https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/112588-blackberry_pushes_read_messages.html

Blackberry pushes 'read' messages
Thread poster: Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Petra Dr. Schmidt-Sarbutt
Australia
Local time: 19:34
German to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2008

Hello,

First of all apologies if I selected the wrong forum. Nothing really seemed to fit...

A few months ago, I purchased a Blackberry Pearl 8120 and am really happy about my new-found FREEDOM!

As I am on a pay-as-you-go plan, I normally enable the data services function only when I'm away from my desk for longer periods.

I had to find though that when I turn data services on, Blackberry pushes not only 'new' messages, but all 'read' messages
... See more
Hello,

First of all apologies if I selected the wrong forum. Nothing really seemed to fit...

A few months ago, I purchased a Blackberry Pearl 8120 and am really happy about my new-found FREEDOM!

As I am on a pay-as-you-go plan, I normally enable the data services function only when I'm away from my desk for longer periods.

I had to find though that when I turn data services on, Blackberry pushes not only 'new' messages, but all 'read' messages from my main mail account (AOL) as well! Not good for payg users!

While it is not a major financial catastrophe, last time I turned BB data services on after a few days' slumber, 200 read messages were pushed! (And that in spite of the fact that I have already filtered senders!)

I have been unable to find among the myriad of options on the device anything that allows me to change these settings.

Does anyone know how to set up the BB so that new messages only are pushed?

Many thanks,
Petra
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I do not think this can be done Aug 13, 2008

As far as I know BB fetches your messages as soon as they arrive, mostly before you can read them on your pc client. I do not think it is possible to make it wait, so you would get your message headers even if you delete them from your mail server.

The beauty of BB is that you get your mail in real time.

What you can probably do, if I remember correctly, is to make sure that on your BB you are only forwarded the headers, not the full messages. You will then automatical
... See more
As far as I know BB fetches your messages as soon as they arrive, mostly before you can read them on your pc client. I do not think it is possible to make it wait, so you would get your message headers even if you delete them from your mail server.

The beauty of BB is that you get your mail in real time.

What you can probably do, if I remember correctly, is to make sure that on your BB you are only forwarded the headers, not the full messages. You will then automatically download the rest when you open them.

Ciao
Collapse

Nicholas Stedman
Nicholas Stedman  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 11:34
French to English
Download your messages with Thunderbird or Outlook Aug 13, 2008

If you messages are downloaded to your computer and no longer present in your ISP's mailbox they won't be pushed to your Blackberry. There is a race against time though so download your messages automatically every minute before your Blackberry finds them!
Don't forget to use the filters. Mine are organized to only allow translation agency messages to be pushed to my blackberry. It may be useful to have an email address for translation only linked to your BB.

[Edited at 2008-08-13 1
... See more
If you messages are downloaded to your computer and no longer present in your ISP's mailbox they won't be pushed to your Blackberry. There is a race against time though so download your messages automatically every minute before your Blackberry finds them!
Don't forget to use the filters. Mine are organized to only allow translation agency messages to be pushed to my blackberry. It may be useful to have an email address for translation only linked to your BB.

[Edited at 2008-08-13 16:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blackberry pushes 'read' messages

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »