https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113036-problems_sendiing_emails_with_outlook_express.html

problems sendiing emails with Outlook Express
Thread poster: Enza Longo
Enza Longo
Enza Longo  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:48
French to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2008

Has anyone else been having problems sending emails with Outlook Express? No problems receiving them. For the last few days I've been getting this message:

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Subject 'xxxx', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. User is over the limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error:
... See more
Has anyone else been having problems sending emails with Outlook Express? No problems receiving them. For the last few days I've been getting this message:

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Subject 'xxxx', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. User is over the limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

This happens even when I try to send out the first e-mail of the day, so it certainly isn't because it's over the limit as the message states... I didn't even know there was a limit!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Collapse

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:48
English to Finnish
+ ...
The provider would know Aug 19, 2008

Enza Longo wrote:

Has anyone else been having problems sending emails with Outlook Express?

Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk'
Server Response: '521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. User is over the limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.'

If you cannot find an explanation on the web (a quick look turned up http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060616034410AAKMWBC), I suggest contacting Yahoo, as they should be able to tell you why their server acts the way it does.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
My Outlook Express hasn't worked for over a month Aug 19, 2008

My Outlook Express stopped working over a month ago when my service provider (Orange) was fiddling about with its website and withdrew all internet service for several days. Although I can now send and receive email via Internet Explorer, Outlook Express hasn't worked since. Orange says its engineers are "working on it" and will restore it eventually. Heigh ho. So much for "service".
Jenny.

Dimitra Karamperi
Dimitra Karamperi  Identity Verified
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
Try to delete and re-create your Yahoo email account... Aug 19, 2008

Enza Longo wrote:

An unknown error was returned from the SMTP server. Subject 'xxxx', Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Server: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. User is over the limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.', Port: 465, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 521, Error Number: 0x800CCC61

This happens even when I try to send out the first e-mail of the day, so it certainly isn't because it's over the limit as the message states... I didn't even know there was a limit!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Enza,

It also happened to me when I used Outlook Express -- I now switched to Thunderbird.
This is what I did and suggest you do to solve the problem:

- Write down all the settings of the account, SMPT, POP, etc.
- Delete the account
- Recreate the account entering all the necessary details

The account should be working now.

BTW, I discovered that this problem happened more often when Outlook Express checked by default for new messages in my Yahoo account. So I unchecked the relevant box in Outlook Express and checked manually the account every half an hour or so.
Hope this will help you.

Regards,
Dimitra

Sonja Allen
Sonja Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:48
English to German
+ ...
Same here Aug 19, 2008

Jenny Forbes wrote:

My Outlook Express stopped working over a month ago when my service provider (Orange) was fiddling about with its website and withdrew all internet service for several days. Although I can now send and receive email via Internet Explorer, Outlook Express hasn't worked since. Orange says its engineers are "working on it" and will restore it eventually. Heigh ho. So much for "service".
Jenny.

I am with Tiscali and can't use Outlook at the moment either and haven't been able for over a week. Their explanation: some switches in the server have gone bang and they are still unable to procure enough replacement switches (delivery problems). So how about that for service. I can get to my email sometimes via my webmail in Explorer but that is not much of a consolation.

Enza Longo
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your suggestions so far Aug 19, 2008

I've sent an e-mail to Yahoo support and although they say they'll reply within 24 hrs, I'm not holding my breath!
I've unchecked the automatic mail-check option as well as deleted and recreated the account as per Dimitra's suggestion but it hasn't made a difference.
Thankfully, I'm able to send out emails through I/E but it's such a hassle!

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Use another server - not another e-mail Aug 19, 2008

Find out with your ISP what options you have for sending e-mail. Odds are high that you can send e-mails using an SMTP-server of the internet provider.
I'm assuming you don't travel with that computer of yours and therefore don't need to be able to send mails from any point with internet access. Because using a server of the ISP limits you to being connected to its network - when you leave the network, you most likely will not be able to send e-mails through that server.

Enza Longo
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
from bad to worse Aug 20, 2008

Not only can't I send e-mails, it now appears that I can't receive them!
I'm going to sleep on it and hopefully, when I wake up tomorrow morning, it will all have resolved itself.

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Do you use the "premium Yahoo! Mail Plus" service? Aug 20, 2008

Do you use the "premium Yahoo! Mail Plus" service? Because according to http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html only users of this service can use POP3 to fetch their e-mail. The non-paying users have to use third-party solutions like YPOPs. So, if your account is a free one, I wouldn't be surprised if Yahoo chose to close the hole th... See more
Do you use the "premium Yahoo! Mail Plus" service? Because according to http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/mailplus/pop/pop-35.html only users of this service can use POP3 to fetch their e-mail. The non-paying users have to use third-party solutions like YPOPs. So, if your account is a free one, I wouldn't be surprised if Yahoo chose to close the hole that allowed non-paying customers POP3 accesss.

P.S. It seems I misunderstood the way YPOPs! works. It does not exploit a hole in Yahoo, but acts as a gateway between different protocols. So obviously the problem of not being able to send and receive e-mails is with Yahoo. But still YPOPs! (http://ypopsemail.com and http://sourceforge.net/projects/yahoopops/?abmode=1 with a newer version) looks like a reasonable alternative.

[Edited at 2008-08-20 09:16]
Collapse

Enza Longo
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update - can now send but still cannot receive Aug 20, 2008

I contacted my ISP provider this morning and they helped me reconfigure my SMTP outgoing settings. I can now send emails... hooray! However, they cannot help me with my POP3 incoming settings as I have to take that up with Yahoo.
Right now my POP3 is set at 995 with SSL checked (like it's always been).
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Caryl Swift
Caryl Swift  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:48
Polish to English
+ ...
Same here! Aug 20, 2008

Hi, Enza!

I've just posted a forum thread on exactly the same issue - somehow, I didn't notice your thread before I did so. Sorry about that.

Here's my posting:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113150

The point is that eveyrthing was working just fine twelve hours ago and I've never had any problems before, so
... See more
Hi, Enza!

I've just posted a forum thread on exactly the same issue - somehow, I didn't notice your thread before I did so. Sorry about that.

Here's my posting:

http://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/113150

The point is that eveyrthing was working just fine twelve hours ago and I've never had any problems before, so I'm very reluctant to go messing about with my settings. And I've received no reply to my mail to Yahoo support at all as yet.

I had a look on the Yahoo forums, and it seems we're not alone...

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they're working on it.

My best wishes,
Caryl
Collapse

Enza Longo
Canada
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oh Happy Day!! Aug 20, 2008

My Outlook Express just starting working again this very minute - it's sending and receiving beautifully! Let's hope they've got this thing resolved once and for all.

Sal53 (X)
Sal53 (X)
English
521 error message Jan 14, 2009

I am with BTYahoo and i use Windows Live Mail
I send out a newsletter every week in 6 batches of 30 to 80 contacts.
It's been working fine until just before christmas. I can manage to send 3 batches then I get the message "Server error 521 521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. Use over limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.
So far I have got round it by sending the other groups after midnight.
I have an email account with BTYahoo and 6 sub-account
... See more
I am with BTYahoo and i use Windows Live Mail
I send out a newsletter every week in 6 batches of 30 to 80 contacts.
It's been working fine until just before christmas. I can manage to send 3 batches then I get the message "Server error 521 521 yahoo.com closing transmission channel. Use over limit for messages allowed to be sent in a single day.
So far I have got round it by sending the other groups after midnight.
I have an email account with BTYahoo and 6 sub-accounts. Once I've sent a couple of groups from 1 account and then I get the error 521 I can still send from another account.
Have phoned BTYahoo and they say there is no limit on the number of emails I can send.
I don't seem to be getting anywhere.
Sal53
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

problems sendiing emails with Outlook Express

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »