Does anyone know how to download e-mails into Outlook 2007 from a domain hosted by Proz.com?
Thread poster: Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:44
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 12, 2008

I have a strange problem, that my e-mails will not download. If I log into Proz.com hosting I can see them there, but I cannot find a way to make them download into Outlook.

By way of explanation, Outlook is now configured absolutely correctly, and, according to Outlook itself, it has no trouble in fetching the e-mails from the server. However, they simply do not appear in Outlook. There are no error messages.

Astrid

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you check the spam folder in Outlook? Jul 12, 2008

Outlook 2007 does treat spam differently (better), than all earlier versions of Outlook.
Beside that, all sender are now new to Outlook and have to be configured again.

As you state, that Outlook is configured correctly (POP3, incoming and outcoming server are mail.yourdomain.com or similar), this is IMHO the only reason why you don't see mails.
Please also check the settings of your firewall, which is certainly also integrated in Outlook.

Best regards
... See more
Outlook 2007 does treat spam differently (better), than all earlier versions of Outlook.
Beside that, all sender are now new to Outlook and have to be configured again.

As you state, that Outlook is configured correctly (POP3, incoming and outcoming server are mail.yourdomain.com or similar), this is IMHO the only reason why you don't see mails.
Please also check the settings of your firewall, which is certainly also integrated in Outlook.

Best regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have checked the Kaspersky settings Jul 12, 2008

Thanks, Jerzy,

There is nothing in the spam folders. I have looked at the Kaspersky settings and the following four things seem to be marked as prohibited:

Local Services (TCP)
Local Services (UDP)
Remote Desktop
Any incoming ICMP

Do any of those need to be changed? (I do not know what any of them are.)

Astrid

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Sorry, but I dont know the answer Jul 12, 2008

If everything is set allright, than Outlook should download mails as it always did.
My Outlook 2007 (btw, I like it more than Outlook 2003) does work with ProZ.com mail hosting without any problem.

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:44
English to Hebrew
+ ...
No need to change any of the entrys you mentioned Jul 12, 2008

Hi,

From what I understand after that you finished with all the configuration settings of the account everything seems fine when you click the Test Account Settings option.
Outlook is connecting to the server without any errors.
If indeed so, maybe it is a problem with the folder settings. Do you have more than 1 email account configures in Outlook? You should try and check if each account is configured to store the mails in a different folder or not.
If you tried
... See more
Hi,

From what I understand after that you finished with all the configuration settings of the account everything seems fine when you click the Test Account Settings option.
If indeed so, maybe it is a problem with the folder settings. Do you have more than 1 email account configures in Outlook? You should try and check if each account is configured to store the mails in a different folder or not.
If you tried to download your emails they might got deleted from the server (unless you configured it not to delete messages from server). If so than you might don't gave any more mails on the server. Try to send to your self a test message and check if you receive it.
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I sent myself a test message Jul 12, 2008

Hi Shai,

I sent myself a test message and it is still sitting on the Proz.com server and refuses to download.

Yes, I have another account configured as well, and the e-mails from that one download without any problem.

On the PC which I had until recently I got the e-mails from both accounts to download into the main inbox, and there was no problem with that.

Best regards,

Astrid

Shai Nave wrote:

Hi,

If you tried to download your emails they might got deleted from the server (unless you configured it not to delete messages from server). If so than you might don't gave any more mails on the server. Try to send to your self a test message and check if you receive it.

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
POddible solutions Jul 12, 2008

Hi Astrid,

I'm sorry but I don't have much time right now to deal with that.
Do you think that the mails are getting downloaded from the server and you just can't see them in the Inbox? (or do you have problem connecting to the server itself?) If so I suspect that something is wrong in your folder settings of Outlook.
Here
... See more
Hi Astrid,

I'm sorry but I don't have much time right now to deal with that.
Do you think that the mails are getting downloaded from the server and you just can't see them in the Inbox? (or do you have problem connecting to the server itself?) If so I suspect that something is wrong in your folder settings of Outlook.
Here is a link (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA102221781033.aspx) that might help you a little.
Here is another link (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP010210641033.aspx) which you might try too (although I don't think that this one will help to solve your specific problem as I understand it).

I'm sorry for my lack of time, but tomorrow I will check if you replayed yet and we can continue from there.

Oh, and another thing. If you search for new mail using the search folders or the built in Outlook search (and assuming that you know the subject of one of your unseen mails - maybe the test message that you sent to your self), do you get any results?

and lastly, is it possible that your AV created a Spam folder of some sort under the parent directory Inbox and just filter all the new mails to that folder by mistake?
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It appears to be a fault on the proz.com server Jul 12, 2008

Thanks, Shai,

It does not appear to be anything to do with my folders, though. I do not have many folders to look through, since I have only been using this laptop for my work since Thursday.

I carried out a search of the computer for the e-mails that are on the server, by name, but they are not there. They have not downloaded yet.

I will submit a support ticket, as it must be a fault on the proz.com server. I think there is no other possibility, since the
... See more
Thanks, Shai,

It does not appear to be anything to do with my folders, though. I do not have many folders to look through, since I have only been using this laptop for my work since Thursday.

I carried out a search of the computer for the e-mails that are on the server, by name, but they are not there. They have not downloaded yet.

I will submit a support ticket, as it must be a fault on the proz.com server. I think there is no other possibility, since the test in Outlook gives the result that it is perfectly configured and is working properly.

Astrid
Collapse

Shai Navé
Israel
English to Hebrew
+ ...
I guess that a support ticket will be a good idea Jul 13, 2008

This is the information that I found on Proz regarding the configuration settings of your email account http://www.proz.com/howto/203#client_config
I believe that you already configured it properly,so the best net step is indeed to ask the proz technical team for assistance.
I hope that it will get solved soon.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone know how to download e-mails into Outlook 2007 from a domain hosted by Proz.com?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »