Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 09:20
English to Greek
+ ...
Jun 20, 2008

Hello,

What method do you use to keep you keyboard clean? I've always struggled with different forms of dusting and blowing through the keys, but today I accidentally poured orange juice on my keyboard (ok, I know we shouldn't eat or drink on the computer, I just have to clean up now... ) and I know that dusting and blowing won't make my keys less sticky...

Please help!!

See more
Hello,

What method do you use to keep you keyboard clean? I've always struggled with different forms of dusting and blowing through the keys, but today I accidentally poured orange juice on my keyboard (ok, I know we shouldn't eat or drink on the computer, I just have to clean up now... ) and I know that dusting and blowing won't make my keys less sticky...

Please help!!

Collapse

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:20
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
I lost 5 keys that way... Jun 20, 2008

I don't remember doing it, it could have been my 3 year old, but I had to have 5 keys replace on my laptop that way. They said it was cordial.

Be really careful and hope for the best.

Try taking the keys off if the kayboard allows it (google it, it's not that hard, a bit like popping a cap off a botlle) and see if you can wipe a bit under the keys with a soft damp cloth (mild detergent).

Generally, I use the hoover (turn the pc off) and then I wipe with a s
... See more
I don't remember doing it, it could have been my 3 year old, but I had to have 5 keys replace on my laptop that way. They said it was cordial.

Be really careful and hope for the best.

Try taking the keys off if the kayboard allows it (google it, it's not that hard, a bit like popping a cap off a botlle) and see if you can wipe a bit under the keys with a soft damp cloth (mild detergent).

Generally, I use the hoover (turn the pc off) and then I wipe with a soft damp cloth once a week (at least that's the aim).

I can recommend buying a can of compressed air for the tricky parts.
Collapse

Boris Kimel
Boris Kimel  Identity Verified
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
You can wash it Jun 20, 2008

Provided it is not a wireless keyboard you can disassemble it and put the electronics aside. Normally there should be a small printed circuit board inside with the external cord soldered into it. You can wash the plastic keys and the case exactly like usual tableware, using whatever detergent and brushes. Just let the parts dry completely before assembling them again. This is the most effective way, extremely effective compared to alcoholized cotton pads or tissues. Just be careful with the swit... See more
Provided it is not a wireless keyboard you can disassemble it and put the electronics aside. Normally there should be a small printed circuit board inside with the external cord soldered into it. You can wash the plastic keys and the case exactly like usual tableware, using whatever detergent and brushes. Just let the parts dry completely before assembling them again. This is the most effective way, extremely effective compared to alcoholized cotton pads or tissues. Just be careful with the switching parts - use some 70% alcohol on these, Vodka would be okay too with somewhat longer drying time.

Do not use this procedure if you are unsure or for a laptop though. A new keyboard is not much of an investment too.
Collapse

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I keep my fingers crossed... Jun 20, 2008

Luckily, I don't use a laptop! However, I use quite an expensive ergonomic model, and I wouldn't like to lose it...

None of the keyboard's main keys seems to be in problem, but all fast-access keys on the upper part of the keyboard ignore me... No more than 15 keys...

... and it is wireless, too...

[Edited at 2008-06-20 08:43]

Boris Kimel
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
You can disassemble it at least Jun 20, 2008

Or ask someone to do it. There should be numerous Philips screws (with a cross) on the underside to be unscrewed. My Microsoft Office keyboard (with a scrolling wheel etc.) has more than ten altogether.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
How to dry the keyboard Jun 20, 2008

Hullo Eleni,
After you've disconnected the keyboard and cleaned it, possibly dabbing with warm water containing a little washing-up liquid, a good way to make sure it's completely dry is to leave it (and/or the dismantled components) in the airing cupboard overnight (if you have an airing cupboard). In beautiful sunny Greece, I guess you could just leave it in a safe, breezy place outdoors for a while to dry off before reconnecting it.
I've seen on TV that the organisers of outdoor p
... See more
Hullo Eleni,
After you've disconnected the keyboard and cleaned it, possibly dabbing with warm water containing a little washing-up liquid, a good way to make sure it's completely dry is to leave it (and/or the dismantled components) in the airing cupboard overnight (if you have an airing cupboard). In beautiful sunny Greece, I guess you could just leave it in a safe, breezy place outdoors for a while to dry off before reconnecting it.
I've seen on TV that the organisers of outdoor pop concerts in wet Britain dry their electronic sound equipment with hair-dryers!
Best of luck!
Jenny
Collapse

Αlban SHPΑTΑ
Αlban SHPΑTΑ  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2008)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Patience Jun 20, 2008

Boris Kimel wrote:

You can wash the plastic keys and the case exactly like usual tableware
ust let the parts dry completely before assembling them again.
[/quote]

I would rather buy a new keyboard.

"Assembling Keyboard Keys" climbs the chart up to number two in Most Annoying Things to Do Before You Die. First place is of course Cleaning Rice with Boxing-Gloves on.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:) Jun 20, 2008

I like the hair-drier solution! I just need to google a little more the disassembling option, to gain a little extra courage, before I attempt anything of the kind!

Boris Kimel
Israel
English to Russian
+ ...
This is always an option Jun 20, 2008

i Translate wrote:
"Assembling Keyboard Keys"...

Luckily nowadays most keyboards do not fall apart into individual keys being disassembled. Most probably the keys will remain either in the plastic cover or on their places in the bottom part. And it is never too late to buy a new keyboard too, knowing how it works

Please don't blame me if this specific model won't reassemble. It should, but things happen.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Jigsaw puzzle... Jun 20, 2008

Boris Kimel wrote:

Please don't blame me if this specific model won't reassemble. It should, but things happen.

I only blame me for not knowing better before the "accident"... Besides, McGyver had always been my favourite as a kid...

I'll just think better at this option during the weekend. I have to decide how important these shortcut keys really are.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well, Jun 20, 2008

1. I took out the problematic keys (without disassembling the keyboard)
2. I cleaned them with alcohol
3. I dried the keyboard of any alcohol (silly, it dries instantly, but just to be sure...) with the hair-drier
4. I put the keys back into place
5. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE!!!!

Thank you for all your tips!!

Ivana Friis Søndergaard
Ivana Friis Søndergaard
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
English to Danish
+ ...
Well done! Jun 20, 2008

Isn't is nice when we can find ways to avoid work doing things that actually are important - and succeed!

Patricia Ramirez
Patricia Ramirez  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about a laptop? Jun 20, 2008

Great post!! Ok, so how do you keep the laptop keys clean???

Patricia

Thomas Ochiltree
Thomas Ochiltree  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:20
Latin to English
+ ...
Try Q-tips and water Jun 20, 2008

I don't know how messy it is, but I find usng Q-tips dipped in water works fine for genral cleaning of each key. Good luck.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:20
Spanish
+ ...
Keyboard cover Jun 20, 2008

You could use a keyboard cover like this ones:

They're made for laptops and desktops and some of them have 2 or more keyboard layouts. I've been trying to find those somewhere online but I haven'
... See more
You could use a keyboard cover like this ones:

They're made for laptops and desktops and some of them have 2 or more keyboard layouts. I've been trying to find those somewhere online but I haven't had any luck.

[Edited at 2008-06-20 18:31]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you keep you keyboard clean?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »