18
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Jun 21, 2003

Since recently, Word prompts to insert the setup CD every time I start the program. (I use Windows XP.) A message displays saying that I am trying to use a feature that is available from CD. On clicking Cancel in the message box, the program seems to start and work normally, but it's still very annoying. I tried to change the setup options so that all features are either installed on hard disk or not available at all (avoiding the option to install when needed) - all to no avail. Any help would ... See more
Since recently, Word prompts to insert the setup CD every time I start the program. (I use Windows XP.) A message displays saying that I am trying to use a feature that is available from CD. On clicking Cancel in the message box, the program seems to start and work normally, but it's still very annoying. I tried to change the setup options so that all features are either installed on hard disk or not available at all (avoiding the option to install when needed) - all to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Klaus
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 06:18
English to Spanish
I had the same problem... Jun 22, 2003

and tried as you very sensibly did to make a full installation from the CD. It didn´t work tough, so one day tired of it I just copied the entire CD to my computer. Once it asked again for the CD, I pointed to the folder where it was copied and it automatically remembered later. So, after "auto-performing" two or three of such installations on startup, it never asked again for the CD.

I wish I could offer a sensible explanation, but... alas, that is not to be expected of MS. All in
... See more
and tried as you very sensibly did to make a full installation from the CD. It didn´t work tough, so one day tired of it I just copied the entire CD to my computer. Once it asked again for the CD, I pointed to the folder where it was copied and it automatically remembered later. So, after "auto-performing" two or three of such installations on startup, it never asked again for the CD.

I wish I could offer a sensible explanation, but... alas, that is not to be expected of MS. All in all, copying the CD solved my problem. Perhaps it works for you...

Good luck!.
Collapse

Yuliyana Radoulova
Yuliyana Radoulova
Italian to Bulgarian
+ ...
You don't need to copy the whole CD Jun 22, 2003

Hi,

I had the same experience. It's just enough to insert the CD when the message shows.

At least worked for me.

Regards,
Yuliyana

SimplyMe (X)
SimplyMe (X)
English to German
Just follow the on-screen instructions. Jun 22, 2003

... und das Ding nervt nicht mehr.

bartek
bartek  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Formating helps Jun 22, 2003

I had the same problem and it became a bygone nightmare only after formating a system drive.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Possibly you choose "Stard from CD" during the installation Jun 22, 2003

Insert the CD before starting Word.
If the setup programm does not start automatically, go to Start - Run and select the Setup programm from the Word CD. Choose "Modify installation".
Follow the instructions on the screen and then select "Start all from desktop".
Your nightmare should belong to the past.

I have only the German Word (Office), so the above names may vary in English, but they should at least be similar.

Kind regards
Jerzy

bartek
bartek  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
It didn't work Jun 22, 2003

in my case. I HAD to format the system drive.
T.

Your nightmare should belong to the past.
Kind regards
Jerzy[/quote]

Klaus Lauble
Klaus Lauble  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanx a lot for all your tips Jun 22, 2003

As a matter of fact, a combination of your input solved the problems. First, I copied the CD to the hard disk (muchísimas gracias, Rossana), finally uninstalled Word97, re-installed Office 2000 and re-installed Trados, and the issue seems to be solved. Great job, thanks everybody!

So long,
Klaus

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 asking for the setup CD at every program start

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »