Thread poster: Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar
Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 18:18
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jun 9, 2003

Just finished the translation of two huge Excel files (a dozen of sheets in each, with up to 500 rows), to discover now that I am unable to count the number of characters (the basis for the pricing). Practicount seems to work hard on it, but then, it produces no results at all. I have already tried different settings - no result.

Can you give me some useful hint? (If only possible, I would rather not copy the whole of it into Word...)

myrafla
myrafla
Local time: 12:18
English to Kazakh
+ ...
need the right formula settings Jun 9, 2003

Hi Eva, to do sums or/and multiply you would need the right formula settings in your Excel document depending on the function and the number of parameters to consider in the final total, like for instance: SUM(K7/50)*$K$2, where K7 is the cell number (location, identification); 50 is the rate (you have to set it above the calculation sheet. You should have at least 2 parameters to go by like quantity, number say of people, that will multiply, then multiply the amount at your current rate set abo... See more
Hi Eva, to do sums or/and multiply you would need the right formula settings in your Excel document depending on the function and the number of parameters to consider in the final total, like for instance: SUM(K7/50)*$K$2, where K7 is the cell number (location, identification); 50 is the rate (you have to set it above the calculation sheet. You should have at least 2 parameters to go by like quantity, number say of people, that will multiply, then multiply the amount at your current rate set above the column. The total of the row will appear on the right (in the last right column). In actually K7 you are gonna have this formula set: =SUM(E7:I7)*J7*C7 (so that it would multiply along the row from C7 to J7 and give you the result in K7. From where it gets picked up and results in L7.

The rows' totals are gonna sum down the column and give you the result in the row and cell on the right. That will be your total: Say for example you are gonna be summing in L column, so the formula set is gonna be: SUM(L6:L91).

Try and please let me know if it worked for you.
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:18
English to Dutch
+ ...
Mine does... Jun 22, 2003

Eva Blanar wrote:

Just finished the translation of two huge Excel files (a dozen of sheets in each, with up to 500 rows), to discover now that I am unable to count the number of characters (the basis for the pricing). Practicount seems to work hard on it, but then, it produces no results at all. I have already tried different settings - no result.

Can you give me some useful hint? (If only possible, I would rather not copy the whole of it into Word...)

Did you check 'Report visualisation' in the 'Settings' section? Check the characters with and without spaces boxes. You should get what you need in no time.

Best,

Evert Deloof-Sys

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Practicount does not count in Excel

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »