Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Jul 5, 2008

Hi,
I have been facing a strange problem since yesterday evening. Ctrl and shift keys in my laptop are not work and for no apparent reason. It was working fine yesterday. It seems that there's nothing I can do to sort this out.
I have already checked with my antivirus - norton internet security 2007. So the problem is somewhere else.
thanks in advance,
best regards,
ritu

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:40
Latin to English
+ ...
MAybe it's a hardware problem with the keyboard Jul 5, 2008

I have a laptop that I use as a desktop (it never leaves the desk) and I have a separate keyboard plugged into it, because it is larger and thus ergonometrically better than the laptop's own keyboard (which I leave untouched). A while back the plug-in keyboard developed the same problem you had, while the keys in question worked fine on the laptop's own keyboard. The solution was to get a new keyboard. I realize you may be using your laptop's own keyboard, but it occurs to me the problem coul... See more
I have a laptop that I use as a desktop (it never leaves the desk) and I have a separate keyboard plugged into it, because it is larger and thus ergonometrically better than the laptop's own keyboard (which I leave untouched). A while back the plug-in keyboard developed the same problem you had, while the keys in question worked fine on the laptop's own keyboard. The solution was to get a new keyboard. I realize you may be using your laptop's own keyboard, but it occurs to me the problem could be a similar hardware one. You could take it to a computer repair place, but of course that's pretty expensive. An alternate solution would be to purchase the cheapest possible separate keyboard and plug it in (be sure to get the same kind of connector!) and see if that solves your problem (or borrow one from a friend as a tryout). At least in the U.S. the cheapest keyboards only cost about $25. And I think you will find a separate, larger keyboard with a separate set of "numerical" keys and the a rising set of rows more ergonometric than your laptops' keyboard. Of course if you travel with your laptop, this won't help and a visit to a computer repair shop may be the only option. Regards and good luck.Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:40
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Did you spill anything? Jul 5, 2008

I ruined 5 of my keys when my toddler spiled cordial on my lap top. They were replaced and everything has been fine ever since.

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Laptop keyboard Jul 6, 2008

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I'm not sure about the origin of the problem but I do know that I didn't spill anything on it because I don't eat/ drink while working.
When I want to eat/ drink something, I usually leave my work-desk. An old habit from the days when one was supposed to keep computers in closed rooms and take off shoes before entering that room, etc.. Nowadays, I bring in my shoes etc. but I rarely eat/ drink near my computer/ laptop.

BTW
... See more
Hi,

Thanks a lot for your responses. I'm not sure about the origin of the problem but I do know that I didn't spill anything on it because I don't eat/ drink while working.
When I want to eat/ drink something, I usually leave my work-desk. An old habit from the days when one was supposed to keep computers in closed rooms and take off shoes before entering that room, etc.. Nowadays, I bring in my shoes etc. but I rarely eat/ drink near my computer/ laptop.

BTW looks like my keys are working again. What did I do? I searched the internet and there was something about laptop keys that stop working if you keep them pressed for a long time and they had suggested some solutions:

Control panel> Accesibility options> Sticky keys.

I had to untick all the options and all my keys are working fine now.

I hope this information will be of some use to others.

Thanks once again and have a nice sunday.

Ritu

P.S.: It started working correctly only after restarting the laptop.

[Edited at 2008-07-06 05:05]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:40
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sticky keys... Jul 6, 2008

So it was all about Windows really. I think it is absolutely great that Windows has such a feature for the people who need it, but what I don't quite understand is why it is enabled by default in all setups of the OS when the percentage of the population potentially using it is very low indeed. Maybe they want to keep its visibility high... at the cost of causing a nuisance to many users.

I must confess that many times when I am thinking about the approach for the translation of a s
... See more
So it was all about Windows really. I think it is absolutely great that Windows has such a feature for the people who need it, but what I don't quite understand is why it is enabled by default in all setups of the OS when the percentage of the population potentially using it is very low indeed. Maybe they want to keep its visibility high... at the cost of causing a nuisance to many users.

I must confess that many times when I am thinking about the approach for the translation of a sentence, I press the Shift key many times. So every time I use a new computer I have to disable the feature!
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
sticky keys Jul 6, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

I must confess that many times when I am thinking about the approach for the translation of a sentence, I press the Shift key many times. So every time I use a new computer I have to disable the feature!

Me too! I always hit the shift key several times when I'm thinking about how to start a sentence. I didn't know it was called "sticky keys" in English, my French computer gives me a warning about "touches rémanantes", but I always have the option to say "no".

[Edited at 2008-07-06 08:50]

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I'm relieved! Jul 6, 2008

Lori Cirefice wrote:
Me too! I always hit the shift key several times when I'm thinking about how to start a sentence. I didn't know it was called "sticky keys" in English, my French computer gives me a warning about "touches rémanantes", but I always have the option to say "no".

I am glad to read this. So I'm not completely bananas. Or... I am bananas along with other people, which makes me suddenly believe that pressing the Shift key compulsively is a quite sensible thing to do!

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
LOL Jul 6, 2008

Tomás Cano Binder wrote:

So I'm not completely bananas.

Yes, I think we are (at least that's what my husband says about me), but at least we're not alone

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
not only you Jul 6, 2008

I've done that before, too. Sticky keys sets in when you press shift 5 times, but a popup asks you if you really want it... Ritu probably okayed the popup without really looking at it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ctrl and shift keys not working

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »