Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:05
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
That would be fantastic! Feb 5, 2009

Burrell wrote:

I think there should be a way to film what is happening on screen so when it starts misbehaving again I can get some proof that it is not happening in my head.

My problem, too, is the proof, indeed!:-(

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Wanted to keep you posted Mar 5, 2009

I have requested and got a new keyboard. Everything is like before: I cannot use the laptop unless I connect an external keybord and mouse.

Now within a few days, Dell will change the motherboard. No proof needed so far.:-)

I hope this will solve everything and will get back here and report.

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:05
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved my problem Mar 26, 2009

Bought a new laptop, so solution is not for everybody as it might be a bit costly. Gave the old [new] one to my husband as the one I gave him before (I had it for 3,5 years) died in front of our eyes (after my kids dropped it but we did not inform my husband of that so he still has no idea, bless him!). This time I took a laptop off display to make sure it works. Cursor and touchpad are just brilliant. Now I can send the other one for repairs and when it comes back my husband can have it and len... See more
Bought a new laptop, so solution is not for everybody as it might be a bit costly. Gave the old [new] one to my husband as the one I gave him before (I had it for 3,5 years) died in front of our eyes (after my kids dropped it but we did not inform my husband of that so he still has no idea, bless him!). This time I took a laptop off display to make sure it works. Cursor and touchpad are just brilliant. Now I can send the other one for repairs and when it comes back my husband can have it and lend it to me should anything happen to my brand new one.

So after all this I have learned a valuable lesson - test the touchpad vigorously right after buying the laptop so that you can take it back straight away otherwise you have to send it for repairs and that's when the problems start.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I didn't solve yet Mar 26, 2009

Burrell wrote:

Bought a new laptop, so solution is not for everybody as it might be a bit costly. Gave the old [new] one to my husband as the one I gave him before (I had it for 3,5 years) died in front of our eyes (after my kids dropped it but we did not inform my husband of that so he still has no idea, bless him!). This time I took a laptop off display to make sure it works. Cursor and touchpad are just brilliant. Now I can send the other one for repairs and when it comes back my husband can have it and lend it to me should anything happen to my brand new one.

So after all this I have learned a valuable lesson - test the touchpad vigorously right after buying the laptop so that you can take it back straight away otherwise you have to send it for repairs and that's when the problems start.

If I'm not mistaken, giving one's laptop to one's husband (or whoever) does not really solve the problem as it will persist like before. You still have to get it repaired. Anyway, good for you!

Here, after the replacement of the motherboard, the cursor still keeps jumping around. Dell, getting back to me after some days, informed me that they had changed everything that was possible; the touchpad in my model is integrated into the motherboard, so there is nothing else to be replaced after the keyboard and the motherboard itself. They adviced me to set up the operating system at this point. As I have downgraded from Vista Ultimate (which the laptop came with) to XP Pro, they think that this downgrade might have caused the problem for some unknown reason. I have never written anything while there was still Vista on the laptop, as anyway I didn't have any programmes installed to work with (nor did I intend to), so I'm not able to tell whether this issue already existed before. Sooner or later I must go through this, I don't have any other choice (well, unless I use an external keyboard + mouse, but this is out of discussion) .

If this does not work, as I don't have anyone to give my laptop to, I'll have to give it back straightaway at this point.

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I somehow doubt it would be operating system Mar 27, 2009

I had Vista on my faulty laptop from the beginning. Also, I took already one laptop back with the same fault athough it was much more pronounced so I did not notice the same problem with the second laptop straight away and could nto just take it back.

The problem in your case is that you have to spend quite a lot of time changing the operating systems. Migration from XP to Vista is quite painful, I lost a lot of software because of this - my Acrobat was not compatible, Fine Reader
... See more
I had Vista on my faulty laptop from the beginning. Also, I took already one laptop back with the same fault athough it was much more pronounced so I did not notice the same problem with the second laptop straight away and could nto just take it back.

The problem in your case is that you have to spend quite a lot of time changing the operating systems. Migration from XP to Vista is quite painful, I lost a lot of software because of this - my Acrobat was not compatible, Fine Reader was not compatible and quite a lot of other programs. All in all it took me 3 weeks to completely migrate from XP to Vista. But then again, with this new laptop it only took me 2 days since it was from Vista to Vista.

As I did not have another acceptable computer to tie me over while the laptop goes away for repairs getting another laptop did solve the problem. Once my husband is willing to part with it I will send it away and if they cannot repair it they will just have to replace it. I am quite a nasty piece of work when it comes to consumer rights.

Do let us know how your story ends though.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Thank you for your advice, Burrell! Mar 27, 2009

Well, I don't intend to migrate to Vista, at least not for this reason and not now. I bought Vista Ultimate at purpose (it costs more than Vista Home Edition but gives you the right to downgrade to XP).

In fact, nobody told me that it might dipend on the operating system, but perhaps on the installation itself, maybe something went wrong, who knows...

I have set up my computers a sufficient number of times throughout the years to know what expects me and would have pre
... See more
Well, I don't intend to migrate to Vista, at least not for this reason and not now. I bought Vista Ultimate at purpose (it costs more than Vista Home Edition but gives you the right to downgrade to XP).

In fact, nobody told me that it might dipend on the operating system, but perhaps on the installation itself, maybe something went wrong, who knows...

I have set up my computers a sufficient number of times throughout the years to know what expects me and would have preferred to avoid this effort. I think it will take some time indeed until I'll make up my mind...
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:05
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
The solution Mar 27, 2009

Hi,

Sorry that I'm butting in late in this discussion. I had the same problem briefly (I say briefly because I found the solution).
It has to do with the sensitivity setting of the touch pad. I had to gradually lower the sensitivity until I no longer noted the problem and then I left it at that level, which is a year ago now, and I've not seen it again.
A colleague of mine also mentioned the same problem in despair, and lowering the sensitivity cured it.
Just go to
... See more
Hi,

Sorry that I'm butting in late in this discussion. I had the same problem briefly (I say briefly because I found the solution).
It has to do with the sensitivity setting of the touch pad. I had to gradually lower the sensitivity until I no longer noted the problem and then I left it at that level, which is a year ago now, and I've not seen it again.
A colleague of mine also mentioned the same problem in despair, and lowering the sensitivity cured it.
Just go to the Control Panel, open the mouse control and change the settings on the tab for your touch pad.

Setting the sensitivity at the minimum value and using an external mouse is another idea, though it doesn't work well in a train station or on a bed. I have an external mouse, but sometimes it is good to switch to the touch pad so the mouse arm can rest (some graphical programs require a lot of clicking...) I use the left hand for the touch pad and the right hand for the mouse, but that might be just me.

Ulf
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tried that, did not work Mar 27, 2009

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

Just go to the Control Panel, open the mouse control and change the settings on the tab for your touch pad.

I have played around with touch pad settings and when I finally managed to get the cursed cursor to behave as it should the touchpad almost stopped working. I had to literally bang on it to open applications, links or put the cursor somewhere in the text. As it already opens applications or links only if you place it at a certain hight above the button or text, it was driving me mad, I did not even know I have learned so many swear words which I expertly directed at my poor unsuspecting laptop.

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
It would be marvellous if this were the solution! Mar 28, 2009

Thank you for your contribution, Ulf!

I had played around formerly with different settings and went back now to the so called *mouse settings* (I found nothing specific for the sensitivity of the touchpad nor for the touchpad itself). Under "cursor options" there is "Select cursor speed" (everything in Italian, sorry) which seems to me the only thing that could be somehow related to the touchpad sensitivity, but I'm aware it isn't. Reducing the speed slows only down the reaction of
... See more
Thank you for your contribution, Ulf!

I had played around formerly with different settings and went back now to the so called *mouse settings* (I found nothing specific for the sensitivity of the touchpad nor for the touchpad itself). Under "cursor options" there is "Select cursor speed" (everything in Italian, sorry) which seems to me the only thing that could be somehow related to the touchpad sensitivity, but I'm aware it isn't. Reducing the speed slows only down the reaction of the cursor, which is rather annyoing, indeed, but that's all. I have even the impression that the cursor behaves still worse than before, but I'm surely getting paranoiac at this point.

I am ready to try anything if I only can avoid to set up the computer!

So where can I (try to) set the sensitivity of the touchpad please?
Collapse

Ines Burrell
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
There is a separate application for touchpad Mar 28, 2009

And unfortunately there is a lot of them around so I have no idea what yours can be called. My last two laptops had them in extendable right hand side bottom bar (the one with the clock). I right clicked on the icon and changed around the properties. Not really a very detailed advice but see, if you can find a touchpad programme. Or call the company that produces the laptops and enquire where you can find it, they should know.

What you need to adjust is the sensitivity of the touch
... See more
And unfortunately there is a lot of them around so I have no idea what yours can be called. My last two laptops had them in extendable right hand side bottom bar (the one with the clock). I right clicked on the icon and changed around the properties. Not really a very detailed advice but see, if you can find a touchpad programme. Or call the company that produces the laptops and enquire where you can find it, they should know.

What you need to adjust is the sensitivity of the touchpad. It did not work for me but that is because my touchpad already has all the sensitivity of a blunt axe. It might help you but watch out for side effects.
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 00:05
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Missing tab for Touchpad in Mouse settings Mar 29, 2009

Hi, Christel,

If you don't see a separate tab for touch pad settings when you double-click on Mouse in the Control Panel, I would think that you probably don't have a separate driver installed for the touchpad, or that it is inactivated.
Try to download the latest touch pad driver for your model from your manufacturer, and see what happens if you install it.

Not having a separate driver installed doesn't mean that the touch pad is dead. It will work, but only with
... See more
Hi, Christel,

If you don't see a separate tab for touch pad settings when you double-click on Mouse in the Control Panel, I would think that you probably don't have a separate driver installed for the touchpad, or that it is inactivated.
Try to download the latest touch pad driver for your model from your manufacturer, and see what happens if you install it.

Not having a separate driver installed doesn't mean that the touch pad is dead. It will work, but only with the default settings as no settings can be changed, and scrolling from the sides will be inactivated.

Ulf
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
So here is my good news, finally! Apr 2, 2009

Ulf Samuelsson wrote:

Hi, Christel,

Not having a separate driver installed doesn't mean that the touch pad is dead. It will work, but only with the default settings as no settings can be changed, and scrolling from the sides will be inactivated.

Ulf

Katalin had raised the driver *update* problem earlier, much earlier (indeed, 6 months ago) in this thread. Merely out of consciousness I then had an update check, but like I thought, there was nothing to be updated, the laptop at that time being only a few weeks old, and I had of course the latest driver versions.

It just didn't cross my mind to check whether at all there was a touchpad driver or not.

As I said, the laptop came with Vista and I didn't manage to install XP myself, because I wasn't able to incorporate properly the SATA driver into the installation. I had prepared everything though, downloaded the necessary drivers and burnt them on a CD and so on but couldn't go ahead. I then had done this job by someone who does this every day.

Now, thanks to your going inside the problem, Ulf, I checked and noticed that actually I didn't have a touchpad driver at all! As soon as I have installed it (the very same day of your message), the cursor stopped suddenly to jump around.... WOW! I didn't even change any settings!!! Maybe it will need some minor settings later on, but for the time being I am happy like it is. It just behaves like a cursor is supposed to behave. I still can't believe it

What seems unbelievable to me is that the customer support never has investigated this. They knew perfectly that I had installed XP instead of Vista, though.

So even if you came late to the discussion, I would say "better late than never" as your tip has spared me the painful and time-consuming reformating and made really my week (or month, or whatever)! Thank you so much!!! I hope it can be of help for other people that stumble on this thread later on and wish everybody else to find sooner or later a solution which might be quite different.

And thanks to Burrell for having opened this thread, which at least for me has been very helpful in the end!

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Possible reasons.. Apr 3, 2009

Hi! either the mouse resolution is low or disc catch size is low. I would suggest you improve on both ends. BR Brandis

Ragland Inbaraj
Ragland Inbaraj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:35
English to Tamil
+ ...
When heavy load given to processor Nov 5, 2013

I too have this same issue, But I found that when the processor is given heavy load of applications to handle the cursor jumps or goes invisible in laptops.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Laptop cursor jumping all over the place

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »