Using a Blackberry in Spain?
Thread poster: Tootsie121
Tootsie121
Tootsie121
English
Aug 18, 2008

Hi,
I am new to this site and notice that a lot of people have blackberry knowledge.

I am about to go on holiday to Spain and would like to be able to use my UK Blackberry whilst there to send and receive emails. My contract is with Orange and I have called them to ask them to enable roaming etc. They have said that my phone is set up for roaming for calls and texts etc and that they don't need to enable the Blackberry service for roaming as this is something that is automati
... See more
Hi,
I am new to this site and notice that a lot of people have blackberry knowledge.

I am about to go on holiday to Spain and would like to be able to use my UK Blackberry whilst there to send and receive emails. My contract is with Orange and I have called them to ask them to enable roaming etc. They have said that my phone is set up for roaming for calls and texts etc and that they don't need to enable the Blackberry service for roaming as this is something that is automatically done.

A friend of mine who is also with Orange said that her phone didn't work the first time that she went abroad in terms of the Blackberry service and that Orange has to do something to enable it?! I am completely lost really, when I ask Orange they are adament that they have done all they need to but I am worried that I will get there and it won't work.

Can anyone shine any light on this at all please?

Thanks,

Toots
Collapse

Manuela Junghans
Manuela Junghans  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:04
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
Hi Tootsie Aug 18, 2008

I use my Blackberry the other way round.
I have a contract in Spain (with Vodafone though) and it works perfectly fine in the UK and in Germany.
What you might have to do once you arrive in Spain is to scan for the national/regional network there.
You only go to your settings, choose network and then your Blackberry will scan for the strongest signal (and in may case) pick it up very quickly.

Hope that helps.

Manuela

[Edited at 2008-08-18 10:2
... See more
I use my Blackberry the other way round.
I have a contract in Spain (with Vodafone though) and it works perfectly fine in the UK and in Germany.
What you might have to do once you arrive in Spain is to scan for the national/regional network there.
You only go to your settings, choose network and then your Blackberry will scan for the strongest signal (and in may case) pick it up very quickly.

Hope that helps.

Manuela

[Edited at 2008-08-18 10:25]
Collapse

Tootsie121
Tootsie121
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 18, 2008

Thanks Manuela, that's great. I was just worried that I would get there and not be able to send and receive emails. This is the first holiday that I have had in 2yrs and it will be a working holiday at that, without the added worry of my Blackberry not working) Thanks again.

Toots

Paula James
Paula James  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:04
French to English
+ ...
Orange exists in Spain Sep 23, 2008

I have an Orange contract blackberry in Spain (which I use in the UK and all countries except Andorra so far) so I can't imagine you'll have any problem. Just be aware of the cost - roaming charges are expensive!

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:04
Italian to English
+ ...
Used a Blackberry in Spain many times Sep 24, 2008

I've used a Blackberry in Spain for the last couple of years. My contract is US based, with ATT.

It works fine, although be warned that your bill will balloon fairly quickly, if your plan is anything like mine.

The actual Blackberry service has an unlimited data amount, however, on ATT's side of things, they charge for roaming KBs.

You might want to ask if Orange/UK has an international plan that you can temporarily switch to. It will lower the call rate,
... See more
I've used a Blackberry in Spain for the last couple of years. My contract is US based, with ATT.

It works fine, although be warned that your bill will balloon fairly quickly, if your plan is anything like mine.

The actual Blackberry service has an unlimited data amount, however, on ATT's side of things, they charge for roaming KBs.

You might want to ask if Orange/UK has an international plan that you can temporarily switch to. It will lower the call rate, SMS/MMS rate and KBs transferred rate.

HTH

R.
==
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using a Blackberry in Spain?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »