Is there any freeware/shareware to count words Power Point?
Thread poster: Alberto Martinez
Alberto Martinez
Alberto Martinez
Malaysia
Local time: 18:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 21, 2008

Dear colleagues:

Does anyone know of any freeware/shareware able to doa wordcount in Power Point files?

Thanks

Alberto
Software Neanderthal

Sara Mullin
Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:39
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You can do it in Powerpoint itself Oct 21, 2008

Hi,
If you click on "Properties" under the "File" tab, a menu pops up. Choose "Statistics" and it will give you the word count. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Sara

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
All of the usual word count applications Oct 21, 2008

like Textcount, Anycount, Finecount etc. as well as most CAT tools.
I also use Text Tally, a small freeware prog that counts clipboard content, with a result that is almost 100% identical to MS Word.

Dr. Birgitte Eggeling
Dr. Birgitte Eggeling  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Danish
TextCount Oct 21, 2008

well I use Textcount and find it very good. It not only counts the words but store your rates and in this way it calculates as well the total amount (incl. VAT).
The Advantage is that you can make an offer for a potential client very quickly. But as far as I know, Text Count is not a Freeware.
Kind regards
Birgitte

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If you want an inflated... Oct 21, 2008

Blingo wrote:
Does anyone know of any freeware/shareware able to doa wordcount in Power Point files?

If you want an inflated word count, try converting to ODP and loading the file in OmegaT. OmegaT automatically counts the words, segments, repetitions etc and saves it as a text file in the project folder. The count is inflated because OmegaT counts all intra-segment changes in formatting as one extra word, and it counts continuous whitespace (except single spaces) as one word extra also.

So,

Code:
The       quick         brown        fox

will be counted in OmegaT as 7 words (without the "Code"). And,

The quick brown fox

will be counted in OmegaT as 8 words. But

The quick brown fox

will be counted in OmegaT as four words only.

Some people find this logical... i.e. that you should charge slightly extra for text with lots of fancy formatting.

[Edited at 2008-10-21 10:17]

[Edited at 2008-10-21 10:18]

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 07:39
Office 2007 Oct 21, 2008

Sara Mullin wrote:

Hi,
If you click on "Properties" under the "File" tab, a menu pops up. Choose "Statistics" and it will give you the word count. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Sara

I can't find this function in PPT 2007.

Sara Mullin
Sara Mullin  Identity Verified
France
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Office 2003 Oct 21, 2008

Hello again,
It's true, I'm not using MS Office 2007. My PPT version is from MS Office 2003.
Sara

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Office 2007 How to Oct 21, 2008

Bin Tiede wrote:

Powerpoint should NOT be open, nor the file you want to count.

From wherever you saved the file on your computer, right-click the name of the file (without opening it) and go to "Properties". On the Properties window, click on the last tab "Details" and scroll waaaaay down to get the word count.

Another option to count Powerpoint files would be to use Werecat to extract all the text from the file into a new Word document. Once extracted, you can count and analyze in Word as usual.

wonita (X)
wonita (X)
China
Local time: 07:39
Respect, Lori! Oct 21, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Bin Tiede wrote:

Powerpoint should NOT be open, nor the file you want to count.

From wherever you saved the file on your computer, right-click the name of the file (without opening it) and go to "Properties". On the Properties window, click on the last tab "Details" and scroll waaaaay down to get the word count.

Another option to count Powerpoint files would be to use Werecat to extract all the text from the file into a new Word document. Once extracted, you can count and analyze in Word as usual.

And thanks.

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
more on werecat Oct 21, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:

Of course, you have to remove the werecat placeholders first before checking the wordcount, so it may not be the fastest method (just an alternative)

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Not the numbers I get from OmegaT Oct 22, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you want an inflated word count, try converting to ODP and loading the file in OmegaT. OmegaT automatically counts the words, segments, repetitions etc and saves it as a text file in the project folder. The count is inflated because OmegaT counts all intra-segment changes in formatting as one extra word, and it counts continuous whitespace (except single spaces) as one word extra also.

This is not what I find with 1.7 or 1.8.

Code:
The       quick         brown        fox

will be counted in OmegaT as 7 words (without the "Code").

I do indeed get 7 words for this text in an OpenOffice presentation, but that's because OpenOffice has 3 times the page number in a one slide presentation, giving a total of 4 segments.

The quick brown fox

will be counted in OmegaT as 8 words. But

The quick brown fox

will be counted in OmegaT as four words only.

All these give me 4 + 3 = 7 words in an OpenOffice presentation document, and 4 words only in an OpenOffice text document.

Some people find this logical... i.e. that you should charge slightly extra for text with lots of fancy formatting.

That would be understandable, but that's not how OmegaT is working.
There is indeed a bug (or a feature), causing tags to be counted as characters in the character count, but that doesn't affect the word count.

Didier

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Peer review Oct 22, 2008

Didier Briel wrote:
I do indeed get 7 words for this text in an OpenOffice presentation, but that's because OpenOffice has 3 times the page number in a one slide presentation, giving a total of 4 segments.

See, that's the benefit of peer review. I was posting on a topic that is actually a bug, and not the way I understood it.

Alberto Martinez
Alberto Martinez
Malaysia
Local time: 18:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for the overwhelming response Oct 22, 2008

Dear all:

Thank you very much for the overwhelming response to my question, product of my supine ignorance.

Until soon!

Alberto

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there any freeware/shareware to count words Power Point?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »