Thread poster: Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan
Mahmoud Rayyan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 22:21
English to Arabic
Aug 11, 2008

Peace be upon you all,

First of all sorry if the content of my topic is not placed in the appropriate forum,
Actually I need to know the difference between Unicode and non-Unicode fonts in terms of the complexity of translation process regarding both kinds of text, and also from a financial point of view is there any difference in rate between the two fonts?
Thanks in advance.
Rayyan

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Check your fonts with the Microsoft Font properties extension Aug 11, 2008

This should be a non issue if you're using Windows XP or higher, since the default Arabic fonts e.g. Traditional Arabic, Simplified Arabic are Unicode fonts. This means that your clients should be able to open files translated by you without any problems as long as they have Arabic fonts installed.
However, there are some Arabic fonts available that are not Unicode-compatible and will only work an Arabic Windows. You should avoid these fonts, unless your client has Arabic Windows. If you'
... See more
This should be a non issue if you're using Windows XP or higher, since the default Arabic fonts e.g. Traditional Arabic, Simplified Arabic are Unicode fonts. This means that your clients should be able to open files translated by you without any problems as long as they have Arabic fonts installed.
However, there are some Arabic fonts available that are not Unicode-compatible and will only work an Arabic Windows. You should avoid these fonts, unless your client has Arabic Windows. If you're not sure whether your fonts are Unicode-compatible, download the Microsoft Font properties extension:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/truetypeproperty21.mspx

Olaf
Collapse

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Olaf Aug 11, 2008

Thanks Olaf for your valuable information, I will download this tool and try it, but concerning my second question which is the financial issue, does it make any difference regarding rates in translation?
Many thanks
Rayyan

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 13:21
English to Arabic
+ ...
Second (financial) question: a busiess-based answer is no Aug 11, 2008

Greetings... ahalan wa sahalan...

Re your second question: "which is the financial issue, does it make any difference regarding rates in translation?"

From a business perpective, the answer is no.

Hope this helps.

Khair, in shaa' Allah.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

Mahmoud Rayyan
Egypt
English to Arabic
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Stephen Aug 12, 2008

Thanks Stephen for answering my question.

Rayyan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The difference between Unicode and non-Unicode fonts

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »