Java updates
Thread poster: Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)
Niraja Nanjundan (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
German to English
Oct 19, 2008

I always get a message that Java updates are available, both on my PC and laptop. Is it necessary to download these updates? I have SDL Trados 2007, and was wondering if it had anything to do with that. Does one need the Java updates to continue using CAT tools?

I searched the forums to see if this has already been discussed, and although I find Java mentioned in some threads, there has been no real discussion on this topic, which is why I'm posting about it again.

Th
... See more
I always get a message that Java updates are available, both on my PC and laptop. Is it necessary to download these updates? I have SDL Trados 2007, and was wondering if it had anything to do with that. Does one need the Java updates to continue using CAT tools?

I searched the forums to see if this has already been discussed, and although I find Java mentioned in some threads, there has been no real discussion on this topic, which is why I'm posting about it again.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Collapse

Anmol
Anmol
No relation to CAT tools Oct 19, 2008

CAT Tools do not use Java, as far as I know. Java is a programming framework largely used by Internet applications. For example, many forms you fill out on the Web are programmed using Javascript, a component of the Java programming environment.

Since Java was developed and is maintained by Sun Microsystems and is used by various Web-based applications that may reside on the computer (if not the Windows OS itself), I would feel completely comfortable in downloading and installing
... See more
CAT Tools do not use Java, as far as I know. Java is a programming framework largely used by Internet applications. For example, many forms you fill out on the Web are programmed using Javascript, a component of the Java programming environment.

Since Java was developed and is maintained by Sun Microsystems and is used by various Web-based applications that may reside on the computer (if not the Windows OS itself), I would feel completely comfortable in downloading and installing Java updates. It is highly recommended, as a matter of fact.

One needs to have anti-virus software enabled, of course, as is true of all downloads, even official downloads from Microsoft.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, wrong points. Oct 19, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:

CAT Tools do not use Java, as far as I know.

OmegaT is a Java program, meaning that it is written in Java and can only run with JRE installed.

As for Trados, it's known to require Java for work of filters for certain file formats, such as InDesign, and MultiTerm requires it as well, but may require a particular version of it. For example, MultiTerm 7 requires strictly JRE 1.4.2_08.

Newer versions of Java have various improvements and fixes, but, unless you use Java programs, I would not recommend updating your JRE.

Java is a programming framework largely used by Internet applications. For example, many forms you fill out on the Web are programmed using Javascript, a component of the Java programming environment.

Javascript is a totally different thing, absolutely unrelated to Java.

[Edited at 2008-10-19 13:32]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
If that were so...? Oct 19, 2008

Anil Gidwani wrote:
CAT Tools do not use Java, as far as I know.

If that were so, then why does Trados install Java when it installs itself? And don't forget OmegaT, the new unreleased version of Wordfast, and a whole host of other CAT tools that can't work without Java.

For example, many forms you fill out on the Web are programmed using Javascript, a component of the Java programming environment.

I'm under the impression that JavaScript and Java have only four things in common... four letters, and nothing else.

One needs to have anti-virus software enabled, of course, as is true of all downloads, even official downloads from Microsoft.

I disagree. If an official download contains a virus, and the official site does not detect it, then no home-based anti-virus program is going to detect it.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:04
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I'm under the impression Oct 19, 2008

esperantisto wrote:
Newer versions of Java have various improvements and fixes, but, unless you use Java programs, I would not recommend updating your JRE.

I always update my Java to the latest version. But I'm under the impression that two versions of it can happily live together on the same computer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anmol
Anmol
I did not know that Oct 20, 2008

esperantisto wrote:

Javascript is a totally different thing, absolutely unrelated to Java.

As the American legend Johnny Carson would say, I did not know that.

You are right, Java was developed by Sun Microsystems, and Javascript by Netscape (Mozilla/Thunderbird). Both are object-oriented systems, though. And working together, which is usually the case and the cause of the confusion, they form a powerful combination.

Anmol
Anmol
Hmmm..... Oct 20, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:

I'm under the impression that JavaScript and Java have only four things in common... four letters, and nothing else.

They are both object-oriented, one being a programming language, the other a full-fledged programming environment.

That's a pretty sweeping statement to make, eh, isn't it, Samuel? After all, everything under the sun has something in common. Existence!

If an official download contains a virus, and the official site does not detect it, then no home-based anti-virus program is going to detect it.

No relation between official downloads and being virus-free, for sure. I wouldn't trust an official Microsoft update to be virus free.... Would you?

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:04
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You're right Oct 20, 2008

Samuel Murray wrote:
But I'm under the impression that two versions of it can happily live together on the same computer.

You can have a bunch of JREs installed on your machine. The matter, however, is which will be the default. Normally, the JRE that is the last installed grabs the default status. Which means, that if you have MultiTerm 7 requiring strictly JRE 1.4.2_08 and update to the latest Java 6, you may have trouble.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Java updates

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »